Sci fi books

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also recommend the star wars extended universe novels. They are of varying quality but I found the best ones were the first Timothy Zahn trilogy made back in the early 90s. I read them some time ago and they were really well written. They came right on time too as interest in star wars remained strong and certainly went up as Episode I came closer and closer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

At risk of being called an heretic, I certainly advise not to read Phillip K Dick, with the exception of his short tales, the man certainly knew how to turn a great idea into a dull read. His characters are plain, dull, lack deepness and seem to unreal to engage. No wonder why he's probably the sci-fi writer that has been adapated more times and more succesfully of all times -maybe with the exception of jules verne-

Also some suggestions:

George Tunner: The Sea & The Summer

Jack McDevitt: The engines of god

Neal Stephenson: Snowcrash

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate to suggest authors instead of read-worthy books they've written. As authors go, they have their good days and bad, so recommending just an author isn't really the way to go.

One of my favorite sci-fi books is "The Sheep Look Up" by John Brunner, published in 1967. It's the story of a world gone "green" and the horrors such meddling invites.

I'll backtrack, here, to revise my first paragraph about suggesting just the authors rather than their works and say that anything by Fredric Brown -- a masterful short story author -- is worth the time. You'll recognize a lot of his work that's been turned into movie and television scripts, especially "The Arena" which was a StarTrek episode featuring Kirk vs. the Gorn.

Also, if you can locate them, the science fantasy mystery series penned by Glen Cook is wonderful. You'll probably only find them in book bins or rummage sales, and all in paperback form. I have three of the books (Red Iron Nights, Dread Brass Shadows, and Old Tin Sorrows) and each is fresh, funny and amazing. There are three other books in this series that I'm still trying to find: Cold Copper Tears, Sweet Silver Blues, and Bitter Gold Hearts.

• 10 years later...