dynamic ads

greyCell

i don't know if any of you guys but a while back after all the niteshdw.com problem began i had a long discussion about making legal bittorent supported by dynamic ads "it is not my idea, i heard it on a lecture by a professor working in an institute in australia". he suggested that a small ad that looks like the logo of the network would totally cover the price of production and distribtuion if a bittorent solution was adopted, and he had suggested hard wiring the ads to the content "embedding them in the video" but i have another idea "not sayinn better".

what if we make a small prog embedded into the codecs it could display the same stuff difference is that, the ads could change overtime, and a company could sell ad rights to a company for a month then sell it for another company the next month.

it would need a company that handles getting the ads to the computers, each type of company like this will be affiliated with the distribution center of the torrent files which should tell the user to download the ads program, and then the program would scan the media "which would be marked to identifiy series and episode" and download the appropriate ad logo like thingie.

what i would like to do is this, i would like to make such a system, find someone who makes a free fan show of some sort and convince them to approach a company with an offer for putting its ads on it.

but i confess im not a good programmer yet , my 6 years in chemical engineering "its a long story don't ask" laregely postponed my plans, i know programming but i not familiar with the windows API "not saying i do not know how to use it just saying not fammiliar", and i have zero experience in video programming.

i think the easiest way is too make a modified version of the codec pack and embed the system in it, because trying to make it work with usual codec packs is propably gonna prove an impossible job to do.

so what do you people think, i don't need someone to help me, i need adoption of the project because this requires a much higher level of design that i do not have.

i think the p2p community sohlud be the one to do this else the solution the corporates come with will be the video equivalent of internet ads. with us we could ensure that ads are not irritating, and make sure that we encourage the user to install our system but insure it works without it so no one would be screwd because he cant rach the app.

anyway i have alot of technical details in mind but ill keep them for later.

i also watched that, it was some conference. I thought it was a good idea.

It would a show a little watermark of the nike symbol or the golden gates for mcdonalds. Seems a good idea.

He was talking about using bittorrent for tv, and then these watermarks being added to tv shows. I thought it was a good idea and that the tv companies would be more likely to allow this. He didn't talk about things being in the codec i don't think, i believe he just did a watermark like that which niteshdw did for his next generation encodes.

However, i guess it could be possible. In the official divX codec it shows a watermark at the beginning. It is an option which you can turn off, but i guess you could have it so that it downloads something off the internet. But the problem is, what if the computer was not connected to the internet? Would the show not work?

Does anyone know of a link to the original presentation?

yeah the codec idea is mine

i changed his idea because this new twist will aloow the company to sell ads rights to one company for a while then sell it to another company after the first contract is over. but if we hardwire the ads they are there for life.

well i dont think the part with the compouter not connected to the internet part is really that important i mean if someone got a show of bittorent in most cases he is bound to have an internet connection , but yeah there are scenarios where someone would get the show from a freind, i havent decided everything yet but my plan is to make the download of this codec highly recommended to the user but not force him so that we leave the door open for un expected scinarios. so the answer is my plan is to make the content work without the special codec of course we are going to have to work on something that encourages people to download the modified codec.

while i do have a bittorent link to the original lecture im not sure it complies to the new policy of the forum, but you cans earch for the future of bittorrent on torrentspy.

It would definately have to be written in as part of the codec. I know that DivX 6 supports a lot of additional material, like subtitles and menus. I don't think that it would be too far to add the ability to pull ads from a server (or if not online, use ads built into the file). That would still allow people to download, watch, and burn just as they do now, but the ads would always be there (When converting formats, say to DVD, the original is decoded through the codec, so the ads would be burned into the output video).

I, personally, really hate the FLASH videos you see online (YouTube, Google), because the quality is so bad, and there's no (easy) way of saving a local copy.

Its the way forward, but there are two problems that spring to mind.

Any thing that appears on your computer screen can in some way be captured, if not by collating the data from your cache then by capturing it in real time. This is apparent in the fact that there is a delay in the widespread implementation of HD hard media distribution on account of the fact that the only way to truly prevent piracy is by taking the rather extreme and problematic measure of embedding the decryption process in the display device. This means that any service which provides encoded advertising can be deconstructed and reformulated into an uninterrupted torrent distributed file.

Secondly, any advertising which is branded into the actual runtime of any media is limited by the fact that all it can do is remind someone of a brand name, it cannot actually go to significant lengths to describe new products or remind consumers of the benefits of existing ones.

However, since advertising is insane on a conceptual level, itself being a sign of a warped concept of the significance of the power of mass influence, the basic problems of rationality of effective influence may not detter advertisers.

When it comes down to it, if advertising were to be branded into television entertainment in a way which genuinly informative, it would render visual entertainment next to unwatchable. We may have to take a step back here and consider that we may in some way deserve this on account of totally usurping the means of distribution, all that is left is power over means of production.

• 1 month later...

actually some people have suggested that the displaying of the logo will imbedd itself in the viewers subconsious, and when he heads to the market he will feel a familiarity with the product, of course this could just be a load of mumbo jumbo persudo science.

any ads can be removed, i do not argue that they cant be, im saying if they are un annoying no one will try to , or maybe very few people will, because of course will get some purists who will cliam any ad is evil.