Vorta

TFMF

In the DS9 Episode 'Jem Haddar' (Season 2 finale) The Vorta in it had a special ability - Telekinesis (I think) - she was able to through people onto the ground with her mind and was able to deactivate that forcefield (although that could have been a set up)

What ever happened to this ability?

It also could have been some sort of device that allowed her to do that. The Dominion has proven itsself to have advanced technology. There is an old quote that comes to mind " Any techonolgy that is sufficiantly advanced would seem like magic to thoes who do not understand it" -Arthur C. Clarke.

I think its easier to slip a device into a vorta then to create one with kenetic powers. It coulds also explain why there is no other vorta like that. You could argue that maybe the Foudners didnt think that Vorta needed the device or special powers later on due to the fact that there where millions of Jem'hedar Soldiers who would protect them. But yea, I was asking myself that question when I first saw that eps.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said - if the Founders could take a race and uplift them to sentience, it's fairly likely that they're good at genetic engineering... and of course, they did a number on the Jem'Hadar too.

You offer a good alternative explanation but it seems unlikely as she didn't seem to have a device on her... I guess it could have been implanted in her body.

Also - given the fact the Jem'Hadar didn't seem particularly stronger/faster/better than any other Alpha Quadrant race, it would have been a bit incongruous if the Vorta all had something that would be rather useful for warriors to have... I guess not needing to eat, drink or sleep was probably a fair advantage though.

Also - given the fact the Jem'Hadar didn't seem particularly stronger/faster/better than any other Alpha Quadrant race' date=' it would have been a bit incongruous if the Vorta all had something that would be rather useful for warriors to have... I guess not needing to eat, drink or sleep was probably a fair advantage though.[/quote']

Also remember that we had Jem'Hadar classed as 'Gamma' or 'Alpha' (See the episode: One Little Ship...) so there were obviously Jem'Hadar bread in the Alpha Quadrant which may be slightly better adapted to the situations in the Alpha Quadrant. (Although it's not made clear what kind of adaptations Alpha's may have over Gamma's...)

Yeah, they had the Alphas... but they really didn't elaborate on any differences... the one episode where anything was made of it, it seemed to indicate that the Gammas were older and wiser... whereas the Alphas were kind of arrogant and brash - perhaps a metaphor for their "youth"?

Still, it would have been nice if the Jem'Hadar were actually... y'know superstrong and blaster resistant (kind of like Scarrans). I guess the fact they were just churned out by the billion was something of a mitigating factor. I'd probably have enjoyed seeing that element elaborated upon.

I just watched the eps with that special Vorta, and I am still baffeld about it. I dont know what it is, device or real powers, but I think its safe to say that it was a slip up on the writters part. I did find it funny tho that Kira said " one this is for certian, she will be back. The question is, who she will bring with her.." and yet that women vorta never appears agian, lol.

I did find it funny tho that Kira said " one this is for certian' date=' she will be back. The question is, who she will bring with her.." and yet that women vorta never appears agian, lol.[/quote']

Yeah.. that was a shame. Its like the chick Vorta in "The Ship" that you never see again.

Dont get me wrong... Weyoun (which number? :D ) was awesome... but it would have been cool to see more of the women Vorta.

On a sidenote, I have to say that Iggy Pop made a TERRRRRRIBLE Vorta.

On a sidenote' date=' I have to say that Iggy Pop made a TERRRRRRIBLE Vorta.[/quote']

Was he the one in The Magnificant Ferengi?

I thought that episode was really funny. The Ferengi trying to work as a team with Quark as their leader (LOL)

On a sidenote' date=' I have to say that Iggy Pop made a TERRRRRRIBLE Vorta.[/quote']

Was he the one in The Magnificant Ferengi?

I thought that episode was really funny. The Ferengi trying to work as a team with Quark as their leader (LOL)

Yes.. that was the episode. Not bad in itself... but Iggy Pops performance? .. *shudder* :D

• 2 weeks later...

While budget concerns were a likely factor, I'll do the typical fanwanking and say she was a unique Vorta agent. She was specially designed for espionage. The reason I say this is that it's a safe bet to assume that the reason they have replacement clones is because each Vorta is basically a model specifically designed to a particular task. Along those lines, it's not a stretch at all to say they have uniquely designed abilities, telekinesis being one of them.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it might be also fair to say that the energy particle that the Vorta used - took a long time to 'charge' and fire. Although seemingly powerful, its not very quick, so a punch to the face or a nicely aimed phaser shot would render that telekinesis bolt useless.

(Sorry for not posting much - had PC and ISP problems)

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you mean is, by and large by season 3 TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT had actually managed to finally stop being poor/mediocre and actually pulled together their act to start knocking out more consistently good episodes.

And given the fact they only appeared briefly in the last episode of season 2 of DS9, they were really pretty much exclusive to 3+ - barring their mind powers, it seems like something of an irrelevant statement.

And given the fact they only appeared briefly in the last episode of season 2 of DS9' date=' they were really pretty much exclusive to 3+ - barring their mind powers, it seems like something of an irrelevant statement.[/quote']

Another note you should take into consideration, is that in the episode they appeared in season 2, we thought they were the founders. We didn't know Odo's people were the real founders. So although their appearance may have been brief in season 2, the affect they had in season 3 was much different in the next season - they were just servents after this point.

That's true... we don't discern the true nature of the Founders until... is it the last episode of "The Search"?

Maybe THAT'S the reason they had the mind powers in their first appearance - to add to the whole "god" thing, in case the Federation had heard about the Founders too much.

Personally, I think if the Founders had been real smart they'd have concealed the whole shapeshifting thing... but I guess that wouldn't really have played into the Odo aspect of the arc.