Should they bring back some of the old classics?

Ulysses

I have been watching (again) a show dating back to the mid 70's (one of the very first sci-fi shows I ever remember watching.....SPACE 1999.

Whilst watching the first series, when I look beyond the aging special effects, there was actually a really good base for a long lasting sci-fi show that in my opion should be looked at being re-fashioned and made for the 2000's.  In the orginal series season 1 is pretty good with some inventive and imaginative writing, it was ashame series 2 was bad.

I dont know what do you lot think?

Well... they're remaking everything else, so I don't see why they wouldn't remake that.  The again... the whole deal with copyrights and named 'franchises' probably precludes any remake.  Can't very well remake it with a title like 'Space 1999', can they?

I agree the first series is lots better than the second, its ashame that gerry anderson sold out to ITV as while the beeb owned it thescript writing was superb. Maya imo was like K9 in dr who and was a kind of get out of jail card, anytime the alphans were in trouble good ol' Maya would save the day, Catherine Schell however was very beautiful and the ratings were higher on ITV  ::)

Space 1999 is way up in my all time sci-fi series hall of fame coming 2nd only too another great anderson production UFO which space1999 was derived from.

There has in fact been plenty of speculation for a remake or follow on over the years but nothing is being made at the moment. space 2099 is an actual speculative working title tho lol.

If anyone reads this thread and wants to know some good episodes to watch i would recommend watching the first 5 episodes of the first series in order to get a feel for it then the following episodes:-

S1E08 Guardian of Piri

S1E11 The Last Sunset

S1E22 Mission of the Darians

S1E23Dragons Domain

S2E17 & S2E18 The Bringers of Wonder I & II

S2E21 Dorzak

Any hammer horror fans would also enjoy earthbound S1E5 and Missing Link S1E7 which star Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

I watch all the episodes at least once a year and would strongly recommend anyone looking for something totally unique and sci-fi to watch them all.

I have to admit i have reservations on a remake being upto the standards of the original but if its done like what they did with BSG then it will be well worth it.

Theses are the episodes I really enjoyed from season 1

Black Sun

Ring Around the Moon

Earthbound

Missing Link

Guardian of Piri

Force of Life

Alpha Child

The Last Sunset

Voyager's Return

Collision Course

Death's Other Dominion

War Games

The Last Enemy

Space Brain

One that is well worth special mentioning is The Last Sunset, Space Brain and Black Sun[br]Posted on: January 27, 2007, 01:53:05 PM

I have to admit i have reservations on a remake being upto the standards of the original but if its done like what they did with BSG then it will be well worth it.

If they had the correct writers I am certain it would be a hit someone in Ronald D Moore vision would be a good choice, I do think that Gerry Anderson had a hit on his hands, if he had done this in the early 90's I think it would of lasted alot longer than it actually did and I think Anderson had the forsight into this show.

I dont actually think that they properly explored the full potential of this at all and would benifit form a re-make in the way BSG was.

part of the reason space 1999 ended was the andersons got divorced.

Oh i meant to include War Games in that list :) very good episode :)

Looks to me like you are like me really and would recommend ALL of season 1 neomaster :)

season 2 however is like its a totally different series and only bringers of joy has any sense of the first series in it. Dont get me wrong i do enjoy Season 2 but it is nothing like the quality and imagination and darkness of the first series, choosing instead to lighten it up and inject a little humour into these unfortunate peoples lives.

Ronald D Moore would probably be the ideal choice to remake this, the absolute bleakness of the concept of the inhabitants of a military base on the moon surviving a magneto-nuclear catastrophe that throws them to the far flung reaches of the universe with no control of where they are going and hoping to find a place they can call home is deeply disturbing and right up his street.

I had a party on Friday Sept 13th 1999 (yes Friday the 13th) wanted to do it fancy dress in Space 1999 costumes but in the end it was just a party :)

yeah a classic.. though have you guy seen blakes7...

that was a classic too i've only watched them recently too on dvd...

which lead me to watch survivors (mainly a drama, same writer, terry nation.)

a must to all fans esp if you liked space99!  :P

loved Blakes 7 too :) the Beeb did some great sci-fi shows back in the 70's :) i placed some links in the general section of the links page about some great beeb sci-fi shows from the 60's and 70's, i plan to add more for other shows from the past like the tomorrow people. its worth looking in at The Science Fiction and Telefantasy Databanks (http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/display.htm) as it has reviews on many great old skool shows :)

There has been some (small amount) of talk of bringing back Sapphire and Steel :D

Would probably be with different actors though (shame!)

There has also been talk for over a decade of bringing back Blakes 7 - but just talk.

I LOVED Space 1999 - and yeah , a remake would be great :)

" post="126346" timestamp="1169945602"]

There has been some (small amount) of talk of bringing back Sapphire and Steel :D

Would probably be with different actors though (shame!)

There has also been talk for over a decade of bringing back Blakes 7 - but just talk.

I LOVED Space 1999 - and yeah , a remake would be great :)

Yeah sapphire and steel was quite intresting, I watched it last year again and did enjoy the stories especially the british soldier at the train station story.

Blake 7 was always a fav of mine in the 80's just ashame that the talk of bring it back has never really took off but would be very intresting if they did (thou farscape kinda nicked some of the ideas)

I recall watching most of Space1999 more than 15 years ago (the 80's something) when they aired those on some "odd" cable channel (can't remember which one, might have been Sky Channel). Now I almost can't remember anything about the show itself, but I'll think I'll put this show on my "most rewatch" list and hopefully it'll come back again. Now I only need the time, which I'm also running short off.

If I had the time I would also watch all the other mentioned (Blakes7 and Steel Sapphire) which I never seen before.

(ps. Do you have to be a Britton to watch these? ;))

lol no you dont have to be a britton lol. at the time Saphire and steel got some bad press by people who claimed not to know what the hell was going on lol i found it fairly easy to understand but it was strange lol

Sapphire and Steel are ‘elements’ - beings from another dimension, who have been assigned by a higher power to prevent the fabric of time from being compromised. Time is a ‘corridor’, and creatures from the beginning and ends of time are constantly looking for ways to break into the present and cause chaos. These creatures seek weak spots in the fabric of time, often using anachronistic elements as triggers to break through. These triggers can be the reciting of nursery rhymes in an old house; the use of mirrors and old photographs; or the presence of a resentful ghost haunting a train station.

To be honest ITV (who shown Sahphire & steel) havent really that big into sci-fi, they do tend to be good at making soaps, dramas etc etc but they really havent made a effort in making any decent sci-fi (sapphire and steel being about the only one I actually remember and I think space 1999 which I think was made by ITC but could be wrong).

Its mainly been the BBC with Dr Who, Blakes 7 and red dwarf that have been the main british contibution to the world of sci-fi which is a shame as ITV and Sky should actually look more into this![br]Posted on: January 28, 2007, 02:55:38 PM

oh yeah nearly forgot Thunderbirds & terrorhawks..but that was back to the andersons puppets again.

series one space 1999 was shown on the beeb, carlton (part of ITV) did the second series. Yes ITV didnt do many good sci-fi's but they did do the tomorrow people which was another classic of the time that was extended in the late 80's as the new tomorrow people. ITV tended to import its sci-fi really.

series one space 1999 was shown on the beeb, carlton (part of ITV) did the second series. Yes ITV didnt do many good sci-fi's but they did do the tomorrow people which was another classic of the time that was extended in the late 80's as the new tomorrow people. ITV tended to import its sci-fi really.

Damn I cant actually recall watching tomorrow people must of missed that out for some reason

• 1 month later...

While I watched it, I was never a big fan of Space 1999.  UFO was a vastly superior series - which was only canned because 1999 could get US funding.

A number of the first season scripts for Space 1999 were adapted from scripts written for series 2 of UFO.

Maybe that's why they were better.[br]Posted on: 03-03-2007, 08:03:20

Sapphire & Steel is currently being remade...  by Big Finish, as audio stories, starring David Warner & Susannah Harker.