The Tenth Planet

Megalith

Ive just watched the tenth planet again and it made me ask myself how come the doctor knows the cybermen. There are several instances of this:-

He recognises Mundas.

He knows they will come to earth in spaceships.

He knows they are called Cybermen.

The first time i watched this i thought maybe i had missed an episode but alas i have not.

Now i have 2 theories:-

He Encountered them in the days before An unearthly child when he was younger.

He meets them in a later Episode Perhaps the Tennant story huh. This leads me to the conclusion that his lives are cyclical.

The first theory is more likely tho i suppose huh. There is an idea here of a spin off series about the doctors life up until an unearthly child

"Cybermen. You know our history. Even in our most currupt period the Cybermen were never allowed to play the game; like the Daleks they play too well." - The Five Doctors.

The above quote would seem to indicate that the Time Lords have known of the Cybermen for eons.

Thats the trouble with time travel, you never know things like who, what, why, where and when! If he recognised the Cybermen in Tenth Planet during his Hartnell generation, then why didnt he know the Daleks first time round, as this was set waaaaay in Skaros future, long after the Neutron Wars of Genesis etc.

It could also just be the fact that as the Daleks were not allowed to play, the Hartnell Doctor didn't know much about them and the name didn't register. Or he could have forgotten due to the old age of his first body.

Also, since the Dalkes seemed to develope Time Travel as a means of hunting down the Doctor it seems possible that he might have altered the timeline and contributed to the Daleks making some sort of "Comeback". He was quite willing to give the Dalkes the secrets of the TARDIS in the first story-maybe he did.

In defence i wouldnt really call it sloppy wirting and continuity, the people making the show back in the early 60s had no way of knowing that it would even make it to season 2, let alone how popular the daleks would become :)

Also the first doctor might have heard a recording of the ridiculous voices that the original cybermen made and instantly recogninsed them from that............... I hope they are going to use that squeaky farting voice in the new series as well :)

I suppose so, but this is of course why RTD has regenerated the show. Yes it's Doctor Who, but if he hates something from the past, he'll cut it right out and redesign it. It could be that he's fed up with the old cyberman history and this is his way of re-inventing it for the modern audiences, wipe out the Doctor's past, deal with the continuity problems in one shot.

The Time War, perfect way of nixing things that he doesn't want to think about.

The Master, yeah, he loves him but I doubt we'll see him until season 3 or 4, perhaps not even then.

He's got a big playground now, and Doctor Who is expanding.

undoubtedly the daleks able to timetravel (well more precisely they timetrack) was a result of meeting the doctor. So in that sense it is no surprise the doctor hadnt heard about them, but then the cybermen havent worked that one out yet.

A question about the daleks that always got me was their ability to recognise the doctor after regeneration. Tho later this was played down by the script writers.

The sloppy writing and continuity would be more on the 80's folk, especially Saward as he wrote the "...like the Daleks..." line to build the Cybermen up as a bigger threat because he prefered them to the Daleks. In fact he told Dicks not to even have Daleks in the Five Doctors. Dicks, rightly, pointed out that an anniversary celebration had to have Daleks in it and eventually he was allowed one Dalek.

Heres a terrifying fact about Terrence Dicks...... Did you know he was well aware of the junkings of episodes in the early 70s? He was actually asked by the BBC what episodes they should retain and apparently he just wasnt interested. Should I add him to my people to hate list? :( I mean, he could have blown the whistle in 72, and we would have a lot more black and white troughton now, like the web of fear and stuff......................