Star Trek vs FireFly

Commander Data

What is exactelly being defined as "Star Trek", here? Is that the entire franchise, including the movies, all 5 TV series, and everything, or "Star Trek" as in The Orignal Series?

Like it's been said before, the 2 things arn't the same, and can't really be compaired in a <, >, or = sort of way. The only thing they really have in common is both shows take place on a space ship in the future. Even then, the ships from any form of Trek were all designed and built by a huge monolithic federation, where as Firefly was basiclly a home made ship that barely worked from day to day. Trek was all about cool looking aliens of the week, the cool CGI space battle of the month, where as Firefly didn;t have any aliens at all ( that I can remember), and Serenety by design, didn't really have any armorment (again, that I can recall).

I like Trek basiclly for the cool gadgets they have, and the occasional good episide (not really that frequent, now that I've been watching an arseload of other Sci-fi shows). I like Firefly becuase they're basiclly merceneries, living day to day with no "Federation Privleges", doing whatever they feel like doing, based on their individual sence of morality. Committing crimes one day, and doing good deeds the next.

I found the perfect analogy - it's like trying to compare CSI: Denver City with Columbo. Sure, they're both cop shows - but other than that...

All you can really do is compare your comparative enjoyment and even that's hard because of the huge disparity in episode numbers. Both have good points, both bad but Trek had a lot longer to go off the rails.

• 1 month later...

SNIPPET:

I like Firefly becuase they're basiclly merceneries' date=' living day to day with no "Federation Privleges", doing whatever they feel like doing, based on their individual sence of morality. Committing crimes one day, and doing good deeds the next.[/quote']

Nail on the head! Nail on the head! That's exactly the reason I like Firefly sooooo much. A totally different show from Trek. IMHO...more realistic in it's depiction of human behavior.

c4 B)

as it has been say we can't compare those shows and the question is inappropriate. I would rather answers which show do you enjoy the most between star Trek and firefly?

My preference goes to firefly than Star Trek with just 12 episodes, Whedon makes something very good and I can't imagine what the show would be with 6 series and 10 movies. Firefly was darker and more comlpex than any star trek where the morality was just too basic and actions are just straight forward with the same stereotype good versus bad.

Note that I also like star trek but with firelfy It's just that thing which appealing me.

In firefly the good is not always good and the bad is not that bad in another word you may want the "bad guy" wins whereas in any Start trek you will always stick wth Kirk, Picard, sisko or archer not matter what. Cause they always have a better justification to their action or much simpler decision to maker.

Just want to precise that firelfy did pretty in Box office in U.S (I was shocked) and it was the same in UK. Giving the fact that with less fame than star trek and no time to be developped the success is massive, I think we got a very good series, I really hope that one day Joss will be able to make 7 years shows of firefly

Believe it or not but Gene Roddenberry was originally commissioned by CBS (i think) to make a scifi-western in space and when he produced 'The Cage' CBS said no becasue it wasn't what he was told to do and gene had to make another pilot later, the point being that even star trek had problems in the (very) early stages and if gene hadn't persisted then star trek would be some obscure tv pilot that no one would know about.

Personally i see Firefly as a Homage to what Gene didn't do, and i also loved the fact that Blake's 7 offered a lot of inspiration to Whedon for Firefly.

But in the end Star trek is star trek and Firefly is firefly

Case closed

as it has been say we can't compare those shows and the question is inappropriate. I would rather answers which show do you enjoy the most between star Trek and firefly?

Mayhaps you should post your own topic/questions then. Just a suggestion...

c4 B)

I've only watched "Serenity" but am very anxious to watch the rest.

As for whats better.. my final take is that Star Trek is it's own thing and cant be anything other than Trek.

I personally enjoy Star Trek more than any other Sci-Fi (although I really enjoy a lot of other Sci-Fi as well). I think Star Trek is just kind of soothing and relaxing ... reminds me of being a kid or something and watching TOS on weekends.