[Poll] If you had web hosting space...

If you had, say, 200-500MB of storage space on a web-server,  and perhaps 10GB of bandwidth a month, what would you do with it?

Would you host your websites and pages on it?

Would you use it to dump files for others to download (legal of course...)

Would you just like to try and see what you can do with it?

For example, when i first approached NiteShdw last year about getting some web space on his server, i hadn't the faintest idea what to do with it. I just generally wanted to help him out. However, i soon found that i could do a lot. I set up my own forum and started experimenting with HTML and even a bit of PHP.

So what would you do with your little space on the internet?

yeah hosting space is great for learning, as you know i use my space for development. initially i planned on doing a website to showcase my software but having space allows you to experiment. I knew limited PHP before having a site and from messing about with things i now know a lot more and wonder why i ever went down the purely html route with websites (i did do some DHTML sites a few years ago using ActiveX but people are so suspicious about activeX and php (or ASP for that matter) allow the same versatility without the nastiness of having your end user download a plugin that they don't know if they should trust, tbh tho i could damage a computer equally as easily using php than i could using ActiveX but end users are stubborn timorous creatures.

I voted for the development option but i also would say the other options are also true as i have a web page front end and given space would host images (i use imageshack but it would have extra kudos to use my own website for it) and the other option well yeah chat rooms forums and game hosting are also things i would do or have done.

• 1 year later...

i started my own site but just to try to see what i can do.

i 2 games on it right now

timewars aka deadzone

empire of time aka aatraders

tried a few forums

a few blogs

an online course software.

a gallery

will like to get my deal or no deal game on it, but got sided-tracked over the christmas season

i am out of ideas for my site.

if anybody has an idea, let me know.

i will try to right it.

I voted file dumps.. I would most likely experiment first then try and develop an easy to use system for user interaction and get members uploading things they've made or found. They could have a related forum post about what they uploaded.. I think that would be really cool.