Movie: X3

I've mixed feelings about it... First off - too short. It was what, 90 minutes? I would have raised an eyebrow if Brian Singer had tried it but a hack like Ratner could never hope to pull epic out of the hat in that amount of time.

As I said before... it felt kind of directionless... It was if, it wasn't really sure where it was going. Certainly for the first half... then it was just, buildup to the fight. They took the focus away from Logan... but then, didn't really replace it with anyone else and while that SOUNDS good, I think that's why it felt directionless.

I feel like I need to see it again to properly hone my criticism but... I'm not sure I want to fork out the cash. I might just wait until it's (no doubt imminent) DVD release.

I liked it, although i would have preferred it if somethings hadn't happened like that. Like i didn't want Jean Grey to die, but oh well. To say in England it was called The Last Stand, they kinda left the ending with something to go.

Anyway overall, it was a good movie.

It was OK if you don't over analyze it. Felt like a remake of X2 with the fluid extract of a mutant being a main plot point and a war between humans and mutants. If you know the history of the project you can better appreciate it. If you think it felt rushed, it was. The release date was chosen before a script was even commisioned and the whole thing had to be written, re-written, shot, edited and finished in time to make that release date in order to beat Singer's Superman to theaters. With all the mistakes FOX made along the way (starting with not signing Singer) it's a miracle the movie is as good as it is. Kudos go to the team that rewrote the script because it's a vast improvement over the original (thank God they jettisoned the Wolverine/Storm sex bunny subplot).

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, come on. I bet the Wachoski Brothers said that before The Matrix became a massive hit and then it was magically "always going to be a trilogy".

There's an easy way to tell when someone from Hollywood is lying - their mouth's open.

I liked it, although i would have preferred it if somethings hadn't happened like that. Like i didn't want Jean Grey to die, but oh well. To say in England it was called The Last Stand, they kinda left the ending with something to go.

Anyway overall, it was a good movie.

If it helps at all, Jean Grey also dies in the comics because of Phoenix as well, but she gets resurrected. A lot of Marvel characters have a real problem with staying dead. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I just hate it when movie makers ignore source material... (Arch)Angel was Cyclops' brother and Juggernaut (F**king ANUS Vinnie Jones) is Xavier's half brother.

STICK TO THE STORYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!

End of rant.

NO, Cyclops(Scott Summers) brother Havok(Alex Summers) didn't have wings.

He possessed the power to absorb ambient cosmic energy, process it and emanate it from his body as waves of plasma in the form of a blast or discharge, with a tell-tale concentric circle pattern.

See wiki on Havok

You are correct that Juggernaut is Prof. X's half brother.

Guest Mrthumps

I personally think the movies tended to follow the ultimate Xmen canon more than the uncanny xmen comics we all grew up with.

that being said, at times Xmen3 felt like a big budget fanfiction as you could clearly see the writing removing main characters just to suit the purpose of their story.

memo to Carnifex - Archangel does not appear until quite later in the series and that's only after he loses his original wings. It's when he is made into a horseman and given the metal wings that he takes the name Archangel. But you are right about juggernaut and don't get me started on how badly they messed up that character.

NO, Cyclops(Scott Summers) brother Havok(Alex Summers) didn't have wings.

He possessed the power to absorb ambient cosmic energy, process it and emanate it from his body as waves of plasma in the form of a blast or discharge, with a tell-tale concentric circle pattern.

See wiki on Havok

You are correct that Juggernaut is Prof. X's half brother.

Big, big OOPS....

Now that you say it, I KNOW I'm wrong.

(Scratches head... how the hell did I get that mixed up, hrumph!)

@Mrthumps yep, that's why I put parenthisis around the "Arch" part :)

I don't read X-men, but I understand that Archangel has his feathery wings back?!?!?!?

Juggernaut is a mutant in the Ultimate universe.

Archangel does get his regular wings back, I think...

A friend of mine has basically explained why this film was lame. The guy in charge hates comic book movies (some Fox exec). Anyway, Singer fussed and then basically gave up on it and went to do Superman Returns. Ratner was just the yes-man they put in to direct because he'd do what he was told. Cyclops was killed because the actor was involved in the Superman movie...

Yeah, sucktalur.

Guest Mrthumps
Juggernaut isn't even supposed to be a mutant. He gets his power from some artifact. There's a lot of crap like that in this movie.

Yep, he finds the ruby/crystal of Cyttorak during his time in the army in Asia.

The crystal read: "Whosoever touches this gem shall possess the power of the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak. Henceforth, you who read these words shall become forevermore a human juggernaut."

Archangel does get his regular wings back' date=' I think... [/quote']

yes, in a pure comic book scenerio

the metal wings he had molted and when finished revieled his original wings underneth

and no worries Carnifex, I just happened to have read alot of xmen comics in my day and recently found myself getting addicted to the ultimate xmen(along with ultimate spiderman and the ultimates themselves).

Yes, The Ultimate Universe is basically the Marvel version of that DC universe CRISIS thing where they could update the characters. Screwed things up for longtime fans but made it easier for newbie readers to get into the stories.

The movies are still another version of the characters. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Juggernaut is a mutant in the Ultimate universe.

Archangel does get his regular wings back, I think...

A friend of mine has basically explained why this film was lame. The guy in charge hates comic book movies (some Fox exec). Anyway, Singer fussed and then basically gave up on it and went to do Superman Returns. Ratner was just the yes-man they put in to direct because he'd do what he was told. Cyclops was killed because the actor was involved in the Superman movie...

Yeah, sucktalur.

The Ultimate Universe sucks. They re-did the story and had a chance to ditch Cyclops but didn't? What's up with that? The fact that Cyclops got killed in X3 was the only worthwhile thing in that movie, besides Beast.

• 4 weeks later...