Niteshire Second Coming.

Megalith

nitshiredz0.jpg

[glow=Blue,2,200]TFMF has been slain by a fiend, click [iurl=http://forum.nitescifi.com/index.php?topic=9013.msg128354#msg128354]here[/iurl] to find out what happened[/glow]

** NEWS FLASH ** The quaint idyllic rural town of Niteshire needs new townsfolk, for a minuscule payment of 10 credits a property can be yours contact The Mayor by placing your name in this thread before midday GMT on Sunday.

'The remote, peaceful & isolated village of Niteshire is surrounded by hills and forests and sits on the bank of luke Lupus, this once in a lifetime opportunity will allow you and your family to relocate to a beautiful rural location to escape from the rat race. Hurry as a limited amount of properties are available and properties will be allocated on a first come first served basis. Applications must be submitted before noon GMT on Sunday 11th February.'

Rules of the game: You are each villagers in the pleasant land of NiteShire. Two of the villagers are fiends (selected randomly). Each night, at midnight, they will attack one of the other villagers. Only i know who the fiends are. The next morning the villagers will wake up to find the mauled body of their fellow townsman. panicking, the villagers must now vote on who they think one of the fiends is so that they can be banished from NiteShire (Regardless of whether you vote a fiend or fellow villager). This continues until either all the villager are gone, or both the fiends are gone.

One of the villagers is a Seer (also chosen randomly). This villager has a special power and is allowed to ask me, once after the fiends have murdered one of the villagers, whether one of the other villagers is a fiend or not.

The first round begins at night when one of the fiends sends me a PM with the name of the villager they would like to kill. I will then post in this topic who has been murdered by a fiend. I will then send a PM to the seer, asking who they want to use their power on, and then i will tell them the result. The purpose of the seer is to basically ask, "Is this person one of the fiends?!" Since no one knows who the seer is, it will be up to them to try and convince the rest of you who the fiend is.

The next round begins the following day, where the villagers will have to decide and vote on who they think is a fiend. They will get a day to decide and vote, after which time i will count the votes and remove whoever got the most votes from the game (whether the villagers were right or wrong). Villagers can change their votes up until i decide to count the votes, and discussion is encouraged, and advised since you don't want to be the one voted out! Don't let people vote for you!

Once that is done, the night round begins again and the fiends get to kill another villager. (And this the cycle repeats)

You will have to work together to survive the fiends of NiteShire![br]

Entries so far for the Second Coming(15):-

TetsuoShima(Librarian)Emptied of all his Blood

neomaster(Bar Tender) Sacrificial lamb

TFMF(Post Office General) got hammered

Hilander72(Professor of Mathematics) Avoided Justice

Bones2097(Witch Doctor) Spending a lot of time with the dead

S0V13T(Tour Guide) Donated all his blood

gathererhade(Post Master) Went to pieces

mupi(Tourist Information) Fled in a wheelchair.

Keyser Soze(Local Police Officer)

QUEENSPOCK(Doctor - General Practitioner)

NiteShdw(Pub Landlord) ran for the hills

kyran(Drug Squad) got burnt

Tablet (Professor of Archeology)

Amnot Borg (Librarian) Drove out of town

Arktis (Nurse) had to fly

<<<NiteSciFi Werewolf (First Edition) - you can read the previous werewolf game for tips, ideas and information on the game.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vampire and a werewolf?  what is this world coming to?

It occurs to me that the php to run this as a web game wouldn't be too difficult.  Then NOBODY would know who the werewolves/vampires are.  You would only need to log in,, the system will tell you if you are a werewolf, or not, track the votes, etc, and could announce the end of the game.

also i thought from the announcement that there werewolves would attack together, this would help them coordinate strategy... just a thought.

hey mupi, the names on the list already stated wanting to join on the last game before the game moved to a new thread :) yeah it could be done as a php script your right with a few possible scenarios to explain evictions and murders. as for werewolves/vampires attacking together it could happen depends on the number of villagers really. So are you in dude?

Yeah, it could be php-ized without TOO much trouble. Basiclly one would need to make a database, and assign a flag to player status attribute (wolf, seer, or villager). Whoever would be pegged as seer (either manually assigned by the admin, or randomized) would get like a drop down menu with a list of all the other player that they could use to see if player x was a wolf or not.

i just finished up a coding project, and if enough people express an interest in this kind of application, then fire away supportive PM's, and I'll see about coding something up.

The only flaw, however would be security, and privacy.  Nothing is 100% secure from someone that just HAS to know who the wolves are. Take MM stalking the "Who's Online" page for example. That was whack dude.

ps. if I do rig something up, it'll be vampire themed, damn it.

Take MM stalking the "Who's Online" page for example. That was whack dude.

ps. if I do rig something up, it'll be vampire themed, damn it.

I was getting a little paranoid myself, when S0V had a look at my profile (I admit I was browsing the User Online. But who didn't!). ;)

Yeah.  I'm an idiot.  Count me in again.  But since - according to TFMF - I would have been the last villager to survive last time, there's every chance I'll be first out this time.  :P

As for coding Sov, I'd hold off for the moment.  See if this is a goer long term or not.

That said, you could program it to randomly pick some horror - werewolves, vampires, George Dubbleya clones  ;D - and as Mega said, you only find out what it is as the game progresses.  Maybe even one vamp one wolf.

Yeah I'm in.  According to the instructions, all you have to do to be in is

"put your name below" by which I take to mean, "if you reply to this thread, you are assumed to be in"

My idea, s0v, would not be tied to any specific horror, and would be used mostly for administration. 

Basically, to be "in" you visit a specific website (vampire.nitescifi.com or whatever) and register.  At the appointed time, the administrator issues a "start game" which closes registrations.  the "game engine" then assigns a status V, H, S (villager, horror, Seer) to each player as needed (can be set up to allow multiple of any category...anyone not assigned a special category, gets "villager" by default.  Set up a CSV file, and you can define status and quantities.  for example, "Vampire, 1\n Seer,2" to have two seers.  this file will also serve to name the horror.  So one game can have vampires, one werewolves, one just plain human serial killers, and it doesn't affect the engine at all.  The best part is that you get a nice, random selection, and even the administrator doesn't know the answer, so can't give away any info.

Other categories are also possible, for example, Detectives/Inspectors or whatever, though you'd be getting into some advanced interactions (can a cop be a horror?  There's a twist...)

The storyline doesn't have to be written into the game engine, my vision is that the game engine will simply email (or if it can be tied as a plugin to the forum software, PM) the administrator with the name of the victim, and the results of the vote as of the cutoff time (which can also be configured)  If the villagers kick out the horrors, then the villagers win, and the site changes.  On loging in, everyone sees "villiagers win"; and then display as much breakdown as possible...

An interesting twist is that this allows for late arrivals, since the engine could randomly assign a status to that person, so they aren't automatically above suspicion....you'd never know.  Another interesting twist this allows for is the "expansion" of the ranks of horrors, as the attack failures can be truly random (or as close as php can come to random...)  the villagers won't know who the failed attack was, only that the attack failed, so the ranks will be expanded.  But of course, the villagers don't know if there's still 2 or 3 now, since they don't know until they vote out both horrors that they got them...so they might have got one, and now there's two, or there might be three...or four...depending on how many rounds the game goes.  Other things can be adjusted as well:  "hunger", for example, how many attacks a horror needs (with two horrors, we assume one every two days, but what if the game gets to four horrors?  shouldn't there now be TWO murders per day?  What about when there's three?  one day is one, one day is two?  The game engine can keep track of all that stuff, who's turn it is to attack, etc, and how many attacks there should be.  A horror who logs in and is not attacking gets a "you are not hungry tonight" screen, otherwise, they get a list of villagers to attack.

Villagers get a "vote screen" with a bunch of radio buttons, and can change their vote up to the cutoff time.  Game admin/mayor could be set to only get a vote in the event of a tie. (and since admin doesn't know who it is, there's no prob there.  In fact, an interesting twist would be if the mayor is a werewolf too!  made possible by this engine.  Might be difficult to run the game if you are cast out, lol)  Villagers can also see the results of voting, to see who is in the lead in votes.

But discussion can continue here (why reinvent the wheel?)  Personally, I think it would be cool if it could be written as a forum plugin, i think this would be a neat addition to lots of forums...

OK, I'm done brainstorming for the night.  If I wasn't so busy, I could write the engine framework.  I'm still willing to help as much as I can.

hehe - i only used Darth Reven because of a joke we had going on in the mod forums :D

Already changed the list so i'm TFMF.

What is it with you and vampires, S0V? Could it be that you are one?

*Points at S0V* WEREWOLF!!!! errr...i mean VAMPIRE!!!!

hehe - i only used Darth Reven because of a joke we had going on in the mod forums :D

Already changed the list so i'm TFMF.

What is it with you and vampires, S0V? Could it be that you are one?

*Points at S0V* WEREWOLF!!!! errr...i mean VAMPIRE!!!!

*notes that it isn't S0v that is on in the middle of the night...*

hmm maybe i better not take that line of reasoning too far...  ::)

it would be nice to have it written in php, but any change in rules (ex. on the 3rd game people may get bored with standard rules) would have to be coded into it each time. also, is it truely necessary? it is a game of imagination after all. the only thing that would essentially be automated, is the count. but that is not much work to do. and the assignements, which are fairly easy to randomise anyway as game admin. i don't know, i think making it an automated process would take some of the charm out of it... Mind you, I'm not opposed, i just think it's not worth the trouble, but since it won't be my trouble anyway. :D

I do think that if you do it, you have to do it right, not some half-ok attempt. whoever is going to occupy himself with it. :)

(easy comment from someone who's allready not-involved :P )

Guest Keyser Soze

I wouldn't mind joining up despite being new to the forum and not really knowing anyone yet.

Probably be a good way for me to get to know the folks here.

I wouldn't mind joining up despite being new to the forum and not really knowing anyone yet.

It's a game of treachery, dishonesty and death...

So don't make any hasty assumptions about any of us based on what is said in this thread. ;)

yeap prbably one of the best was of doing it and welcome from the battlestar galactica forum :P