Windows XP Update

Guest c4evap

Guest c4evap

These other sites that were mentioned...do they require your Windows installation to by "verified" by Microsoft? Because WindizUpdate doesn't.

c4  B)

Guest c4evap

I tried Autopatcher. The first time it locked up my computer and I had to force a shutdown. The second try went much better because I only let it update a few items at a time. One small problem: there were a few items that I checked off to install and Autopatcher confirmed that they had been installed...but after a reboot Autopatcher still wanted to install these items. I had to go to WindizUpdate to install those...then Autopatcher finally stopped wanting to install them. So, I guess there are a few bugs in the program. As for Bigfix. I don't know...I just don't like the program (go figure).

As for these sites NOT needing to verify your XP installation...true enough until you try to download and install Windows Media Player 11. It appears that Autopatcher uses a link to the MS web site for the download/installation. So, if your copy of XP is...er...unusual, it will not install until your system passes verification. Haven't tried to install Media Player 11 using WindizUpdate as yet. Will attempt that sometime this week.

c4  B)

The problem is not getting media player 11 or whatever to download, the problem is how to get around the WGA validation. Either because your software is "odd" or falsely registering non-valid. Viruses or hardware problems can make it register false negative. Most programs/update sites link to microsoft to get the updates or programs you want. Solving the problem of how to "prove" you are a legitimate user after you get it is the hard part. Try google. Everything seems to come up in there every once in a while. ;)

I think microsoft is adding a verification process to all of their software (or will eventually) so these sites will become a little useless. I'm quite lucky in that my laptop came with a valid copy of XP. (Of course i've lost the installation disk, so lets hope i don't have to format :D)

Guest c4evap

Yeah, I also have a valid copy of the Home Edition of XP that came with my laptop. I prefer the Pro/Corporate version however. How old is this OS and they are still charging top dollar? If MS wants to stop illegal copies of XP - make it affordable Billy boy! And if you're lucky to get it included with the computer you buy...you're damn lucky to actually get an OS CD with it. I have a few friends who's computers came loaded with XP but no OS CD. They have "alternate" versions running now because they had to reinstall due to XP screw-ups (as we've all had to do from time to time...THANKS BILL!). Like everything else in this materialistic world...it's all about the Benjamins!

c4  B)

a few companies like Hewlett Packard create a backup partition with your OS and data software stored there.

that is NOT the first place I look for a backup, accidentally erased my cousin's a few years ago, thanks be to the goddess, I had an "alternate" for him when I reformatted...

Yup, it's all about the pentiums.. erh...money. :D

btw, for those living in Europe, MS OS prices are higher still, with Vista coming this month, prices have been released and official prices in Europe are up to 80% higher than in the US, for exactly the same software (some minor changes due to local settings). The UK seems to be hit hardest, and that while they don't even need language translation. I plan on buying a new pc sometime this summer, but chances are I'll be buying XP OS with it instead of Vista, haven't made my mind up yet (I was also still running win2000 in 2004, while XP was released in 2002), currently running XP SP2 Professional retail (with activation and all that other crap), need also a new OS with the upcoming computer because I plan on running 2 pc's. Linux is nice, but still has not yet everything I want (or I haven't looked hard enough yet).

Still running WMP9 here btw, still runs everything just fine (when I use it, which is rarely and basically only to play wmv files), have no need for wmp 10 or 11 and won't install it unless forced (since I don't see improvement, 10/11 must be worse than 9, I hate all that visual fancyness, give me a plain old win2000 look anytime).

Anyway, I read just the other day that Vista Business/Enterprise activation has allready been 'sort of' cracked, with the use of a business activation software package, which can even be run on the same machine using virtual machines. And with the release of monthly complete update packages, I can't see why anybody who wants to use an illegal version could not do so again and just as easily with Vista as with XP. imo all they do is make life harder for everybody (including themselves). Most money is made in the corporate world (those who purchase 100+ pc's including OS), so if you ask me, this fight against OS piracy is not giving much financial results (as is so for most piracy fights, the way they are currently done, but at least MS has the decency to do it in a mostly politically correct manner, which cannot be said from some other organisations with similar problems). But I'm getting off topic... :)

There is absolutly nothing that appeals to me in Vista. The system requirements seem to be enormous, and although i could turn a lot of the resource-hungry settings off, it would remove a lot of the point of buying Vista. I'm happy with XP, and i don't have any problem keeping it up-to-date. I use Home Edition on my laptop and Pro edition on my gaming computer.

Yes I too am very happy with XP Pro SP2, all I have connected to Vista is the 'look & sound' which is rather a nice change. I was also concerned with the resource hogging of Vista, dont think my machine is ready for that yet so Im sticking with my ever reliable XP.

The only appealing aspect of vista, is the Direct X 10 upgrade that is comming out some time before the sun goes nova.

DX 10, the base library of what future games will be based from, will only be released for Vista, so If you want to be playing new games at all in the next few years, you will NEED to have Vista as your OS (Unless some developers, like ID are using the OpenGL libraries, then you can use Mac or Linux).

Other then that, I'm waiting untill 'hackers' develop some tools like Nlite and XP Antispy,  like tools to trim the fat off this gigantic piece of bloatware, disable the hard-coded DRM,  allow for third party device drivers /  applications, reduced hypervisory presence, and of course, I'd like to be able to install a new video card, without having to buy a new licence for my OS.

Yep. I'm sticking with PCLinuxOS, and Windows 2000 untill I absolutely have to downgrade to Vista, so I  can play the next killer game.

Darn I totally forgot about the DX10 gaming. Hopefully it will not affect XP gamers all that much. Most game developers make multiple hardware 'routines' in their software engine, so that if a card does not support the 'recommended' DX version, it can choose a different routine (for a lower dx version). I'm not at all sure if this will work with DX10 games too, since it's a rather big upgrade, with losts of changes/improvements and DX10 cannot be installed for XP, so the game itself would have to handle some more tasks that are now handled by compatible DX versions.

I would suspect that they wouldn't leave the biggest part of the market in the cold however, so at least for the first year (maybe even 2 though I wouldn't bet on it), I'd expect there to be 'intermediate' solutions, like a dual DX design for most games or as S0V13T said, more use of OpenGL. They want to make money and they probably don't expect all people to upgrade their computer OS all at once when Vista is released.

What's even more alarming however, is a rumour I picked up at a hardware site (forgot which one, I visit too many): the next version of MS OS would likely have some serious application compatibility problems with current software. Meaning, most software designed to run on XP/Vista will no longer work on that version. However, that was just a rumour and it's still years away. Another rumour was that the Vista server version (who knows what they'll really call it...) will have support for WinFS, one of the major features they removed from Vista (not that it matters all that much for the average user).