Stargate Universe

x5315

Further developments:

Universe deals with ninth chevron

Saturday - March 24, 2007 | by Darren Sumner

The working concept for the third Stargate television series includes the Stargate's ninth chevron, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told fans today. Cooper appeared on stage in front of 500 fans at Creation's Official Stargate SG-1 / Stargate Atlantis Convention in Vancouver, British Columbia.

"It plays a major factor in the third series," Cooper said in response to a fan's question about the significance of the ninth chevron. "So that question is answered!"

Fans have long wondered why the ninth and final chevron was created by the Ancients, since normal gate addresses only utilize seven of them. The eighth chevron adds an extra distance calculation, allowing the team to establish a stable wormhole to a Stargate in another galaxy. It was first used in SG-1 Season Two's "The Fifth Race."

Cooper also said that the third series "is very active in development. MGM is currently putting financing together. The goal is to have it out in the marketplace in early 2008, which means that we have to start writing very soon. The hold-up has really been the movies -- Brad and I are busy. When we are done with Continuum and Ark of Truth we're going to turn our attention to that pretty seriously."

Whatever form the series takes, viewers can definitely expect the same familiar from that has made the franchise a 10-year-old success. "There will be a Stargate, and a team on adventures," Cooper said. "I can tell you what it won't be, which is it really won't be as much of a spin-off of SG-1 as Atlantis was. And it won't be a spin-off of Atlantis. It's going to be a third arm of the franchise that will really stand alone and I think be an entirely new flavor from what we've done before."

GateWorld

Mod Note: Information has already been posted in the Stargate news thread

Admin Note: Who cares! It needs it's own topic anyway! :P

Back on topic, this sounds really exciting. I think we already guessed that the new SG-Team would be going to a different universe, but i still think this could be interesting. :)

When did they introduce the concept of a ninth chevron? I must have missed that episode.

count the chevrons on a stargate, i've had this convo with TFMF about the 9th chevron and how although its there is never used

Is a chevron the name for the lights on the Stargate? I always assumed that chevron was another name for the constellation glyphs. To tell the truth, I've never really put much thought into how the stargate actually works.

Chevrons are pointed symbols: example >, other example <, other other example ^.

There are 39 symbols on the Gate's inner ring representing 39 of the major constellations in the Milky Way Galaxy. Six symbols are needed to pinpoint a planet's position in three-dimensional space, and a seventh symbol is needed to plot a course to that point. Over time, the expanding universe model has rendered many Stargates useless as that their coordinates have shifted over time. This kind of planetary shift is calculated by SGC super-computers. Each gate has nine locking Chevrons that glow red when engaged on a symbol. (Although they did not glow in the film, they do in the series.) Although normally only 7 Chevrons are used, the 8th and 9th can be used to dial outside of our galaxy. (Episode: The Fifth Race.)
as quoted from here.

I guess I never counted the chevrons before but now that I have I can see how the 8th and 9th would be easily overlooked. Unless it's a spacegate or laying flat upon the ground, the 8th and 9th are generally hidden by the ramp.