Star Wars!!

AdmiralSCL

Star Wars goes under other sci-fi on this forum and is normally placed in the General Science Fiction section. Compared to the other shows that get an entire section, availabilty of different Star Wars material is either, rather small or less recent, so it wouldn't really need a seperate section. But you can find a few nice threads about Star Wars in mentioned section. :)

Also, Star Wars may take place in space, but contrary to popular belief, it's not Science Fiction. It's Fantasy. Even Star Trek discusses scientific principles on occasion. Star Wars movies never do and virtually everything is chalked up to "The Force".

Well back to this again Star Trek is dead but we still have a thread.

There are a further 3 star wars films ( the final 3) that have yet to be made. Lucus has said that he wont make them but that doesn't mean they wont be made.

To say star wars is fantasy is crazy alien races, X wings, Tie fighters, various other forms of craft and of course the death star Sci Fi thru and thru. I see nothin that says fantasy and that says it is any less sci fi than star trek or babylon 5 either.

Put it this way if you take the alien races and technology out of ST or B5 then you have a soap opera.

EDIT:- I would choke picard... wouldn't need to use my Jedi powers to do it either

FURTHER EDIT :- Jedi is the 5th largest official religion on this planet.

Anyone that wants to start the Science Fiction/Science Fantasy/Space Opera thing can gtfo as far as I'm concerned. Go argue with a brickwall, it'll be as productive. It's got spaceships, it's got aliens, it's got giant "lasers" - it's got science, it's definitely fiction - not something worth quibbling over.

Honestly, the final 3 films were never outlined very well by Lucas in his original 9 film vision - which he's already totally betrayed. Maybe it'll happen after Lucas dies but my breath is neither baited nor held.

To say star wars is fantasy is crazy alien races, X wings, Tie fighters, various other forms of craft and of course the death star Sci Fi thru and thru. I see nothin that says fantasy and that says it is any less sci fi than star trek or babylon 5 either.

Put it this way if you take the alien races and technology out of ST or B5 then you have a soap opera.

Science fiction expands upon science fact. Name one scientific principle that could potentially enable a light saber to work. "The Force" isn't science. "The Force" is magic. Magic is Fantasy. Give me one example of anytime in the Star Wars franchise where a scientific principle or theory is even mentioned by any of the characters. To use your example, if you take the alien races and technology out of Star Wars you have nothing more than a movie similar to King Arthur or maybe an old Western. So it's crazy to say Star Wars is fantasy? Really? Are you telling me Star Wars is real then? ;)

Name one principle? Hmmm... magnetically contained, superheated plasma using a long thin containment field?

... but yeah, much of Star Wars is definitely in the realm of science fantasy, if not pure fantasy. Then again, I'd argue that many elements of Star Trek are also science fantasy...

Name one principle? Hmmm... magnetically contained, superheated plasma using a long thin containment field?

... but yeah, much of Star Wars is definitely in the realm of science fantasy, if not pure fantasy. Then again, I'd argue that many elements of Star Trek are also science fantasy...

True, but at least with Trek we have Spock to throw a little Logic into any given situation. :)

Good explanation on a light saber, by the way.

You -are- talking about the Ewoks cartoon? ;p (that's the only Star Wars cartoon I know of, unless... you mean Clone Wars? I've heard that one was actually good...)

... what about my bust? It's a nice bust... I sculpted it myself. Unless you're talking about some other sort of bust... does that mean you're looking at my bust? o_O... but, but... I'm a guy!

(Note: I have no sculpted bust. It's a joke.)