Battlestar Galactica 3x01 & 3x02

Hilander72

Frakking awesome episode, well worth the wait.

It started out kinda "eww", here's Helen giving it up to a Skinjob so she can get Tigh out of jail...slipperly slope that is, dedication to her husband but at what lengths..

Nice to see Kara still kicking dude's ass (got I suck at remembering the Model's "names" other than the numbers)

Caprica Six and Baltar back together ;) nice, almost brought a tear to me eye. I was fucking pissed when dude shot her in the head...Sure she'll come back but man.. AND the fact Baltar didn't want to order the deaths of 200 people even with a gun to his head, great stuff. love Baltar.

Apollo got fat. I expected his character to take the stance of "not going back" but man, in a year he got fat. I know they operate of jehrens as their terms of years and humans in the BSG universe age alot more gracefully (living past 100-110 is common), but man he looks like he aged ten years and added 50 pounds.

Adama's still the old man, nice to see him still pittering about Galactica's CIC.

Dee is still there :( Booo. And married to Apollo, double Boooo. Slut shoulda died by now (sorry but the way she handled Billy was just frakked up. Guy loved her and all she wanted was to jump on Apollo).

Sharon being inducted as an officier and pilot, nice. Was good to see Helo back in uniform too.

Still can't imagine Chief and Cally getting together. Even though we saw them in 2x20 last season it just don't fit right.

Can't wait for 3x03.

Were I a reviewer for a PC gaming magazine (Gods I hope not) I'd probably say that I had been "tenting my 'pants'" over these episodes.

As I'm not paid to be a cretin like the reviewers employed by PC gaming magazines, I shall say the following:

These episodes marked a sizable departure from the regular Galactica formula. At least, in some respects. In other ways, they were just like the show we've all come to love.

And really, BSG has proven how great it is by being able to pull of such a dramatic shift in tone and setting. We're no longer seeing a war - we're seeing an insurgency and we're seeing some things that might hit a little close to home - suicide bombing, for example... and as always BSG isn't babying us or holding our hands. It's asking tough questions and it's making us answer them ourselves and this is what makes it a good show.

For a long time, Sci-Fi - and I'm looking mainly at the big Sci-Fi here, Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate - has given us morality that is more black and white than an albino in an oil spill but Ronald D. Moore seems more than willing to leave questions - like the morality of suicide bombing - hanging in the air, rather than offering answers at the end of the scheduled hour.

At the end of season 2, RDM gave us a massive twist in the tale. The Cylons seem intent on peace? But one things for sure, humans won't give it to them and as always, people just aren't all they seem. It's a good start to the third season of the best sci-fi show since B5.

Definitely the best thing since B5, the thing B5 had over BSG is that it was a preplanned story, its becoming apparent that BSG is made up not too far in advance, a good example would be that they didn't even decide to have the Helo subplot on Caprica until after the miniseries, I'd say also that it was unlikely that they had any intention to end season two planet bound when they started it, but I don't know for sure.

If something's made up as it goes along and can feel a bit like talking to a compulsive liar, or it can feel like you are watching real events unfold.

The suicide bombing is probably the most controvertial thing they've done on BSG, its as alegorical as Trek was in the 60's, that they don't pass judgement as to what light its presented in is awsome, it simply emulates the circumstances in which people are driven to it, without passing any firm judgement.

It very much sums up the mood of the times, the idea of endless cycles of conflict, reaction and revolution, its basically a cross between Vichy France and contemporary Iraq.

Its interesting that the alegorical elements are not entrenched, and are somewhat interchangeable. In the Miniseries it was clear that the cylon attack was kind of an inverted version of 9/11, not like what they did with the Xindi in Enterprise which basically was 9/11, I believe RDM suggested it was like 9/11, but where everyone except the people in the twin towers are wiped out. This makes the Cylons the alegorical islamic terrorists. Now the Cylons seem to represent the role of America in Iraq and the humans are the humanised terrorists.

Its remeniscent of the Planet of the Apes cylce, the third film was a reversed version of the first, both that and Galactica end up giving a headache to anyone attempting to find any firm moral association. Galactica's popular, but not a massive mainstream bombshell, it just isn't. In some ways this may be a very good thing, it will continue to challenge and eventually end gracefully, becoming more and more recognised for years after its gone. The wierdest thing to think is that its a remake, thats just wierd. Can anyone else think of something that was remade that became so iconic?

What an amazing start for BSG! Very dark and engaging story as usual. Galactica is the only sci-fi show at the moment that shows things as they really are without trying to "protect" the viewers. Thus, it's following the steps of great science fiction shows of the past in tackling controversial contemporary issues. Indeed, these first two episodes of season 3 have Iraq written all over them... Occupation, insurgency, New Caprica Police Academy, suicide bombings, you name it. It wouldn't be unfair to say by now that BSG will eventually become a classic of science fiction.

BTW, what happened to fatass Apollo? He looks like a moron... :D

Chubbsy Apollo is hilarious.

I hope BSG starts getting a bit more preplanned, I do agree that it's maybe living a bit hand to mouth in story terms.

I actually don't think that the suicide bombing is the most controversial thing - it's the fact they're portraying them somewhat sympathetically. One can see that these are people acting out of desperation. Pretty interesting.

Chubbsy Apollo is hilarious.

I hope BSG starts getting a bit more preplanned, I do agree that it's maybe living a bit hand to mouth in story terms.

I actually don't think that the suicide bombing is the most controversial thing - it's the fact they're portraying them somewhat sympathetically. One can see that these are people acting out of desperation. Pretty interesting.

In the resistance's view, the suicide bombings are a must. They know what Cylon occupation means, they've seen and know what the Cylons are capable of. Personally I think it would be better to die instantly with no pain rather than be beaten and tortured like say, Colonel Tigh was, for weeks at a time.

They have virtually no weapons, nothing to really defend themselves with and their going up aganist an enemy that is a great deal faster, greal deal stronger, etc Now neither side is definitively smarter than the other, other wise the Cylons would be infalable or the humans would have wiped them all out by now but in an occupation senario the humans are cattle to the slaughter basically.

phew... just watched well worth the wait....

it kept reminding me of iraq too.....

looks like they won't be getting off that rock any time soon......

damn it man!! why couldn't they make appollo realy fat???

it would have been cheaper...lol!!!!!

can't wait only 4 days to go!!!!!!!!!

I was getting worried that you'd died of excitement before watching it! Yeh, Apollo could have done a Raging Bull, and david Eick could have done a special Video blog entry with a montage sequence of Bamber compulsively eating for the role, although bear in mind they had to fat him up with makeup back at the end of season two, not allowing him to do it naturally.

I did find myself unusualy excited as I was about to watch it, eclipsing anything that drugs, women or christmas could achieve.

wow great episode(s). I dont think the suicide bombings were a metaphor for Iraq though. The whole situation seems more reminiscent to Palestine(no heavy weapons etc). I really liked ow the two Sharons turned out. And we also get to see that the cylons are actually individuals even if they are the same model. Which in my book classifies them as a lifeform btw.

One thing I will say that BSG has yet to disappoint me with is season openers. I think almost all Star Trek cliffhangers wrapped up in an episode (I can only think of well, I guess two...) and SG-1 and SGA have always just wrapped it up (despite the entire cast frequently appearing to have been killed). BSG doesn't go "Oh, everything is ok." There wasn't any fiddling with the engines to make them super awesome enough to destroy the Cylon with a phased gibberish pulse that would deus ex them to death.

No, I think it's going to be a long hard slog to liberate New Caprica.

bsg5starretfulxs6.gif

There's a lot that makes the show great. Most of all it's the unpredictability and all the current world politics twisted into to the story.

Best part is when Baltar 'lectures' Roslin about suicide bombing. Think about what that implies... :thinking:

Only a few hours to episode 3...

Fracken brilliant was Ep 3 Exodis Pt1, Ellen got found out when a map she didn't destroy was found on a dead skin job.

"Lucy Lawless" model 3 skin job has a deam about Sharon's baby (Skin Jobs dream!)

Next week they get off that rock....