It looks like it might just about almost be a good time to buy an HDTV

slug

Argos UK

I know I start to whine about getting a big TV occasionally but It looks like it might be gettting to be a good time to do so.

It also looks like it really might be worth going the whole 42 inches too, if you can get an HDTV for 700 pounds.

It is still probably good to wait until new year, but Jesus, I think I'll jump on the first good offer I find.

Are there any serious drawbacks in going for a cheaper brand? I'm prepared for the possibility that the speakers might be a bit crappy, or something like that. I'd certainly want to avoid paying double the amount and getting a name brand model.

We all use TFT monitors from completely random unknown manufacturers that work fine, so would it not be okay to get HDTV's, being the same technology, from the same companies?

The way I see it, the change that has taken place in the market is mainly to do with a shift towards devices that don't have moving parts. Where Samsung and LG used to make crap video machines and walkmen, they are now respected manufacturers of HDTVs, perhaps it is easier to make devices that function well when they are esentially static rather than having moving parts prone to mechanical failure??

Although CRT technology may not really have had moving parts (except for the on/off switch, which would actually seem to be a prime cause of old TV's breaking down) the massive amount of power being blasted down the tube meant that it was distinctly perishable.

So, should I get a cheap brand model? I'm certainly tempted. If I was told that there is a good chance they'll break in a year or so I'd consider reconsidering.

You do realise that in the UK the adopted HD standard is going to be 1080i not 720p.

Meaning the screen you linked *isn't* "HD" enough to show that without downscaling the image.

And here's the hidden bitch about LCD flat screens (including computer monitors) :

Do on-line research for the screen you are interested in , and look at the bit depth that the screen can resolve.When you find what it can do , bear this in mind - DVD's and digital video normally use a bit depth of 24bit colour. (and for monitors many GFX cards and games like to run in 32 bit colour)

How many flat screens are out there that can "do" 24 bit colour I ask ? :)

( from my own research I have only found 16 bit LCD screens so far - this is why you get the "solarisation" effect on flat screens)

In summation - WAIT :)

heard recently that if you go for 42 or over you are better with plasma than lcd and for under 42 lcd is better not sure really as ive never rated plasma because of the limited life times they have but that has changed and the lifetimes are almost 2 times more now than 3 years ago so i too would say wait.

• 2 weeks later...