Microsoft Intentionally Cripples HD DVD, Blu-ray Support in Vista 32-bit

TetsuoShima

So, there you have it, want to play HD-DVD's or Blue-Ray under Vista 32-bit... MS doesn't think so...

Of course, I have a sneaky suspicion that all this content stuff will be hacked anyway, just like MS signed driver program, but hey, if you want official support, you just got screwed.

Any next-generation high definition content will not play in x32 at all This is a decision that the Media Player folks made because there are just too many ways right now for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content protection]. The media companies asked us to do this and said they don’t want any of their high definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection, so we had to do this

Don't you just love it when somebody says: "We had to do this" or "We had no other choice", ah wel... Just another reason NOT to buy Vista at all (you can just as well save $150 and have the same features on any decent Linux distro). No custom drivers on the 64-bit version and no HD support on the 32-bit version... Sure, you can have your cake, but eh, don't you dare eat it boy....

Full announcement

UPDATE:

Well, appearently someone over at Microsoft made the wrong statements and now they have to do some damage control. It would appear that that NO version of Vista will support HD content by default, but it will be possible on ALL versions of Vista to install programs that will, provided someone makes them. So the '32-bit Vista issue' is solved. Now, if they'd solve the 'only signed drivers on 64-bit Vista issue', I'd be completely happy. :)

Link to damage control, ie. new statement

• 3 weeks later...

It would appear that the market is heading to the perfect solution to stop HD piracy.

Make sure no god damn machine can ever play any kind of HD content!

Its the obvious solution really, since it absolutley guarentees that no one will be able to play pirated HD movies, the idea would seem to date back to the decision to make an entire generation of HDTV's that would never be able to play HD content encrypted with HDCP within a period of a few years, this must have given someone a bright idea for a wider mareting strategy...

I don't see why anyone would WANT to "upgrade" to vista, to be honest. When it comes to the insane DRM requirements, forcing you to only be able to certian hardware, having insane hardware requirements, shuting out independant third party applications and drivers, and strengthening their anit-trust monopoly stranglehold over the market.

No, I think I'll be sticking to the final version of XP, and / or my copy of Mandriva Linux in my comp, thanks.

I wouldn't bother with 64 bit vista at all. I got rid of the RC1 5600. Too many damn problems and still the lack of driver support for anything 64 bit in windows.

Until the world is forced into the realm of 4GB equipped demon leprechaun machines and 64 bit is no longer an option, but mandatory, it's not worth the switch from 32 bit support.

Yeah, Vista's looking like it'll be a whole lot more trouble than its worth... meanwhile, linux distro's are getting better & better by the day.

At the momen, I'm running both XP and Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (Dual Boot), and the more & more I refine the settings and the more packages I intergrate, the more I LOVE Ubuntu. I mostly keep XP going just so as I can play a handful of games.