Dead

gjnave

I've been thinking recently more about it being better to draw people back by showing that there is a chance for a decent forum community. As far as new members are concerned we're completely in the wilderness and aren't likely to get the sort of new members that are going to contribute to discussion in a way which won't just make standing members actually leave for good.

Just incase anyone was wondering (wich is doubtful) I still read the site 4 - 5 times a day. Havn't seen anything worth chiming in lately.

By "lately", I mean "for almost the entire summer". Then again, I havn't had the time to even do things that I like doing that involves the net that much, like IRC or Ventrillo :(

I'd chalk it up to the sheer lack of really good, debate-worthy sci-fi out there in TV land. Star Trek is gone (for now), Doctor Who's on hiatus 'til Christmas, Torchwood hasn't started yet (assuming it's even worthy of comment), nobody seems to like talking about the BF Doctor Whos (few listen, I guess, and the last release was a little while ago and not very comment worthy either), and the rest of Sci Fi other than maybe Stargate and possibly Battlestar Galactica isn't really commentworthy...

So, I'd say that's a pretty good reason for the lull.

Edit: Scratch the BF thing, it seems there's been a couple of releases since I last looked. ^^'

It's one of these self-perpetuating things - not a lot of good posts, people don't come by or post so often which means there's less to read and so on and so forth. It's what leads to the cylical nature of forums, they ebb and flow like the sea but then, I think that the lack of new shows and stuff HAS put a bit of a dampner on sci-fi discussion. I personally feel that I've said just about everything I can about Star Trek without repeating myself for the hundredth time and much as I like the sound of my own voice (so to speak) I'm not really that interested in rehashing the same things again.

I suppose in a way, the site is kind of like a gold rush town - but now there ain't any gold, just a town and unfortunately some of the people that have stopped by in recent months have put up some of the most insipid threads imaginable, silence would have been preferable.

Now, Star Wars - how about talking about that? ;)

One of the things that's put me off posting more is the site gets constantly harder to read with these massive avatars taking up varied amounts of the page. The whole site now looks disjointed and disorganised, and it makes my life more difficult if I have to read around these things.

Spite, dear boy, spite.

As defined by dictionary.com:

''A malicious, usually petty, desire to harm, annoy, frustrate, or humiliate another person; bitter ill will; malice.''

Have you never heard that expression before? Education these days really is in decline.

Spite, dear boy, spite.

As defined by dictionary.com:

''A malicious, usually petty, desire to harm, annoy, frustrate, or humiliate another person; bitter ill will; malice.''

Have you never heard that expression before? Education these days really is in decline.

is that a real expression????

cause i've never herd or seen spite used like that......

thats why i read it wrong...

i think i goes like this....

How about I cut off my nose in spite while I'm at it?

How can you not have heard that expression? Living in a colonial backwater I imagine...

Anyway, I imagine the fact that threads are more likely to go off on a tangent like this rather than actually result in a discussion about sci-fi may well be at the core of the current dearth of interest.

One of the things that's put me off posting more is the site gets constantly harder to read with these massive avatars taking up varied amounts of the page. The whole site now looks disjointed and disorganised' date=' and it makes my life more difficult if I have to read around these things.[/quote']

Crikey, I see all images and its not a problem. What res are you on 640x480? PSP browser? Come on, Ive only ever seen '1' really oversized psychadelic (yes Megalith, remember lol) signature, the rest are fine!

As for talking about a 'dead show', theres so many episodes spanning from TOS-Enterprise how can you not find anything to talk about. Dr Who managed to survive 16 years in the dark (barring the movie) and it survived due to a devoted fan community, just like you/us! Dont give up on it! One day itll be back, you watch!