Is there a PC revolution about to happen?

Chiggy

Ive just noticed me local computer shop has halved the price of its high end PC's........is there a PC revolution about to happen?

No the PC's arent stolen and its not a clearance sale........it just appears odd he would half the price on AMD 3400 and P3 3GHZ systems.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, I've noticed that the price of high capacity hard drives are now insanely affordable in my area.A year ago, a 300gb drive would have costed anout $340, now you can get TWO of those drives for the same price, and get change back.

Back in my day, a 20 gig hard drive was the biggest you could get for under $500.

SLI / Crossfire video cards, dual core processors, 64-bit systems... it's not a surprise that 'standard' stuff like the AMD 3400 and P3 you mentioned are dropping in price. Hell, single core 64-bit processors are dropping, too...

Edit: Also, thanks to SATA, IDE hard drives of all sizes are dropping in price... Would have mentioned the AGP to PCI-Express jump, but that's old hat by now.

Because 939 boards and CPUs are deader than jesus. AMD is going to AM2 boards and DDR2 and X4 CPUs. Why pay the same for old crap when you can get the new? It's about TIME they finally cut the damn on the old stuff.

I noticed this with newegg, and I'm hip to their scam now. If something is selling hot, they extend the rebate, and sometimes cut the price for another week. A*holes. Usually when a rebate is over, it doesn't come around for another month or ever. But newegg can just re update new rebate PDFs.

The reason processors are so cheap at the moment is (as mentioned), that Intel released a high performance chip at a reasonable price (wow, who would have thought), so AMD had to 'insanely' cut their prices to remain competitive.

The reason HDD are so cheap is that most manufacturers are now releasing or will shortly start to release drives that store information in a perpendicular manner, which allows for much higher data densities, thus for a 300GB drive they only need half the space as they did before.

In general though, it has been so (most of the time at least), that a middle class computer, you bought last year, can be bought this year for about half the price. Of course, now this transition happened in a matter of months, but that's a good thing.

Also for graphics cards, the ATI X1900XT is now being sold for only $300 (3 months ago that was still $450), because they are about to release the X1950XTX. If you're a gamer and it is within your budget, this card (X1900XT), is the best buy you can do at the moment.

But keep in mind that in half about year (officially at least, who know whether or not they will postpone, again) MS will release DX10, along with Vista and all DX9 boards will immediattely be 'old'. Of course, they will still perform just as well, but all new features (from DX10) wil not be enabled on them.

If you're not a gamer, then this all doesn't concern you. :)

I like the idea that laptops have also become very cheap, you can now buy a laptop with a 1.6GHz P-M, 512MB RAM onboard video card and 100GB HDD, 15.4" screen, for about $600. Such a laptop would make a great and very cheap home server (built in UPS and all (it's a laptop :rolleyes: )). Of course, you can still built a new one even cheaper (for about $400 with new components), but you wouldn't have the built in battery or screen or portability (can allways come in handy).

In fact, if this trend continues, it may even be so one day, that you can buy reasonably decent hardware that is cheaper than the OS that is running on it (Vista seems to want to become quite expensive).

yeah ^^^, in the uk isp are promoting wifi alot... so if you don't play games, theres no reason to not buy a laptop....

also, i think intel are speeding up cpu production to make way for cell processors... we've already had DC, core duo & core duo2 in the space of the life of a P4.....

and since the nextgen consoles already use cells... they can't stall for long....

also the new hdd that incorperate flash memory is gona be released later too so hdds going cheap!!!!

Good call on the laptop prices TS. I've been in the market for a lappy for some time now, and thanks to the recent "Golden Age" of laptop (and over all computer hardware) affordability, my options are now wider then ever.

It's not a question of being forced to buy the cheapest laptop for budget buyers any more, it's more of a matter of which inexpencive laptop do i get the most from, for my $600. It's a buyers market out ther enow for all of us :)

The reason HDD are so cheap is that most manufacturers are now releasing or will shortly start to release drives that store information in a perpendicular manner

And I have one of those drives now, SATA2 300MB/s or 3.0Gb if you prefer, with NCQ, and'll post a benchmark when I get the cpu and ram on friday.

I've been wanting a notebook for a long time, but didn't care much for the damn configs offered by the big name co.s. They either had the large screen I wanted, and a crappy video card/cpu, or the other way around. Now with the X2 coming out, maybe they'll finally put a damn vid card in worthy of gaming AND a 17" screen for 900-1000$. Paying any more isn't worth it.

What kind of system does a hardcore gamer need? I have 1200 Dollars to spend

I just bought all new components except for the monitor for $630, $560 after rebates.

Most of the stuff I found on sale like the case, or on rebate and got in on the deal, except for the ram which shot up $25 before I could get corsair 512x2 DDR2 800.

My vid card is the only thing which does not make my system a hard core game rig, but everything else makes Anubis worship it for the price.

amd64 x2 3800 AM2