BlackViper's XP / 2000 & VISTA Configs

S0V13T

Every time I install XP onto a computer, I also install the BlackViper registry files to optimize the default system services. This is great, as it saves you a ton of ram and CPU cycles by disabeling what you don't need running all the time, or at all (Volume Shadow Copy, Indexing, DHCP Server, Themes, etc).

The CD I had my copies on got a little TOO scratched up, and I can't get the rars off it :( And the BlackViper website it's self went offline a few years ago, and I can't find anyt mirrors of the orignal files in a reasonable amount of time.

Since there are a lot of tech savvy members here, I'm hoping that SOMEONE knows what I'm talking about, and would happen to have the XP Pro Gamer, and the XP Pro Default configs handy that I could get a copy of.

Not heard of that application but it may be possible too still read the disk. have you tried it on another cd reader? try it on another computer it may get it. cd's can also be repaired by a very fine sanding and buffing on the bottom of the disk or a thin film of resin sprayed onto it (both remove the scratches) if on the other hand its the top film that is damaged then placing a new label on the disk can fix it but its a 95% chance its ruined. all these are however temporary solutions that could allow the data to be copied to a new source. using another reader works a surprising amount of times.

As tetsuoshima says these settings can be changed manually. I have found an article about what you need here http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12 it tells you how to unload the services and what they do. if you ask me its better to do it yourself as you have more control on the settings you want :)

just noticed that the original scripts are available on that page too

• 4 weeks later...

son of a .........

sweet i knew XP had loads of extra process that could be turned of, so i dl it & will check it out... sweet!

BTW regarding scrtached cds... well try them in a new cd reader, if that fails, then clean the cd with a orange based cleaner, that will take any dirt outta the scratches & if need be spread a drop of baby oil on the & wipe of any excess (fill scrathes)... this should read now (and a good time to bacup)...

also there are machines you can buy that scratch of a fine layer of the cd but i haven't used them personally... :)

• 1 month later...

BlackViper added (or modified) his Vista Configs & tweaks yesterday, you can find them HERE!

I know we all dont use Vista, itll be a while before I move over to it, but thought some of you might and Black Vipers been such a help in the past! Ill upload th PDF soon when its available.

• TFMF unpinned this topic