Heroes 1x17 "Company Man" (spoilers)

Mav

This, was a spectacular episode.

This, is what Lost needs to be. Give us mysteries, secrets, plots, then wrap them up, temporarily solve them or at least give us good amount of hints in a short time span. They have plenty of material on the table at the moment, and a show with super heroes can basically create new stuff at will when it needs.

Little Hiro was cute, even did the adjust-the-glasses move Wink Notice he was playing an original "gray brick" style GameBoy? Nice continuity there (14 years ago was 1993, the original GB era prior to GB Pocket and GB Color)

How long until HRG and the others realize, Claire is basically indestructible? And how the fuck did they survive that? Sure Ted didn't go super nova on them but still, that had to be some huge dose of radiation poisoning.

Claire walking out of the house, awesome. Sheer awesome. Though, you'd think she'd be a tad more naked (I know, a tad pedophilish but come on, the actress is almost 18 and she's smoking hot, literally hehe...)

20 to 1 says the Simone being alive is just some dream/coma/hallucination of either Peter or Issac.

've narrowed it down to two people for Linderman; Malcolm McDowell or Sam Elliot. He appeared older, wrinkles on his neck and had white hair and a white beard.

Anyone notice the two huge plot holes here?

1) If the Haitian wasn't the one that could block powers, why the fuck couldn't Matt read HRG's mind whenever he was around before? Simply the distance of him being in the car on the stakeout? What about when he talked to him in the hospital after Peter saved Claire from Sylar? The Haitian was only right down the hall, and Matt still couldn't gleam any thoughts. So if the Haitian could block powers, why didn't he stop Ted from going super nova? If the Haitian couldn't block powers, what was stopping Matt? By the time he was trying to use his power on HRG, he had learned enough control to use it at will, so it wasn't lack of ability.

2) Maybe I missed it in past episodes, but where did Lyle come from? Tonights episode was at least the second time they tell us HRG and Ms. Bennet could not conceive children, so was Lyle also adopted? If so, did they ever tell us? (I honestly don't remember). It's just been bugging me where the hell he came from.

Ya know, after the ending of that episode, I gotta say I have no dislike of HRG. He took a bullet and had his mind wiped completely of Claire. Imagine how much memory would have to go to completely erase her? He probably won't remember Lyle, his wife, definitely not who he worked for. He did that to save Claire. For a second, I thought he was gonna turn her over, then the Haitian showed up, I knew he was setting himself up as the sacrificial scape goat. Sad ending, but a very noble gesture.

I think Bennet(HRG) had some idea for months since he saw her tapes that Claire was pretty indestructible. She can be injured but she heals quickly.

The scenes where her face is burned down to the muscle trying to get the sedative to Ted while he's burning the house down were awesome. Unless Ted was actually controlling some of his radioactive output, you are right, they all should have been puking their guts out in the yard except Claire.

I have never heard anything about Claire's brother despite his semi-regular appearances so it's a mystery how he wound up in the family but seems it would not be the first time a couple unable to have kids, adopted, then got pregnant.

The preview of Simone alive but bloody could be hallucination or she could be another healer for all we know.

Donald Sutherland would be a cool Linderman but I have no idea.

I thought at first that the Haitian was the power blocking guy but realized he couldn't be since his ability is to remove memories. There had to be someone else we don't know about.

Bennet didn't ask for ALL memories of Claire to be erased. Just the ones that would lead to her location so her safety was assured. He wouldn't want to forget a child he loved even if he never got to see her again. Seems he might not be seen so much any more though. Who knows?

If they HAD been accurate about the radiation, everyone but the guy himself and Claire would have been as good as dead at the point when he was visibly glowing, much less burning things nearby.  Other than that minor quibble, this was a great episode.

It could be that the Haitian works by causing the memory of how to use their powers to be suppressed (not erased, as he'd have to touch them to do that).  Yeah... that may be stretching, but unless Mr. Bennett is the power suppressor, there's no other explanation that I can think of.

Also... only information that would lead Mr. Bennett's superiors to find Claire were erased... not all memories of Claire herself (i.e. the stopping on the bridge, the -plan- of stopping on the bridge, the actual shooting, etc. would probably have been erased, but he's still remember everything before the hostage situation and the things during and after the situation that would suggest where Claire would be going).

Maybe the mind reading could have been blocked by thought training (i.e. keeping the mind blank, that sort of thing) as opposed to actually suppressing Matt's powers.

When Matt was abducted Mr Bennett tells him the Haitian is the reason he can't use his mental abilities. Most likely The Haitians powers only work on psychic powers like telepathy, Eden's power of persuasion or telekinesis but not on biological abilities like super healing, super strength, or emitting high levels of radiation.

About people being told they can't conceive only to have a child after adopting, it happens all the time. In fact, the same exact thing happened to a couple I know just last month.

It also makes me wonder why the Haitian didn't simply erase Bennett's boss' memory. It would have been a lot easier than running away.

I thought the same thing about the radiation issue, but radiation sickness doesn't set in immediately, does it? I thought it took a few days. There are pills you can take to combat the effects but I've no idea how effective it is.

It also makes me wonder why the Haitian didn't simply erase Bennett's boss' memory. It would have been a lot easier than running away.

I thought the same thing about the radiation issue, but radiation sickness doesn't set in immediately, does it? I thought it took a few days. There are pills you can take to combat the effects but I've no idea how effective it is.

Well to erase Bennet's boss's mind, the Haitian would have to be near him and, alive. Somethin tells me his boss wouldn't let his mind be wiped without putting up some sort of a fight.

As for radiation I always thought it depended apon the amount. Like small amounts, the kind you are exposed too for say, an x-ray aren't really lethal or make you sick (they can but that rarely happens). But Ted was basically a bomb almost ready to go off, he was putting out tons of radiation. They shoulda done more than throw up a little bit, they shoulda had skin melting off and such, especially Matt since he tried to grab Ted not once but twice.

AH! Don't tell me what happens in previews, I hate the teasers... as they're not spoilers for the episode, can you tag them please?

Let's see - comparisons to Lost are kind of insulting to the show... the flashbacks here were interesting. Unlike the banal ones that make me want to stab people from Lost... Interesting insight into the "company" and it was nice to see that they linked Takei and Hiro in again. Good bit of explanation... but with more than a little foreshadowing and such. Actually, a very much more focused episode than we're used to.

My assumption about the blocking of the cop's powers - maybe something to do with the papermill? I don't know. Maybe that's to be explained, the Haitian doesn't really fit - as his power seems to be to do with touch but I believe that every time there was the "blocked" thing, he was around. So, who knows.

To be honest, the radiation thing was hilarious... the idea of anyone buy Claire doing it was nonsense... of course - we don't know what kind of radiation he was putting out. If it was gamma radiation, they'd likely all be dead in a matter of hours but of course, we don't know what he was putting out and such. Although, in the comics it says he's capable of upto 10,000 Ci... I've no idea how much that is.

This week's comic was interesting - it pertains to the events that precipitated Claire's "adoption". On a related note, the other "company" guy was shown in some previous comics. As is Theodore's escape from custody.

OH! The actual episode... I really enjoyed it. It was a marked change from the normal juggling of multiple yarns but it gave a good insight into Bennet and some teasing for the future... and Claude. All in all, good stuff.

Maybe he was reading that guys thoughts but the Haitian was removing the memory of what he read as he got them. And that one guy got blasted on his butt by the radiation. I'm guessing if you get blasted by enough radiation to throw you you're going to be dead.

Also why didn't the needle that sedated the nuke guy melt when she was about to stick him???

And i could of swore that episode when her brother found that video, of her messing herself up in the pizza box. That they said they both were adopted.

AH! Don't tell me what happens in previews, I hate the teasers... as they're not spoilers for the episode, can you tag them please?

Eh...I guess but keep in mind the thread title always bears in mind SPOILERS, and my threads for new episodes for tv shows always include an opinion/summary/cliff note of the preview for the next episode coming up. Compromise; next episode I'll mark off the preview portion review with a large bold text spoiler warning and leave it un

tagged, that way people don't have to highlight it and you'll know it's coming up.

I was under the impression this forum rendered spoiler tags as a 'show/hide' button with no highlighting required.

Like this, see?

No muss, no fuss, no real extra effort to read if you want to read it, and no complaints.

<- agrees with Tenebrae... I always stop watching before the previews on all shows I watch because they tend to spoil things next week.  Well, -almost- all.  I can't seem to help it with Doctor Who.

<- agrees again with Tenebrae.  Radiation doesn't knock people back... but the means of generation may do so.  (i.e. radiation has nothing to do with the explosive force of nuclear weapons... that's purely a result of generating massive amounts of energy in the form of heat.  It's the small remainder of non-heat energy that ends up being radiation.)  If the guy really did only create radiation, he'd act like a neutron bomb... invisible, but lethal to all nearby living things (i.e. like the graveyard scene earlier in the series, as opposed to his flashy-flashy stunt in the house.)

I think the creators of the show are letting their ignorance of how radiation works really show itself with that guy... What ever happened to good research?

Then again... it's all electromagnetic, so maybe he was emitting gamma in the graveyard, but rendering it mostly as thermal and visual in the house?

How do you do research for a radioactive man though? There's never been one before. He isn't radioactive all the time, only when he gets upset. In reality, you can't just "turn off" radiation. That by itself implies that whatever he's emitting is something new and unique.

You don't need to know about how 'radiation men' work to understand radiation.  Also, now that I think of it... I think he's not so much a radiation man but an electromagnetic radiation man capable of emitting hard radiation, light, AND heat (as they're all basically the same thing).  That makes what he did in the house, and the subsequent survival of the family, plausible... he was focusing on heat and light, and so wasn't irradiating everyone to hell like he did in the graveyard.

i.e. they DID do their research, and he's more than just a guy who throws out the sort of 'radiation' most people think of when they hear that word.  (i.e. not 'radiation' in the nuclear sense, but 'radiation' in the electromagnetic sense, as varying frequencies and intensities of photons).

[nonspoiler]What is the big deal? The stargates and Dr. Who forums routinely mention spoiler material as the episode has been shown somewhere or people wouldn't know about it.[/nonspoiler]

I enjoy reading about things I may never get to see. It's not so much a spoiler as information.

Heroes is actually a show I can watch without paying a cable bill. Hurrah for me.[br]Posted on: February 28, 2007, 01:38:57 PM

i.e. they DID do their research, and he's more than just a guy who throws out the sort of 'radiation' most people think of when they hear that word.  (i.e. not 'radiation' in the nuclear sense, but 'radiation' in the electromagnetic sense, as varying frequencies and intensities of photons).

sounds logically and rationally put... well done.