Perplexing problem with hybrid automobiles

Cornelius Bezelton

What people fail to grasp or havent really thought about yet is the disposal problem of used non functional Hybrid batteries. Backyard mechanics are already claiming 100mpg + with the addition of extra batteries. Have any of the wizards in the EPA thought about this? The answer is startling no. Since im not very well versed in chemical recycling principals does anyone have a solution or do people believe they can simply drop them at the local landfill?

humm douno...... really

batterys (normal AA), cna only be charged 1000 times... even if you drive/ charge every day thats 3 years life!!

what i'm saying is that i'd rather have 1000 batteries per 3 years that the eqivalent pollotion (1000cars x 3years!!!= quiet a bit...)...

no really i don't know what kind of batteris are used but i guess you can still use the chemicals.. but ony the electrodes need replacing..

:/

humm douno...... really

batterys (normal AA), cna only be charged 1000 times... even if you drive/ charge every day thats 3 years life!!

what i'm saying is that i'd rather have 1000 batteries per 3 years that the eqivalent pollotion (1000cars x 3years!!!= quiet a bit...)...

no really i don't know what kind of batteris are used but i guess you can still use the chemicals.. but ony the electrodes need replacing..

:/

Right right, those statistics work out, still i think it prudent to have a plan in place. Since there predicting 1 million hybrids on the road by 2008. Therefore according to my calculations in 2011 taken into account the hybrids currently in use + the new influx of hybrids this is the year we start encountering this issue. Having a high tech factory that's sole purpose is to strip the chemicals and then either recharge or use in another product is very very smart. Still judging by the obesity of the north american consumer base it's just not a likely scenario. Using History as a template North American consumers(Americans) tend not to worry about these tedious issues until it bites them in the rear end.

Using History as a template North American consumers(Americans) tend not to worry about these tedious issues until it bites them in the rear end.

Just curious. What are the European's plans for these batteries? I'm assuming that they will also have a large increase in hybrid cars and face the same problems (of course we are assuming that there will be a problem). What are their plans before this comes back to bite them in the rear end?

Using History as a template North American consumers(Americans) tend not to worry about these tedious issues until it bites them in the rear end.

Just curious. What are the European's plans for these batteries? I'm assuming that they will also have a large increase in hybrid cars and face the same problems (of course we are assuming that there will be a problem). What are their plans before this comes back to bite them in the rear end?

touche! as of yet i dont see anything on the drawing board. My main concern is the Americans since they have more autos per household then anyone in the world. Yet you bring up a valid point, VERY VALID thankfully there's busy bodies as myself who dream of these scenarios constantly. Rest assured Europe will be ready, then again we have a far superior rail system which helps deflect the gratitous use of autos unlike are brethren in the United States. This is exactly why one must think 3-4 years ahead of the problem.

As TOP GEAR presenter Jeremy Clarkson said, don't buy a hybrid. They're 'orrible little tin cans.

Diesels have been, and STILL do get better MPG. It's the US's reluctance to raise diesel fuel quality standards that's screwing the diesel car market here. And GERMANY, has the better rail system. The rest of the world could learn from them.

As TOP GEAR presenter Jeremy Clarkson said, don't buy a hybrid. They're 'orrible little tin cans.

Diesels have been, and STILL do get better MPG. It's the US's reluctance to raise diesel fuel quality standards that's screwing the diesel car market here. And GERMANY, has the better rail system. The rest of the world could learn from them.

You must be unaware of the new standards. Actually, most of the problem is the result of the '80s. The US automakers heavily promoted Diesels as the wave of the future. Unfortunately, these cars were not able to live up to the hype. The Diesel's image was damaged in a way that only now is beginning to be reversed.

You must be unaware of the new standards. Actually, most of the problem is the result of the '80s. The US automakers heavily promoted Diesels as the wave of the future. Unfortunately, these cars were not able to live up to the hype. The Diesel's image was damaged in a way that only now is beginning to be reversed.

Diesel fuel is slated to be used in home heating systems. The wave of the future will be the hybrids and different powerplant technologies such as on demand 6 cylinder which will require even more batteries and a bigger chassis design thus@ larger mass=increased energy consumption.

Euhm, I don't want to be a 'smart-ass', but a diesel-equivalent (besides some additives completely the same) has been used as fuel for heating since before the 2nd WW. So slated to be used?????

Anyway, current diesel engines have a very high efficiency, a modern 2.0l diesel can have an average fuel consumption of less than 5l/100km when used in a 1500kg car, and that is in actual use, not some standard test which allways turns out lower than real consumption. Tests would probably have it at 4.0 - 4.5 l.

But any fossile fuel is obviously not 'the way of the future'. There is a limited amount. Nuclear fusion is still the best longer term bet imo. Combined with better energy storage devices (ex. better batteries, meaning: last longer (both single usage and multiple usage), pollute less (heavy metals/chemicals and such)). In the end all available energy sources will probably become depleted, but that will not be anytime soon... :)