Heroes Discussion

Antipodean

Well, the whole comic indicates there's a degree of causality loop - Hiro is doing what happens in the comic for no other reason that, that's what the comic says. So... kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. So, yeah - hearing that he had a sword probably means that he's going to get a sword.

Immortal - well, that remains to be seen... it looks as if you "kill" her by sticking something in her brain, you can dismember her. So, axe in the head and then just burn her, melt her etc. It would be cool if she could regrow full limbs. Anyone that has seen Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk will know Wolverine can't.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a good question. It's obvious that he works for someone who's studying people with unusual abilities, but neither his ultimate motives nor those of his employers is known (yet). Obviously, they're not out to kill / disable people with superhuman abilities, or they would have done more than monitor Matt's brain and rob him of a day.

My suspicion is that he's simply working to keep track of and discover the source of their powers for reasons yet unrevealed. He has considerable authority and loyalty from his coworkers, as was obvious when he used the resources available to him to 'hollow' Brody... but even that could be considered of professional interest, given he may be using his own daughter as a 'control' of sorts? It's really hard to tell if he's personally hostile against those with superpowers, or is simply very professional and detached.

As a side note... who else here thinks those 'birth parents' were obviously fake? ^^

Edit: A friend of mine and I were toying with the idea that he was using the Haitian to implant suggestions or controls into the minds of people with superpowers, maybe as an effort by a clandestine organization to find and get some power over people with superhuman abilities?

Yeah, there's clearly an objective to The Glasses Man (as I think of him) - it's not obvious WHAT it is but it's clearly not entirely malevolent... and it seems to be kind of... exploratory and they want that Indian guy to do something. It's hard to tell what they want... maybe they WANT the heroes to do what they're to do?

Birth parents - obviously fake. The Glasses Man doesn't want her getting support for some reason... but he obviously cares for The Cheerleader as a daughter.

There is an obvious possibility that The Glasses Man is taking the Heroes to control them to some end game.

I've got one bug with the show though - what's with Nikki and her "superpower" of violent schizophrenia??? I guess they're gonna go somewhere with that though...

Maybe a Jekyll and Hyde kind of deal? Only saw a portion of an episode, but didn't really want to get too invested (sci-fi on NBC?). But if it gets the community's approval, maybe I should check it out after all...

New theory about 'the glasses man'... It may be that the organization he belongs to is enhancing the power of the victims so that they become exceptionally strong (and thus some lose control)? This makes me think that Mr. Bennet's boss may be responsible for the rise in and subsequent improvement of people with superpowers. It'd explain why the computer gene readout had that very logo-ish signature popping up... a signature in the genes of those with superpowers left by those who engineered those powers?

For some reason, I've got the feeling that Sylar has something to do with Mr. Bennet's organization, and may be using them to harvest the body parts of those that they've tweaked... maybe he's even the boss. ^^

Total conjecture, of course... but the fact that there's so much conjecture to make really does show this is a good series.

Edit: From Heroes' entry on Wikipedia:

According to the official NBC website, not only do the characters discover what having superpowers means to them, but also uncover a larger picture concerning the origin of their superpowers. The characters eventually become involved in each other's lives as they attempt to evade the series antagonist, who wishes to harness their "super DNA" for his own ends.

Heh... i.e. A great deal of what I've been conjecturing. They really shouldn't have announced that... it'd make for more fan discussion. XD Still, who is meant by 'series antagonist' could be up in the air... is it Sylar, or is it Mr. Bennet / his boss? Or are they one and the same?

Edit 2: Another possibility to debate over... what if there's more than one person acting under the name 'Sylar'? Maybe 'Sylar' is really a group.

Anyone figuring there is probably going to be some more from Radioactive Man? I mean, either that line about going off like an atomic bomb was a real obvious hint as to the cause or it's a deliberate red herring.

Also - I notice that both Radioactive Man and the psi cop were "tagged" on the back. The RNA thing is different though, that's a motif throughout the show... and seems to appear and disappear on Nikki as she goes evil. Uh, someone else has a necklace with it.

• 3 weeks later...

At first this sounded like another 'Smallville' or 'Mutant X'...

... oh how wrong I was. This is frakking awesome.

This is the kind of show that needs to be done.

While it is an old story it is told in a unique way. Good vs. Evil BUT who is really the good guy and who's the bad? An age-old tale with a modern, realistic feel. This show has put what I feel about super-powers into form. Not everyone is so clear-cut good or bad, they all have a little shade of grey in them.

The lead guy being able to mimic other supers powers paves the way for him to be the badass Neo-like superhero (he does sound a little like Keanu Reeves when I close my eyes). He copies their powers in close proximity but he hasn't been around more than one at a time so the potential is there that he can copy multiple powers simultaneously.

Hiro is my hero. I just love the way he speaks. Together with Ando they are just perfect. They make me laugh especially with all the facial expression that Hiro does.

The main thign I see is that all have a weakness. They aren't the near-invulnerable heroes of comic-book yore. The cheerleader can't regenerate if her brain stem is severed, the lead hero can only use the powers of those near to him, Hiro can manipulate time and space but he's still very much average without it, the flyer isn't invulnerable or superstrong, the blonde is only superstrong when her immoral self takes control.

I think the best thing is that I only recognise one actor for the whole bunch, Mohinder's father. All the rest are less well known which adds to theri substance. I don't know them so I don't have any preconceptions about what they can do.

And Christopher Eccleston rumoured to be joining them? Sweet.

Well, the latest episode gives the scoop on Sylar (Gabriel Sylar, that is... or Mr. Grey?), and Jessica for those that were curious about it, plus the fate of Hiro's waitress saving expedition... definitely a great episode with a lot of stuff packed into it. I still have to say this is the best TV show I've seen in ages, if not in memory.

This show really is great - close to sexual in the pleasure it induces.

Smallville - before it slumped into a horribly tiresome rut - at it's HEIGHT couldn't touch this show. Hell, what could?

It's like what Lost kept promising and promising and promising and just couldn't deliver on. What's the expression you use in that colonial backwater? Writing a cheque it's ass couldn't cash?

One just feels that Heroes just... knows what it's doing. It's telling a story. It's not getting involved in some preachy morality. Maybe that's why it's so damned good.

well, after the cliffhanger, we know where Sylar came from... and why he does what he does...

we know Hiro is still learning his limits...

we suspect Mohinder?, as was his sister, is a hero without knowing it...

we know the little boy is hero material with both parents being heroes... and his tech hobbies...

the flying politician must have some protection from friction and windchill while flying at high altitudes...

radioactive man doesn't seem to be harmed much by the radiation he gives off, so depending on the power, it does have some unmentioned built in protections against harming the owners...

Smallville had the built in problem of having a well known story that needed to be told in a new manner while still being entertaining... They've done very well but as Clark gets closer to being Superman, the writers are as trapped as someone that paints themselves into a corner...

They did a good job until season 4, when things instantly and palpably became rubbish... but that's for another thread.

It would be kind of boring if Mohinder was a Hero - because that has been done SO many times. Additionally, his father would probably have worked it out.

The son being some kind of technomancer - I guess that's kind of handy (like memory retention) but (like memory retention) pretty useless for fights. Unless you could use it to rapidly assemble a droid army or something.

I think it's a standard thing to write in powers that won't destroy their users - generally. Like, superspeed generally is accompanied with super-reactions and the ability to withstand lots of friction... apparently X-men guy Quicksilver has some blink reflex and the fluids he blinks are x-times thicker than normal people so he can cope with bits getting in there etc. Most of the time it's generally not explained... and given the general defiance of the laws of physics that superheroes show, that's probably for the best.

Being a technomancer, useless in fights? Some of the greatest supervillains ever made were mechanical geniuses... but I guess it isn't flashy enough to base a superhero on (well, except for Iron Man, of course. ^^)

I dunno about the 'innate resistance to what they're able to do' thing. The cop seems VERY badly suited to controlling his power, and you can see what Sylar's did to him... I guess it's just that those that have powers they can't control well or that have bad side effects typically end up becoming supervillains in conventional comics terms.

And it's true... given that super type settings are really modern fantasy, they can do things with no scientific explanation given or necessary except in the vaguest senses.

• 3 weeks later...

On Eccleston joing the cast:

Claude, an invisible man played by British actor Christopher Eccleston (Doctor Who), appears Jan. 22. "He's been living with his invisibility for many years and has come to grips with it, so he'll give us a different view into this hero world," [Tim] Kring explains. "He's big, imposing and charismatic, and will become a mentor to Peter  albeit a tough, reluctant and stern one. He'll help Peter learn to use and control his powers.

Also the series will debut on SciFi in the UK and later on BBC in early 2007

What? No talk about the Heroes scandle? Apparently viewers are going to get an even bigger surprise when Heroes returns in January-

Claire's friend Zach is NOT gay! Although it was never said outright that he was, he was clearly written and marketed as such. Even the show's creator, Tim Kring, has confirmed that that was his intent for the character. This sudden change has made many of the shows gay fans disgruntled.

There's an interesting article about the controversy HERE that indicates that creator Tim Kring was pressured by "outside sources" to make changes to the character.

TV Guide's Michael Ausiello had this to say-

Question: Have you seen the story on afterelton.com about the "de-gaying" of Heroes' Zach? Shameful. C.J.

Ausiello: Yes, I've seen it, and it is indeed troubling on so many levels. For those in the dark, Claire's sexually ambivalent sidekick Zach (played by Thomas Dekker, the upcoming star of The Sarah Connor Chronicles) was supposed to come out in the "Homecoming" episode, but, according to a statement posted on afterelton.com by series creator Tim Kring, he was forced back into the closet after it became "too complicated behind the scenes to push this issue further with this particular character." Translation: Someone objected to the plot, and my sources tell me it was not NBC, but rather Dekker's camp that came down with a severe case of gay panic syndrome. In fact, rumor has it that Dekker's manager allegedly threatened to pull her client from the show unless the story was changed. Rather tellingly, that same manager promised to get back to me with a comment yesterday but never did.

And more from Ask Ausiello

Question: If Thomas Dekker doesn't want to play his Heroes role (Ask Ausiello 12/13) then he should be fired and replaced with someone who would be more than happy to play the role and have a job. Maybe I should send Tim Kring my headshot. Greg Salmon

Ausiello: I'd hold off on that if I were you. I hear that Tim has come up with a very interesting solution to the Zach problem.

I'm intrigued to see what Kring comes up with.

"Making" him straight doesn't  bother me too much because, in the grand scheme of the show, Zach has pretty much been a minor character. I'm still going to watch the show. The change just makes his back-story seem a little out of place in a show where the other characters are all so well written. Without him being gay, I just don't see him identifying as much with Claire being "different". Or him being ok with just being friends.

To tell the truth, I never thought he was gay. I always considered him the type of kid I was way back in high school: skinny and therefore prone to the "popular" kids equating my skinniness to gayness. Kind of glad to see they backed out of it because by now the "gay" kid has become cliche.

If Kring had been smart, he'd just have said that he thought the sexuality of Zacharius was - as it was - irrelevant. There was never really any indication that they're related and given the fact he's been neuralised now, not really a big deal.

I suppose homosexual viewers have a right to be vexed though - if he was written gay and then changed because of pressure... well, if you started a character out as black and changed them to white... might get into some trouble for that. Still, I know I won't be losing any sleep over it.