Heroes Discussion

Antipodean

35670.jpg

If you havn't been watching 'Heroes' - then you have been missing out. BIG TIME. I've enjoyed the first handful of episodes more than any other tv program since the new Series of Battlestar Galactica. And if you have been foolish enough to miss it... my advice is simple, do whatever you can to get hold of the 4 episodes that have been broadcast so far. I think that the Sci Fi chanel is showing the repeats already?

Anyhow - If you have been watching, and you caught episode 4, how cool was it to see a glimpse of future Hiro? I can't wait for the next episode.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think the cheerleader has a lowered threshold for pain or just grits her teeth and gets hurt knowing she can heal almost immediately? I mean, that girl has been broken, burnt, stabbed, chopped, It has to hurt, even for her. Sticking your hand into a garbage disposal to get something out while it's running? OUCH!

Yeah this series is really good. I like the way they present the story. And that future /Hiro scene was great. Completely unexpected. At first after reading th discription this seemed like 4400 meets X-Men but i think it looks more like a variation of X-men right now.

P.S Jericho also seems to be a great show, although its not related to sci-fi; at leat not yet.

I'm really into this show as well. When the mrs. was describing it to me, I was expecting an X Men rip off, something like "Mutant X". Needless to say, we were plesantly surprised to see this show was innovative, and creative. On par with BSG imo.

So with that said, finaly one of the big networks (NBC) are airing a sci-fi / fantasy show, that dosent seem to suck, and people like us are enjoying. I have a funny feeling that they will cancel the series around episode 7, becuase thats what the big networks always seem to do with good shows.

Lordy, glad it's not some kind of Smallville "kryptonite baddy of the week" scenario.

I think you're wrong about them cancelling it though S0V13T (thankfully) according to Wikipedia it had phenomenal ratings, the highest for an NBC premier for five years. Given the fact ratings generally take a while to drop off and assuming this stays good, it's probably going to do fine. Already booked for a full season.

It'll be interesting to see where we go with the stripper mom, is her power just insanity or does her alter ego actually have powers or something...

Hiro constantly cracks me up, the idea of a couple of Japanese guys - one of who can manipulate time and space - on a road trip in the US is hilarious.

I'd say that there was a kind of Lost vibe to the show but that would be a disservice as this has actual substance, rather than the utter lack that Lost has. The interconnectedness thing is nice and I'm interested to see how it'll all pan out. I mean we've got the guy who wants powers, the Indian guy trying to work it all out, some superpowered nutter who wants to kill all the other people with powers, that creepy guy with glasses... Let's hope this goes good places.

Hiro from the future looked awesome.

Hell yeah! But I love how they used future Hiro and how different he becomes, almost as a teaser, to show us that we're in for one hell of a journey. I want to know already what Hiro goes through to become his future badass self. I'm now keen as mustard to see Peter Petrelli adopt his new persona as the leader type figure of this motley bunch of heroes, and find out what trials they go through for him to pick up a scar. I'm with S0V13T on this one... Heroes really is turning out to be on par with BSG. Fingers crossed it stays that way. I've got a feeling it will though, at least for a Season or two.

I'm really into this show as well. When the mrs. was describing it to me, I was expecting an X Men rip off, something like "Mutant X". Needless to say, we were plesantly surprised to see this show was innovative, and creative. On par with BSG imo.

So with that said, finaly one of the big networks (NBC) are airing a sci-fi / fantasy show, that dosent seem to suck, and people like us are enjoying. I have a funny feeling that they will cancel the series around episode 7, becuase thats what the big networks always seem to do with good shows.

I hope they don't cancel it, whilst I have only so-far seen up to episode 2...it really is a good show.

** SPOILERS BE HERE **

Tearing people in half and launching someone across the room with one hit = super strength, and Dark Niki seems to have a monopoly on it (for now...). The schizophrenia (which it -isn't-, because schizophrenia is NOT multiple personality disorder) is just a flaw in Niki, much like Isaac's heroin addiction. They aren't part of the power, but they sure limit how it's used.

As for Claire, well... the fact that she can be injured (not to mention the mortuary scene) without actually making much of a reaction suggests a high pain tolerance, or no feeling of pain at all. If it hurt her, she wouldn't just casually reach into the garbage disposal for her ring. Any reaction to injury seems limited to an annoyed, 'Goddamit' sort of response.

As for the series itself... I can't think of ANY recent series (and VERY few older ones) that match this one.

Edit: The fact that the only clear-cut 'bad guy' is -possibly- Sylar is great. Most superhero stories are about clear-cut good guys and bad guys. It's a refreshing change.

Edit 2: Also, after some discussion with some friends of mine, it seems there's a strong suggestion that Claire's healing powers will NOT let her grow back parts that are totally lost unless they're small. After all, her ribs didn't heal until she put 'em into the right spot, and her chest didn't heal until she reattached the 'loose ends', so to speak...

Also... did you hear that Emerson Electric Company sued NBC over the garbage disposal scene?

Yeah, I heard about that lawsuit - I saw it on wiki... pretty stupid.

Evil Nikki is probably a case of disassociative identity or multiple personality disorder and it's fairly obvious from all the dialogue - "I became a different person" "You were talking to a different person" "I did what needed to be done, just like I always do" etc. that she's not really evil, more... extremely expedient and amoral. Although, she maybe iced a few too many people... still, no one's perfect.

Cheerleader girl obviously has super regeneration AND a remarkably low sensitivity to pain... if any. I mean, her reaction to coming back to life and finding her body partially dissected was surprise. In fact, she seems to generally have had to notice an injury - in any even. Clearly, she can't heal if there's a foreign object in her. As to regenerating lost body parts... didn't she say she went through a mulcher or something? From the sounds of it, she has tested it a fair bit but I think dismemberment might get her.

Anyway, this show is going great and I'm loving, it loving it, loving - loving it like that.

Cheerleader girl obviously has super regeneration AND a remarkably low sensitivity to pain... if any. I mean' date=' her reaction to coming back to life and finding her body partially dissected was surprise. In fact, she seems to generally have had to notice an injury - in any even. Clearly, she can't heal if there's a foreign object in her. As to regenerating lost body parts... didn't she say she went through a mulcher or something? From the sounds of it, she has tested it a fair bit but I think dismemberment might get her.[/quote']

Well, obviously she is not totally invulnerable, considering that future Hiro had to come back in time to tell our motley crew of Heroes that they had to save the cheerleader, in order to save the world.

Invulnerable? No. Immortal? Possibly. Odds are, though, if Sylar removes her brain, she'll stay dead until it's returned and can reheal back into her body. I'm betting that she can't regenerate parts that are totally removed and kept separate from her (at least, it seems that way since all the healing she has done on the show so far involves putting the bits back together and letting them heal together again). Besides, if she CAN regenerate parts cut off and disposed of entirely, there's nothing Sylar can do to kill her, up to and including removing her brain (which would make the whole 'save the cheerleader' thing rather pointless.)

Hiro from the future looked awesome.

Hell yeah! But I love how they used future Hiro and how different he becomes, almost as a teaser, to show us that we're in for one hell of a journey. I want to know already what Hiro goes through to become his future badass self.

I love this show, but as far as future Hiro goes, I (almost) don't believe it. No doubt he learns to speak English, but I think it would be funny if the only reason that he's dressed that way is because he already KNOWS that when he goes back in time he has a sword with him. Maybe it's just an attempt to make himself appear more "badass" than he really is? :D

Heroes is a great series. I just started watching it. Hiro is my favorite character. The guy is really funny... The other characters are interesting as well. Regarding the cheerleader, she appears to have Wolverine-like abilities. Her only problem is the lack of an adamantium skeleton to avoid death by dismemberment.