Can someone tell me what's the point of a dvd writer?

katerina

Im talking about a computer dvd writer not a standalone. I fail to see why i should shell out 40 dollars for something i dont need! My cd writer works fine it has overburn and can handle any oversize Xvid avi file around! I dont download DVD files because there to large and imho are a complete waste of bandwith! I also have a decent vidcard with tv out so there's no need to 'burn anything' unless im doing so for friends.

Complete waste of fuckin money imho BUY A DECENT GRAPHICS CARD with tv out and never be hassled by irritating file formats ever again!!!=life's to short to get into conversion process's just so you can watch your media on TV when all you need is a few video cables.

LETS GET REAL

Now lately ive been hearing about bluray and some other NEW dvd format?!!! I say hearing about it because right now the price point is retarded. Jesus Christ you would think consumers would smarten up!!! .......The way i look at it is I DONT EVEN WANT TO HEAR ABOUT NEW TECHNOLOGY UNLESS ITS DIRT CHEAP..

ALSO

What is the story with the Plasma TVs?!?! I was lead to believe the prices would go WAY DOWN this year and it just hasnt, especially when you compare the pricepoint of computer LCD (much better picture then plasma)monitors. This is all done because the average consumer is nothing more then 'ad fed cattle' who has no real clue as to how actual pricing fairness works.

I mostly use my DVD burner to backup data. I can burn 4.5GB to a DVD disc in about 6 minutes. Burning to a CD is limited to 700MB and still takes about 4 minutes. The price per MB is much cheaper for DVDs (about $0.20 to $0.30 a disc).

Increased storage space. Six 700MB avi's on six CDs or on one DVD. I have a decent GFX card and a DVI out to my LCD TV. Also I can back up my HD on 2 DVDs insted of 6 or 8 CDs. I also have the option to make a DVD movie from my home movies or other sources for friends and relatives who have DVD players.

Basically' date=' I use dvd disks to do large backups of data like games, music, and such that I need off the computer when I re-format. DVDs hold a lot more info than CDs.[/quote'] Fine provided you guys understand by no means is this permanent back up! The life of a burnt CD especially dvds drop dramatically after 5 years. Even the manufacturers have admitted to this..

Also what's the point of backing up data you can simply "re download" WTF either everyones on a 56dial up or im going nuts! There's simply no need to burn all these coasters when Hard drives are huge now and only getting bigger!

Some of you guys need to GET REAL sheesh..........

Some people do have data that they didn't get from a download from the net... :p

btw, hard disks are by no means a safe place to store files, once it fails (and that happens more often then you'd think), all data on it is permanently lost. Sure a dvd is not permanent either, but at least you've got an idea how long it will be there, while with a hard disk it could all just dissapear from one day to the next. (believe me, I've been through it and it s#cks) For real long time data-backups, tape-drives are still the best means, holds more data then a dvd too. But they are a sequential backup media, so if you need a file you're going to have to go through the entire tape ( at least for some part). I hear hologrphic media is on the rise, but it seems it is not affordable by any ordinary person.

Oh, one more thing, the do produce optical media with special coating that is 'guaranteed' (or so they say) to hold data for over 20 years, but it costs over 3 times as much as ordinary brand-name media.

One thing you can do with a dvd backup for example is make a copy of your OS partition and when you want to do a reinstall, you can just replace the image, sure you can do this with a seperate partition on the same hard drive, but what if the drive fails... dvd's don't fail, at least not anytime soon after they were written. And who cares if the dvd is no longer readable after 5 years, most current data has become obsolete by then... And if you really want to keep something (a homemade video of someone bithday or whatever), you can just make a copy of the dvd after 4-5 years and you're good to go for another 5...

If you buy a new computer I don't see the reason for not buying a dvd-writer.

cd-writer = $30

dvd-reader= $25

dvd-reader/cd-writer combo= $35

dvd-writer= $40

So suppose you rent a movie somewhere and want to watch it on your computer, you need a dvd-reader. But no backup possibilities is inaccceptable nowadays, so a cd-writer is the minimum requirement, that means you either have to spend $55 for both a dvd-reader and a cd-writer or buy a combo for $35, but since a full dvd-writer is only $5 extra, I really don't see why you shouldn't go for a dvd-writer. $5 expenditure for something you'll use for say 3 years isn't a lot, It's 14 cent/month...

My computers are made out of scrap so a dvd writer is something id have to buy!

I also cant purchase a high end graphics card because im not running the PCI interface, and the AGPs are grossly overpriced...... The industry forces you to make changes whether you like it or not! This sorta sucks imho and shouldnt be this way!!! the users should have the power not the other way around!

also this BS about Harddrives is "apples and oranges" you will get at least 1-2 years minimum out of a fairly decent HD. So whats the point of burning stuff when you have a high speed connection and can just redownload it HELLLOOOO im sorry maybe im missing something but burning DVDs are a total waste of money when you look at the overall picture.

Well, I'd agree with that, they try to make you want to buy new stuff all the time. But it isn't like you really need a dvd-writer, but when it's time to 'upgrade' the lot, there is no reason not to buy one. I'm also still on AGP btw. I have this policy about how long I want a computer to last and mine hasn't reached critical age yet (and won't this year I hope), that and I really can't afford a new one right now... It's still fast enough for everything I need it to do...

The best thing to do is wait for things to become mainstream, then you can get most things at reasonable prices. As far as technology is concerned at least. Look for the best price/performance ratio to get the most bang for the buck and stuff like that...

portable hard disk? though even more expensive. I actually calculated what would be the 'turning point' for amount of data when I bought a dvd writer, whether it would be cheaper to buy a portable hard disk of a dvd-writer with dvd's. I don't remember the exact sizes and prices, but generally for small amounts dvd-writer was cheaper, then at some point hard disks become cheaper and then some time later dvd-writers are cheaper again...

i burn my mp3s on dvd's so i can play them in my car, and with the the music i record i would rather it on dvd or cd, considering how many of my drives have failed, tho there was a warenty lol, but yeah there great for backing up shtuff, and its easier for me to share samples and vst's with my other band mates. Oh and some stuff u cant just download again, its sometimes like a one time find....anyone agree?

no no no!!

you lot are nutters!!!!

DVD-r are for bac-in-up the dvds you buy...

;)

I also use them to backup music, games and software that I have bought or made. That includes family photos and midis. They are also great for storing free software that I use in my business... when I have business. :(

Basically' date=' I use dvd disks to do large backups of data like games, music, and such that I need off the computer when I re-format. DVDs hold a lot more info than CDs.[/quote'] Fine provided you guys understand by no means is this permanent back up! The life of a burnt CD especially dvds drop dramatically after 5 years. Even the manufacturers have admitted to this..

Also what's the point of backing up data you can simply "re download" WTF either everyones on a 56dial up or im going nuts! There's simply no need to burn all these coasters when Hard drives are huge now and only getting bigger!

I am real. I'm also on a 56k hookup in the boondocks. High Speed requires money and a better location that I don't have. BTW, getting just the updates for Windows XP after I reformat usually requires most of the night. I do keep copies of the Service Pack 2 available on disk for me and customers to save download time. BUT, now it's almost time for a Service Pack 3.

I am real. I'm also on a 56k hookup in the boondocks. High Speed requires money and a better location that I don't have. BTW, getting just the updates for Windows XP after I reformat usually requires most of the night. I do keep copies of the Service Pack 2 available on disk for me and customers to save download time. BUT, now it's almost time for a Service Pack 3.

Dial up internet is a joke!

But i understand some people are geographically discriminated against when it comes to internet! Im looking at this issue and for me i have no need for a dvd writer. I have 1 200 gig internal and 1 120 gig external HD that's all you need and a cd burner imho. Like i said burnt copies are not permanent and everything else OSs games etc etc can be burnt to a cd if its a bigger filesize for a game you can just use a ghost drive or Daemon so.........but anyway i suppose id buy a dvd writer if my CD burner broke.........actually i have an old Matsui CD burner in a box somewhere.so im all set.

I dunno i have HS internet and download like crazy and believe me i get my monies worth. I also dont like the idea that you guys are going to be littering the landfills in the next few years with all these coasters! Another problem is that CDs are a petroleum byproduct and marines are being killed everyday so you guys can burn coasters!

while, I can see it is not a good thing that people feel it necessary to fight over oil, I must point out that they'd fight over it anyway, cd's and dvd's are not the biggest applications of oil. Oh, and if you don't want to buy a dvd-wtiter because of it, I must also point out that cd-writer media (cd-r's) are based on the same princible, so then you'd have to do away with your cd-burner as well, to be fair.

One other thing I found on wikipedia:

There are three basic formulations of dye used in CD-Rs:

1. Cyanine dyes were the earliest ones developed, and their formulation is patented by Taiyo Yuden. Cyanine dyes are mostly green or light blue in color, and are chemically unstable. This made cyanine discs unsuitable for archival use; they can fade and become unreadable in a few years. Many manufacturers like Taiyo Yuden use proprietary chemical additives to make more stable cyanine discs ("metal stabilized Cyanine", "Super Cyanine").

2. Azo dye CD-Rs are dark blue in color, and their formulation is patented by Mitsubishi Chemicals. Unlike cyanine, azo dyes are chemically stable, and typically rated with a lifetime of decades.

3. Phthalocyanine dye CD-Rs are usually silver, gold or light green. The patents on pthalocyanine CD-Rs are held by Mitsui and Ciba Specialty Chemicals. These are also chemically stable, and often given a rated lifetime of hundreds of years.

There are many hybrid variations of the dye formulations, such as Formazan by Kodak (a hybrid of cyanine and phthalocyanine) and Super Azo by Mitsubishi Chemicals.

At present, stated CD-R lifetimes are only estimates based on accelerated aging tests as the technology has not been in existence long enough to verify the upper range. With proper care it is thought that CD-Rs should be readable one thousand times or more and have a shelf life of several hundred years. Unfortunately, some common practices can reduce shelf life to only one or two years. Therefore, it is important to handle and store CD-Rs properly if you wish to read them more than a year or so later.

So, if you buy the correct type/brand and take care of your media, you can keep them for let's say at least between 10 and 20 years. Much longer than you'd ordinarily use a hdd.

And one more thing, as I've pointed out, the relative cost of a dvd-writer compared to a portable hard disk is variable. If you can buy a 120 gig external hdd, you most certainly can buy a dvd-writer, since it's cheaper, certainly compared to a 120 gig drive. It takes 26 dvd's to hold the same amount of data, 26 blanco dvd's can be had for less than $15. A dvd-writer is $40, totaling to $55, while a 120 gig portable hdd, can easily cost over $80 if you don't mind the 'bulk' of a 3.5" model (that's 45% more expensive than the dvd-r solution), if you want a 'truely' portable hdd, you're out at least $260 for a 2.5" model (with capacity of 120 gig of course). One more advantage is that, once the 120 gig hdd is filled, you have to delete data or stop accumulating it. Incase of the dvd-writer, you just buy another bundle (and still be off cheaper than had you bought the hdd). :)

well if u manage to fill all that space in less then a month then would you consider dvd's? jus wondering, since having a dvd burner i have burnd more then 100 dvd's...wanted to know wat u think....tho i do think a flash drive would be nice..if they were cheeper, then i'd just buy a bunch of those :)

well if u manage to fill all that space in less then a month then would you consider dvd's? jus wondering' date=' since having a dvd burner i have burnd more then 100 dvd's...wanted to know wat u think....tho i do think a flash drive would be nice..if they were cheeper, then i'd just buy a bunch of those :)[/quote']

wow, that's probably over 450 gig of data you have burned... Where on earth did you get that much data? :o

im in the music biz....kinda, its more like a hobby, but i have rack simulators, vst's and hundreds of thousands of wave loops, as well as midi controle modual simulators....oh man i could go on forever...and i didnt even mention my mp3 album collection

Everyones up early this morning or we're all in different timezones....

Maybe it's because im proactive in defragging my drives but i seem to be able to get at least 5 years out of them. Ive only replaced 1 drive so far and i download and delete lots of files to make room....I rarely have to delete files since i have alot of HD space. Usually what happens is my OS becomes corrupted eventually and i have to reinstall Windows before that happens.

I rarely burn CDs maybe once in a blue moon but getting back to plastics! This Country=USA needs to start micromanaging anything to do with petroleum I MEAN EVERYTHING. Sure it isnt near the problem as say interstate trucking still it's an issue. I look around and everything i see is plastic and based on petrol im tired of it........ when you really think about it the cds and dvds you guys buy are basically all plastic even the case they come in? WTF when is this Country going to start smartening up or does it only matter when someone they know is killed over in the gulf fighting the retard war.