SG-1 Cancelled, Atlantis gets 4th season :(

Mav

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=37607

SCI FI Channel confirmed that it will not renew its record-breaking original series Stargate SG-1 for another season, but will pick up its spinoff series Stargate Atlantis for a fourth year.

Pardon me Nite...however FUCK! They can't end SG-1...they just can't. The Ori have barely been given any time. Good Replicators vs Evil Ones, come on! They've got some stellar material for an 11th season

*cry* Just when Ben Browder got conformtable and Claudia Black was becoming a regular...... :(

Atlantis gets a 4th season and probably several others. But no SG-1 :(

Frakking farbotz what the hazmania is up with that :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They really should have ended SG-1 with a bang, like fighting Anubis's fleet in Earths orbit. The selling point for SG-1 for me, and what kept me watching the show all these years was how the Gods from mythologies were really space aliens, and abused their more advanced level of development and enslaved humanity for eons. As a life long fan of that exact idea (of all forms of God / Gods / Supernatural beings really being otherworldly astronauts) the Stargate movie, and TV series was a Godsend.

I can't be the only one that says that SG-1 season 9 and 10 just dosent have the same feel as the earlier seasons, it's not even really the same show any more.

The Ori are just plain stupid, the replicators were okay, but got stupid when they started taking on human form. Yeah, I remember the human replicators the first time I saw them, back in Terminator 2.

The only thing I disliked about the Ori story arc is, it seems like an excuse really. Like ok they had Ancients and Ascended Ancients. Two generally good forms of people, both powerful. So they take the same race, make an evil version, ascend them and boom we get the Ori.. The Ori are just the polar opposites of ascended Altarans...

The mistake of SG-1 was not ending it sooner. They had the perfect oppurtunity to end it with season 8. Instead of giving us the lame Moebius as a finale, we could have had a 4-5 part BANG to finish with.

I totally agree with you S0V13T, 9/10 have felt like a different show. Personally, if they'd wanted to continue SG-1, they should have just done it in another spin-off. The premise has changed and they've changed/added enough cast members that it isn't really the same show anyway.

And as I oft lament - the show really slumped after Jonas Quinn came on as a regular, that was around the point when RDA pretty much stopped putting the effort in and... well, the possibilities of Stargate might be infinite but the writers imagination clearly aren't.

Coming in for season 9 with a new lead and new EVEN MORE POWERFUL, EVEN MORE UNSTOPPABLE AND EVEN MORE GODLY enemies was just kind of lame and really said "We want more money." Or possibly that Sci-fi didn't know what it would do with the Ori.

Anyway, like any show that has gone on for a long time (The Simpsons comes to mind) the decline in quality is somewhat inevitable and it's better it ends now while it still has some semblance of dignity...

To me it hadn't been the same from season 6 but that was when they said 'we're bringing in one last bad guy and we might not even give him a face' (I think it was Brad Wright, not sure). When the Execs start walking on edge then it generally goes downhill anyway because it's their last season. Anubis was the ultimate end of the Goa'uld enemy. half-goauld, helf ascended, all evil

Then came season 7 and Daniel's return - Yippee!

Season 8 and freeing the jaffa - great

Season 9 - introducing a new, deadlier enemy - okay

season 10 - eh~

It should've ended when the finished season 8. Jaffa were free, team was safe, O'Neill had fish in his pond and they helped out Atlantis by getting another ZPM. What would've made it better was if the existence of the Stargate had been made public. It's tiring to see them acting like assholes because someone else wants to reveal the existence of the gate to the world and yet they still manage to cover it up again.

In the beginning it was about worshipping false gods and the beings imitating them, now it's about worshipping real gods that lie about ascension just doesn't stick as a good vs evil. We knew the Goa'uld were evil, they were parasites that used humans to build an empire and fight wars against each other and any who oppose them. The Ori are gods who don't seem to do anything themselves and just get people to worship them so they can get stronger but still don't actually do anything themselves but are supposed to supplant their will onto others. It doesn't work because they're too powerful. If they are truly that strong/advanced/powerful then they should be bombarding this galaxy with soldiers, piors and other ascendent plans of domination but we had three during season 9 (the supergates, the insects and the prior virus). Apart from the virus only one of these plans has directly affected Earth and why haven't they gone for Earth anyway?

Too many questions about a similar but more powerful enemy to the Goa'uld. Good vs Evil implies, no, demands that one side is more wrong than the other but the line is too thinly to see which side is the right one.

I said about either SG-1 or Atlantis that if things didn't pick up it would be my last season. Looks like I might not have a choice anymore

Guest Mrthumps

Oh well, it did seem that this season everyone seemed a little tired so perhaps it's for the best to end it now.

I think they should have ended the SG1 series as a whole after the whole time travel episode with the SG1 team fishing at the cottage.

Atlantis still has some legs to it so I'm happy it will be around.

Perhaps another Stargate type series is in the works?

Be nice if it was but I'm scared that it might become like Star Trek became by the time Voyager and Enterprise came about.

Actually, it's a good thing that they've decided to cancel the show so early in the season. I don't even think they've started shooting eps 11-20, or if they have they're not too far advanced. This is what they should do:

1) remove any filler episodes that have nothing to do with advancing the Ori plot. (for example, e12: "Bounty" which will be about Mitchell's HS reunion)

2) Replace said filler episodes with stories that DO advance the Ori plot and wrap it up with the Merlin weapon.

3) Send any SG-1 actors who don't wish to quit over to Atlantis. Hopefully they can help save that ship before it sinks. (I can't believe that Atlantis is the one being renewed, but oh well..)

4) Reunite the SG-1 team in our Galaxy once in a while for special 2 hour Direct-to-Video movies.... but ONLY if they have a story worth telling, not just to milk us fans out of a few bucks!

That's my advice. Hopefully somebody from the studio frequents this board once in a while and takes it.

I wonder if they'll keep up the main gateroom set so it can still appear in Atlantis/any other new series. It would seem odd not to and any crappy mockup they make will be to the detriment of any future episodes set in Cheyenne mountain.

Although in these cases they usually tear the sets down because they want the space and it costs a lot to keep them in operation. Hence voyager being filmed on all the same stages as TNG.

I found that the sets in SGI were painfully dull anyway, they always were to an extent but after ten years and the big colourful sets for Atlantis they were just making the show drab.

Sci Fi's move doesn't make sense unless they plan to replace SG-1 with a new spinoff series. Indeed, SG-1 and SGA have become so interdependent over the last two years that I doubt one can live without the other.

Anyway, here's a piece of good news for the hopeful:

Cooper: SG-1 will go on

Monday - August 21, 2006 | by Darren Sumner

Don't count Stargate SG-1 out just yet. Though SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running series (story), the show's producers are hard at work looking for a new outlet for the story to continue, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

"As far as the future I can't comment yet because nothing has been confirmed," Cooper said. "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

A formal announcement from the studio and the network is expected later this week.

Cooper also emphasizes that, though emotions are running high among Stargate fans who have just learned the news, it is important to keep the show's ratings strong throughout the remainder of its run on SCI FI. "What's most important is that fans don't take out their frustration with SCI FI by not watching," he said. "In fact, what they need to do is watch both SG-1 and Atlantis LIVE and make sure the ratings stay strong.

"That helps prove to other outlets that might be interested in SG-1 that the show is still as strong as we think it is."

Could Stargate SG-1 find its way to yet another network in 2007? Or might the SG-1 team be headed for a TV movie, mini-series, direct-to-video feature ... or the big screen? Stay with GateWorld for the latest developments.

Stargate SG-1 Season Ten continues with all-new episodes this Friday at 9 p.m. Eastern/Pacific on SCI FI, followed by Stargate Atlantis at 10 p.m.!

GateWorld

Sci Fi's move doesn't make sense unless they plan to replace SG-1 with a new spinoff series. Indeed' date=' SG-1 and SGA have become so interdependent over the last two years that I doubt one can live without the other.[/quote']Maybe they'll have the Ori conquer Earth and this new series will have them trying to get it back.

Might be a big leap for them but it would also put Atlantis out on their own again

I can't see them ever doing that. It's too "outside the box". The Ori wouldn't bother with conquering Earth anyways' date=' they would simply destroy it.[/quote']With a possible six billion subjects who are completely unawares of aliens having a bunch of priors show up with godlike powers and abilities... we're the main course in a banquet.

You're right though too far out of the box.

Maybe they'll hijack the Infinity plot instead :(

Man - how bloody dissapointing... I mean, I only started to get into the show with Season 9. The thing is, I just want to know why? With seasons 9 & 10, its almost been like a whole new show. You didn't need to know a whole decade of backstory, you could come in fresh. Surely I'm not the only new recruit to SG-1 fandom thats come on board with the new cast & new villains and what-not??? I reckon there's gotta be at least one more decent Season left in the old girl yet.

Folks, they have refused to renew after the 10th season. We have only gotten 6 episodes of season 10. This means there are at least 14 more episodes to come. A great deal can happen during that time.

Any thoughts?

As long as it happens quickly. I'm guessing episode 10 will be yet another mid-season cliffhnager.

The biggest letdown for season 9 was the severe lack of any genuine conflict. It was weak, not bad; weak.

The Ori are basically as all-knowing as the Ancients

Almost all of their subversive plans have failed - priors, bugs, supergate number 1

Now their ships are here kicking our butts.

The biggest threat came at the end of the series in the last thirty minutes when a supergate was found and our forces got their mivonks handed to them on a silver platter. We need that sense of impending, unstoppable doom almost always or in episodes that aren't designed to be cliffhangers (10 and 20).

I'd like to see the Ori plot expediate through all the crap, the incidental episodes, the filler 'it's our fault' eps and have a certaion degree of top-heavy continuity. Most of the episodes are self-contained and interchangeable with the exception of the season opener and 200.

If you're gonna go out, go out with a story that takes place across five to ten episodes instead of maybe a two/three-parter. Like the Ori troops invade Earth and while Daniel goes off in search of the Ascendent-killer weapon Mitchell and co tackle the forces taking over like blowing up the invading ship in a way that will require more than just the Cheyenne Mountain teams. Maybe even have an Asgard helping them directly instead of being stuck in the engine room of the Deadeleus/Odyssey. Something that says we're going out by blowing the entire budget on our five-part finale!

Aw, that is awfull. SG-1 is a good show. Okay, it has seen better days (season 8 was excellent), I haven't seen any episode of season 10 yet (Europe is about half a season behind in airing), but it sin't so bad that it deserves cancelling. If they wanted to stop the show, I agree that they should have done it at the end of the 8th season. You can't just quit a show that's halfway in a new storyline, that's evil...

I sure hope they finish the storyline, they have a decent amount of possible episodes left (if they don't stop midway in a season, ie. ep 10), they could even make the full 22, like they used to. In 16 episodes at least some plot develoment can happen, though at the rate of the old plotline (Gua'uld) was going it probably would have taken them another 2 seasons at least, hmm..., that might be an overstatement, since even in the first season of the Ori they were allready at war, so they could have stretched it for another season then...

Anyway, they should either finish it decently or they should have finished it a few years ago, not like this anyway... :(

I'd like to see a new spinoff series succeeding SG-1, but I must admit the show needs at least two more seasons to wrap up the Ori storyline. If Sci Fi doesn't give SG-1 this time, then what was the point of seasons 9 and 10? What bothers me most though is that a new series wasn't even suggested. Sci Fi is just killing SG-1 and sticking with Atlantis, which I doubt will live much longer after that. In fact, MGM still backing up SG-1 is the only good news I've heard lately. Maybe they can take SG-1 and Atlantis to another channel. Some people are saying Showtime might be interested once again.

BTW, here is the online petition to save SG-1 (if you're interested). I also came across these two "Save Stargate" sites on the GateWorld forum:

http://www.savestargate.com

http://www.savestargatesg-1.com

I know these campaigns usually don't succeed, but at least we can show our support for one of the greatest sci-fi series of all time.