Unable to pay hosting costs

NiteShdw

At the beginning of this year I started renting a dedicated server at $60/month. For the first six months, donations and ad revenue was enough to cover the costs of the server, but for the last 3 months, I have had to pay for the entire cost out of pocket. My financial situation is severely strained, and I will be unable to continue paying these costs.

To pay for the cost of the server, I will give away a free hosting account to every user that donates $10 or more. In addition, there will be a raffle at the end of October with prizes yet to be announced. Every $1 donated equals 1 'ticket'.

If you have items that you would be willing to put up as prizes, please let me know. I will then post a list of all the prizes.

The goal is to raise $60 a month.

I'll throw in a paid one year .com domain name into the raffle, and domain administraton services.

I'll also offer "a day off" worth of backend website development / maintnance / support / how to assistance / general work for those that choose to join the ranks of being hosted by NiteScifi.com. Just remember, I'm a coder / admin, not an artist.

$60.00 a month is extreme.

What kinda bandwidth do you run thru in a month?

Got a link to stats info?

Actually, $60/month for a dedicated machine is the cheapest rate that I've been able to find. Even collocation services run about that much. Soon I'll be moving to San Francisco, so perhaps I can find a good/cheap collocation place there.

I can put your google ads on my site if you like. It doesn't get an extremely large amount of hits but it has peaked around 1000/day. Probably won't sustain more than 300/day.

eternity.sytes.net/joomla/will

06casswp

I'd be willing to host your site for free on my server, and take you up on your offer to put a small google ads on the site.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll get back to you on that' date=' just have to consult some ppl.[/quote']

I have one of those unlimited space / unlimited bandwidth deals with hostdepartment.com - let me know if I can help.

jon at mandrake dot net dot au

• 2 weeks later...

God damn I am tired of people with websites whining about b######t cost of operation. Websites don't cost that much. If you can't afford 60 bucks a month sign up for godaddy. $6.95. Stop begging for money.  You have a computer.  You're not f#####g poor.

Figure out a way to make your website pay for itself, get a cheaper webhost, or just pay for it. It won't kill you. You built a website. You probably have a lot of time on your hands. Work 12 hours a month at Burger King to pay for it if you have to.

Seriously.

God damn I am tired of people with websites whining about bullshit cost of operation. Websites don't cost that much. If you can't afford 60 bucks a month sign up for godaddy. $6.95. Stop begging for money. You have a computer. You're not fucking poor.

Figure out a way to make your website pay for itself, get a cheaper webhost, or just pay for it. It won't kill you. You built a website. You probably have a lot of time on your hands. Work 12 hours a month at Burger King to pay for it if you have to.

Seriously.

If you had paid any attention to the posts above you would have seen Nite say he hasn't been able to find any other services available. He also said he is moving house - does take up a lot of his time.

Also - i'd hardly say he's begging for money since he's giving away this hosting services for free - he's just asking for help to cover the costs.

So if you don't mind:

picardshutupsm9.jpg

(Thanks to another forum user for that ;) )

God damn I am tired of people with websites whining about bullshit cost of operation. Websites don't cost that much. If you can't afford 60 bucks a month sign up for godaddy. $6.95. Stop begging for money. You have a computer. You're not fucking poor.

Seriously.

I thought our "idiot quota" was filled. Sorry Guest...you'll have to find work elsewhere.

oh...and...

picardshutupsm9.jpg

c4 B)