STAR TREK XI

Antipodean

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lexx was bloody awful - to me it always seemed like a B-Grade Yankee version of Red Dwarf, with way too much infantile toilet humour thrown in for kicks.

Anyhow, getting back on topic, lets just hope that any new Trek gets a bit more respectful as far as the sexual objectifiation of women is concerned. Star Trek isn't about pulling things down to the lowest common denominator, its about raising the bar.

While we're talking about sexual objectification... is it just me or in the Second episode of TNG's 1st Season, when Riker comes on board the Enterprise for the first time and asks the this really short crewman for directions... after she's shown him how to use the Computer to find his way, is she checking his arse out as he walks off or what?

Wasn't Lexx a Canada/German thing? And yes... it was pretty awful and ironic that you draw the Red Dwarf comparison - Lister appeared in it.

The first season of TNG had those god damned awful short skirts for men and women. Man... I'm glad they got rid of those.

Yeah - Trek needs to stop being lowest common denominator... but at the same time, I'm not sure it can go back to its preaching ways.

Yeh, but who can forget another halmark of early TNG, the unisex skirt or 'scant.'

AHHAAHAHHAHHAHH!

You can't blame them for trying but it really should be added to the book of heroic failures, I mean, the only way it could be seen as anything other than a pathetic doomed short lived attempt to draw attention to how they'd bumped the timeline forward would be if the male members of the main cast were to wear them from time to time, Worf would have looked particularly good, and maybe the show would have seemed so terrible that Patrick Stewart really wouldn't have needed to unpack his suitcase after six weeks.

The scant, god rest its soul.

Guest c4evap

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...wonder what the uniforms will look like for the new Trek movie. Anyone heard/seen anything?

c4 :thinking:

If it's Spock and Kirk: The Kegger Years... they'll presumably be something similar to the TOS style uniforms.

But let's face it, they're unlikely to be too bothered with continuity. I wonder which woman they'll stick into a catsuit. One has to assume, given that MATT DAMON is involved - it's likely to be one of the neo-brat pack.

If they cared about continuity, they'd use the "sweater" style uniforms seen in The Cage (via "The Menagerie") and "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

But, they probably won't, so they might end up being Enterprise-style. (Then again, the fact that they're using the original logo style on the poster, combined with the gold/blue does give SOME hope...)

I think they replaced the uniforms from the first two pilots because they were a bit crappy, more so in the second than the first, Shatner looked bad in it and you could always blatantly see the zipper running across the shoulder.

Guest c4evap
I think they replaced the uniforms from the first two pilots because they were a bit crappy' date=' more so in the second than the first, Shatner looked bad in it and you could always blatantly see the zipper running across the shoulder.[/quote']

Zipper? I always thought that was just a dotted line so the baddies would know where to tear Kirk's uniform :p

First look at Matt Damon's love interest in the new Trek movie:

mabley_m.jpg

c4 :D

• 1 month later...

Lol, Matt Damon as Kirk, Ben Affleck as Spock??? :P

Seriously though I hope they go between ENT and TOS, there's lots of good stuff in there: the creation of the Federation, the Romulan war, ect... ect... Of course doing the Romulan war would kind of suck, since they aren't supposed to see eachother until TOS...

The Romulan war would have been great in Enterprise.

When watching the new version of Balance of Terror, it seemed that the most convincing time for the Romulan war to take place would have been prior to Enterprise, what with the whole, no ship-to-ship communication thing, Spock generally describes a period that sounds leess advanced than Enterprise.

But in the same episode it seems Kirk suggests Romulus and Remus are in different star systems, then they seem to be in the same system in Nemesis, with the Remans being these funny vampire monsters that we never saw before.

And in TOS there is said to be an alliance between the Romulans and Klingons, principally so they could use a load of model kit Klingon battlecruisers to surround the Enterprise, presumeably there was no romulan bird of prey model kit It would also seem that it was not possible to compositeseveral different shots of the same model in one shot for some reason. Yet this is totally at odds with the Romulans and Klingons hating each other in TNG.

And the Romulans look different in TNG from TOS.

So there isn't really an awful lot of continuity on the Romulan front.

Oh, and humans could find out what the Romulans look like, but they would have to die or never tell anyone.

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since there was any ST XI news...

The Starship Enterprise finally has a new captain.

After months of speculation, J.J. Abrams has signed on to direct the next installment of the "Star Trek" feature franchise, sources said late Friday. "Star Trek XI" revolves around a young James T. Kirk and Mr. Spock, chronicling their first meeting at Starfleet Academy and their first space mission.

Abrams, the prolific co-creator/executive producer of "Lost" and director of "Mission: Impossible III" has been developing the project through his Paramount-based Bad Robot shingle as a producer and writer.

But Abrams did not commit to directing the project until Friday evening, when the deal was finalized, sources say. Abrams reps at WMA and those at Paramount declined comment.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

And some ST XI related rumours...

IGN Movies has learned from studio sources which actors may play the Big Three in Paramount's Star Trek XI. By the "Big Three," we mean, of course, Captain James T. Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

Confirming rumors that have been making the rounds for some months now, IGN has learned that Oscar winner Matt Damon is indeed in talks with Paramount about playing the role of Jim Kirk, previously immortalized onscreen by Emmy winner William Shatner.

For the part of Kirk's Vulcan first officer Mr. Spock, IGN has been told that none other than Oscar winner Adrien Brody (King Kong, The Pianist) is in talks with Paramount to play the role.

IGN has also been told that Oscar nominee Gary Sinise -- currently seen on the small screen in CSI: NY -- is in talks for the role of Dr. McCoy, the ornery and politically incorrect ship's physician aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise.

Read more at the source: IGN

bahhh hope I am wrong but....Star Trek XI unless its with a crew and actors we all know and love...this could flop and when I say flop I mean badly and could kill it off totally!!

I just pray this has a wicked script coz if it aint then kiss goodbye any further star treks

Yep, I don't like what I see either. I thought they were going to bring new people to play the legendary roles of Kirk, Spock and McCoy and now these rumors... You know, I was optimistic when Trek XI was first announced, but now I'm more inclined to think it will suck big time. If things continue like this, Trek XI will be nothing more than one of those crappy Hollywood movies full of action and special effects, but without all the things Star Trek stands for. I really hope I'm wrong.

It's Abrahms - if you've seen Alias or Lost, then abandon hope. It'll be up itself - which I suppose is at least Trek style. The idea of a rehash of Kirk is clearly flawed. Enterprise showed us going back didn't help anyone... good to see we're making the same mistake again. BIGGER, BOLDER, BETTER!