'Of Gods and Men' trailer avaiable

slug

Do I understand correctly that they will be playing different characters than the ones they did in real star trek?

They must misunderstand a few things about some fans... We like star trek, not specifically the star trek actors... More the star trek roles. And the actors that I do really like aren't in it...

The title also really does not have a star trek ring to it.

But I will hold judgement 'till I see something. They say, the want to make it webisodes... Didn't see anything about pricing, so if it's for free, then we can't use the 'milking the cow' excuse... Either way, I am curious, but I am also afraid that it won't be any good... Let's just hope that it will be great, that may be the spark that is needed to start a 'real' new series.

I am glad to see people who have been in Star Trek doing a free Trek! They truly love Trek and the fans to do this. I cannot wait to see it!

And for the cannonites (I am one of them) this is nowhere near any cannon. But that does not bother me as it is a webisode. I do want TV and movies to be cannon though.

Remind me again how many times the crew of the Enterprise has been together one last time?

Yeah, that just cracked me up. I bet those are all the "best" bits. To be honest, the acting just looked AWFUL - are they recreating the ham rich environment of the original series too?

I think what primarily makes it look bad is the fact that it is shot on cheap looking video. This is what I was ranting about when the news of this first surfaced. Never underestimate the importance of shooting on proffesional standard film, without it, even if the acting is ever any good, it will still look awful.

Plus dreadful costumes, (or at least one) Alan Ruck's Tos movie era uniform looked like something some fat guy made in his basement when the Scifi convention came to town.

it will be interesting to see what the hell its supposed to be about, with a Tos refit Enterprise bearing the letter 'm,' and some kind of TOS style bridge, with Koenig appearing to play two parts, Chekov movie era and some alter ego.

I'm guessing its supposed to be some kind of mirror universe job, w/wo time travel.

Still, you need to respect them. For some reason.

1701-m.jpg.5facc47df097005a3ed9c1eb6d494311.jpg

Chekov1.jpg.a468c1410d659e5be92e30331ca388cb.jpg

Chekov2.jpg.5e47edc50072e9e996c9032d42ca9692.jpg

Alan_Ruck.jpg.3f2c40df2fc2329fcfdcc102f3636602.jpg

I didnt get to watch the trailer (slow slow slow bandwidth) but Im excited!

Perhaps this, in conjunction with what New Voyages has already done is going to start a new trend of fan based Trek. A new life on the net...

I cant wait to get back to the USA and download this and all the New Voyages episodes as well!

Fan films aren't really new though and as far as I can tell, regardless of expenditure or effort, they still suck more than a vacuum cleaner full of hookers in a tropical depression on the event horizon of a black hole.

It's kind of sad really but then, given the quality of Star Trek in the past 5-10 years which had dozens of professionals and millions of dollars, it's hardly surprising that a bunch of people doing it on weekends can't do much better.

I just watched the trailer (got around the low bandwidth problem). That was awesome!

Someone should have posted the picture of the evil Harry Kim and the Orion slave girl.

Im stoked to download this at Christmas time.

I wonder if all the actors are playing their original roles (mirror universe Harry Kim?) ? The actor that played Martok is there as well, but looks different. Also Tim Russ was in the grips of a mind meld and looked quite Tuvok'ish.

Very very cool.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that Takei will be the suprise guest since he's been obsessed with the idea of doing Trek again for a while, with his desire for an Excelsior TV series, problem was his character never really had any personality surrounding him or storylines whatsoever, not really allowing him to be fleshed out into a whole TV show.

I think Nimoy is a bit too dignified to do something as clearly amateurish looking as this, he's busy taking black and white pictures of nude Jewish women instead.

The general production values are terrible, and I doubt that there will be a strong enough plot to make up for this.

Yeah, Takei HAS been obsessed with doing a him-centric Star Trek for a while, hasn't he? I think he banged on about it during the period before Voyager and Enterprise - even though he'd probably have to be flying home to collect his pension every week.

In any event - I'd probably agree they've not got much to play with because otherwise they'd probably have been able to get more than the shoestring they seem to have.

He could have made a series based on being the only gay captain in starfleet. Following on naturally from black, to female, to cretin.

They'd have to explain away his daughter, something to do with parrallel universes or denial.

Ok that was FRAKKING AWESOME.

I thought it was cheesey at first, I mean Nichols is so gray haired it's sad kinda. Then they threw in J.G. Hertzler, aka mother frakking Martok oh hell yes. And who couldn't just geek out at Garrett Wang aka Harry Kim being all bad ass with the phaser and longer hair (kinda like Future Harry from that one episode).

Either it will rock hardcore or some of us diehard Trek fans are so starved for new content, we'll take anything.