Proof the MPAA is choosing the easy - not the right - target

Tenebrae

Yeah, I didn't really believe those numbers.

For me the basic assumption has always been the maths behind it was...

Number of illegal downloads x average retail value = cost of piracy.

Which is obvious rubbish. A large number of people download stuff they would never part both paying for.

But yes, corporations make up numbers pretty well and as the RIAA and MPAA are both representing corporate interests, it's not surprising if there maths figure in a little bit of... creativity.

Another figure they arrive at is based on ticket sales of a film i.e. film a/ sold 1.2 last year but film b/ sold .8 this year so is a .4 drop over the year.... that film b/ is rubbish and no one wants to see it isnt taken into account. has there in fact been a single film over the last 12 months that is a must see? the nearest imo is king kong and that was rubbish, when compared to say the Lord of the rings and star wars films of recent years.

Guest c4evap
Piracy figures

Of course, it would be pretty hard to stop illegal copying. Pretty easy to sue people downloading.

Yes...copying. I have a "friend" who regularly rents DVDs and rips them to his/her hard drive then encodes them to fit a standard DVD. Without me making that statement...how are they gonna know just how much of that goes on?

Oh course Nite is an easy target. "Those people" (and I use the term people very loosly) always go after the easy targets.

c4 :thinking:

Yeah, I just love that figure. They're losing 6 billion a year. Poor babies. That explains all the executives and producers I see at the welfare office and lunch lines.

I love how they try to link illegal dvd sales to terrorism too. Doesn't that mean I'm fighting terrorism by downloading for free and not buying a bootleg from the local Al-Quaeda operative down the block?

When it boils right down to it, many people buy DVDs and many MORE just RENT from rental stores, which have copies that are already paid for. If anything they are hurt more than MPAA members.

Yeah, I didn't really believe those numbers.

For me the basic assumption has always been the maths behind it was...

Number of illegal downloads x average retail value = cost of piracy.

Which is obvious rubbish. A large number of people download stuff they would never part both paying for.

But yes, corporations make up numbers pretty well and as the RIAA and MPAA are both representing corporate interests, it's not surprising if there maths figure in a little bit of... creativity.

Nothing to add, thats the first thing that cae to mind for me.