Martha Jones

Antilles

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always figured that regeneration is impossible when the body is damaged beyond a certain degree (i.e. none of the Doctor's regenerations involved a sudden death (well, other than the TV movie... but it seems to be an exception in a LOT of ways)).  Has a Time Lord been shot by a Dalek beam weapon and regenerated?  They definitely don't regenerate when shot with Gallifreyan stazers, and I assume they can't regenerate if their entire bodies are destroyed.

Then again... the rules might have been changed somewhat in the new series...

Yeah, I don't think that the regeneration is a get out of jail free card for injury. I'd wager if someone tossed some manner of anti-gravity cricket ball at the Doctor, he'd struggle to regenerate.

I mean, I don't think we've ever actually seen the Doctor mean some kind of demise that led to him being disintegrated or anything like that. There probably is a limit to what he can survive... but then, it goes without saying that as a Time Lord, he's more durable than a human - so the line between mortally wounded and unregeneratable is probably going to be fuzzy.

So... all the Daleks need to do is take him out on a legendary bender, get him to down a few too many pan galactic gargleblasters and he's a goner if he's mortally wounded?

It's a book though - so the canonicity (as wiki will constantly remind you) is debatable.

yeah The war Chief certainly appeared to die so perhaps some writer thought hold on cant have this and wrote a fix to the inconsistency  ;)

Gotta say tho when the Doctor falls from the telescope at Jodrell Bank in Logopolis surely some severe head trauma would have resulted from this fall ???

I think the 4th Doctor might have mad a little padding 'round the back' to help cushion his fall.

Either that, or he's a trained professional wrestler/stuntman, and knows how to protect his head in a high fall.  :)

Additional thought 1:  Maybe the War Chief had already used up his 12 regenerations.

Additional thought 2:  The energy used in 'curse of Fatal Death' was specifically mentioned as being a type that will not allow regenerations...  but it happened anyway!

yeah The war Chief certainly appeared to die so perhaps some writer thought hold on cant have this and wrote a fix to the inconsistency  ;)

The Book "Timewyrm: Exodus" that features the War Chief was written by Terrance Dicks who also co-wrote the War Games.

Just because he co-wrote the episode doesn't mean he can't make mistakes... or fix them, for that matter.  Besides, wasn't the concept of the whole regeneration scheme still a bit vague at that point in the series?  I know retcon when I see it... but it doesn't make retcon bad. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how many people would notice anything wrong if the doctor went past his 12th regen? I'm sure most likely there will be some vague thread put in "oh by the way that's just reset by regeneration counter". Hey, maybe the doc gets 12 male regens and 12 female ones  :P

The official martha page says

Martha Jones is training to be a doctor when she joins the TARDIS crew. Not that kind of doctor!
So not a nurse? I wonder if anyone will raise a confused note that Freema was working for torchwood before undertaking medical training  ;) then again how many wondered why The 5th doctor chose to regen into Commander Maxil?  ::)

Well, in the new novel  “Made of Steel†by Terrance Dicks, Martha Jones says:

“My cousin - Adeola. She worked at Torchwood Tower. She never came home after… I just wondered if you might have seen her. She looked a bit like me.â€ÂÂ

This would appear to be the 'clever' way the writers have explained this situation! Works for me :)

• 3 weeks later...

I think his regeneration must have something to do with the Face of Boe - esp. given their exchange in "New Earth" and that according to the kitty nurse "he is the last of his kind".

So somehow the Face of Boe has managed to live for so long then perhaps there is still hope for the Doctor.

The Son idea sounds terrible though. I do hope that they dont ever go down that route. That's part of the charm about Doctor Who - you don't really know that much about him, yet we all love and trust him. I say keep the mystery going.

LOL Yeah if he has to protect his head to keep on regenerating, maybe he evolved into one big head kept in a big Jar! :)

As for him falling off the telescope in Logopolis, come on, it was Tom Baker, the bushy hairdo would have cushioned his fall.