Community Service

TFMF

It's been over a month since the forum was upgraded and since then many new features have been added.

I thought i'd give you all a little added insentive to actually use these features ;). So for doing any one of the following you will get +1 Q'ness.

• [o]
Submit 1 article.
[o] Upload 2 files to the Downloads Area.
[o] Submit 3 links to the Links System.
[o] Donate $1 + to Nite.
[o] Reporting a post made by a Spam Bot using the Report to Moderator link at the bottom right of every post.

[br] You can find information on how to use any of these features in the FAQ guide to new features

If i seem to have forgotten to give you your Q'ness - send me a PM or Post a Reply in this topic.

I'm just that sad, eh? ::)

(Oh.. and you only get 1 Q'ness a day.)

I've got plenty of things i'd like to upload but i'm worried about infringing copyright laws, an example is artwork of H.R. Giger the swiss artist who designed the Alien concept used in the films of the same name. although the art is freely available to browse online i wonder if placing it here would be ok? should i place it and if it is an infringement it can be removed? I have lots of sci-fi art material i would love to share with this forum.

I wondered about that too. The way i see it is you could upload these images to files hosts/image hosts and that seems legal. I think, so long as original copyrights on images are left intact then it should be legal.

Indeed +Q'ness awarded :)

Oh and i forgot to mention - all uploaded files and submitted articles require approving from Nite at the moment. I might see about Nite allowing more staff to handle those sections. Any links submitted only need to be verified by a staff member so they should be processed much faster.

I want to post some movies that came on the Starship Troopers promo CD that was a freebie, can I post these files if I state copyright Buena VIsta International?

There is nothing on the packaging concerning reproduction.

It would appear these video are not on utube so I assume they might be interesting to some people here.

Thanks.

I want to post some movies that came on the Starship Troopers promo CD that was a freebie, can I post these files if I state copyright Buena VIsta International?

There is nothing on the packaging concerning reproduction.

It would appear these video are not on utube so I assume they might be interesting to some people here.

Thanks.

I think it will still infringe copyright thou, you are better asking nite on this.

I'll also give +Q'ness to every mod who deletes a spam bot post ;)

Hehe, that's +1 for me then. Just nicked a spam thread from general scifi. :D

(can't help with the spam in this thread though)

EDIT: this thread, for some weird reason that escapes me atm, seems particularly attractive to spambots.

(maybe the first thread (visually), in the first board (logically))

[me=TetsuoShima]places sign: don't feed the bots!!  :P[/me]

(we wouldn't want them to multiply or feel at home)

The movies I would like to post are about 6 MB each, very small frames, poorly encoded because they are so old. They are in  .mov format and need to be viewed in Quicktime. I would like to post about 5.

Nice idea about giving Qness to mods for Spam posts, how about giving points to members who have invested the time in typing out a personal message to report a spam post?

Thanks.

EDIT: this thread, for some weird reason that escapes me atm, seems particularly attractive to spambots.

(maybe the first thread (visually), in the first board (logically))

At least if they post here i can remove them.

@ Chiggy - Feel free to post them. Also - simply clicking the Report to Moderator link on the post made by a SpamBot is more effective than PMing an appropriate moderator. This alerts all of the moderators to the offending post. However if you notice one of the mods online who moderates in the forum with the problem-post - then you could simply PM them.

I'll give +1 Q'ness to every member who reports a spam post :)