Dr Who S29 E01 - Smith & Jones

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 1 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome. This thread will be opened immediately after the episode airs (19:45PM GMT).

Official Synopsis - The Doctor faces the dreaded Judoon, intergalactic alien stormtroopers who have transported a hospital to the moon... including the young Martha Jones.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok everyone, episode 1 has just finished so lets hear your thoughts. Ill kick off. Its almost human nature to compare to previous series openers and on the whole it was pretty standard (good standard as opposed to bad) for an opener. It seemed to be over way too fast though, after all the waiting and waiting :) Interesting use of time travel at the beginning and end of the episode, I liked that although Id be more convinced if he went forward and got next weeks lottery numbers.

Effects wise it was pretty good, no wobbly sets as such and cardboard spaceships, although the Judoon ships didnt take much thought really, "Oh lets make them flashlight shaped so we can merchandise them for the kids!" Speaking of merchandise, Im sure it wont be long before we see a Martha & Judoon doll (if we havent already).

The straw LOL, thats all Ill say, nice touch. It could have been some higher alien technology or something, absorbing through touch even, but no, a straw! hehe, typical RTD humour again! Same goes for the Judoon 'marker pens' ya just had to laugh!

Not sure if the USA etc will get the 'Planet Zovyrax' line but I kinda chuckled at that too.

I think Martha will do ok, cant really comment on 1 episode but so far so good! Its her dysfunctional family that worries me, anothe excuse to keep the show on earth a lot!

This years

Bad Wolf looks set to be 'Saxon'

and we had 1 audio and one (or more) visual references to it already!

Im sure I can think of more things to say once I watch it again, but so far just 7/10 for me, I was hoping for more from the Judoon and the main enemy wasnt bad enough, no reasons for its actions apart from what you can assume from what you see! Oh and the Rhino face looked far too rubbery, CGI enhancement would have helped or more effort in the latex dept. :)

Over to you!

I thought that was a good way to kick things off, wasn't brilliant, well...not in the way that a good Dr. Who episode tends to be, but it'll do me!

Ooooh and I thought for a moment the Sontarans might have been back, not quite as I expected, but nifty.

i too thought this could be the Sontarans overall it was a great start. the ref to her cousin who worked at canary wharf was a good way to get round the 'hold on haven't i seen you before' possible scenarios. I liked it more than i expected tbh and would give it 8/10. yeah it was over to quick :) always is, they need to do more 2 parters i say :) next weeks looks interesting but yes its earth again. was good to be off earth for once but most of the time you couldn't tell they was on the moon. will have to watch this one again

I thought this was a great way to start the season. Like most Doctor Who episodes, it was funny, exciting and original.

Martha seemed to make a good companion. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

RIP: Sonic Screwdriver.  Again.  Enter... Mark IV!

Yeah, it was an interesting start to a new season with a plot that actually didn't have holes in it. ^^

Edit: I'm not sure I'll like the next episode that much, but that's just personal preference about many pseudo-historic episodes in general. ^^'

Edit: I'm not sure I'll like the next episode that much' date=' but that's just personal preference about many pseudo-historic episodes in general.[/quote']

That was my first impression too. It seems like it will be much like Tooth and Claw or The Unquiet Dead. However, that doesn't mean it will be bad. Girl in the Fireplace looked similar to such episodes, but it turned out to be my favourite episode in the entire series.

Actually I think the historic episodes are normally and work quite well and normally well written I always have liked the Unquiet Dead (one of my favs), Girl In the Fire Place (this one as well) and even Tooth & Claw.

This episode is really about a introductory to Martha, which I was always expecting TBH, Not to mention there was some funny points to it, in all not a bad opener, was way better than the episode in series 1 episode 1 "Rose".

I enjoyed it a lot, thanks to Martha (both of them ;)).

lol what do you mean both of them lol. I am confuzed lol. hope you aren't referring to her glands by that comment lol

No, the other 'Martha' he is refering to is somewhat crazier.

It was interesting and when it got going, it was quite frenetic but the Doctor being so emo about Billy is a bit irksome.

Also - the Doctor showed the Time Lords are made of sterner stuff than you average humanoid. Getting a load of radiation AND having his blood drunk by a plasmavore and ne'er a regeneration in sight. That was kind of cool.

The Jadoon were interesting - noticeable similarities to the Sonatarans (wiki was ALL over that) and notice how only one removed his helmet! I guess they blew the budget on the cool look spaceships.

I think the Judoon are a cross between Sontarans & Ogrons, hired thugs who like to wear battle armour! :) Would be nice if we saw them again in some future story, an enemy for the Doctor as opposed to being just a police force looking for a criminal as they were in S&J, they look like they could be quite formidable. It was a bit strange that he didnt regenerate after taking that 'beating' but I suppose thats why he backed himself up with the 'genetic transfer' kiss!

I'd like to see the Judoon again too - I'm sure that the guy that was doing the voice is familiar to me, ah bit of a regular on Dr. Who... Anyway, I'd like to see the Judoon again but I don't really see them as being good enemies for the Doctor... well, except maybe as minions. Galactic thugs doesn't exactly make them a threat.

Unless of course theyre 'hired' by someone :) The Daleks and The Master both hired the use of Ogrons, we dont know yet if they are a regulated 'police' force or just thugs for hire!

The voice was Nick Briggs, is he the only voice actor theyve got, he does Daleks & Cybermen, now Judoon. Dont get me wrong, hes good, but surely adding other voice actors would add a bit of variety or doesnt he want to share his ring modulator! :)