Dr Who S3-E05 Evolution Of The Daleks (2 of 2)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 5 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome. This thread will be opened immediately before or just after the episode airs (19:30PM GMT).

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is on at a special earlier time of 18:45 PM (GMT) and is Part Two of a 2 part adventure.[/glow]

Official Synopsis - The Cult of Skaro's plan is in full force. Dalek Sec is reborn in human form while the Pig Slaves are launching an enormous assault upon the Central Park Hooverville, along with the remaining pure Daleks of the Cult of Skaro. The Doctor, Martha, Soloman and the others must stay and fight. However time is running out, for the future of the human race and Dalek race alike, is being decided underneath the Empire State Building, and will the Doctor cope with joining an unholy alliance?

I can just see the future story title now..'The Wrath of Caan' :)

Ill put money on it at least being used in a headline somewhere! lol

Yes, overall, together as 1 big story this two parter was quite entertaining, I still think they should have reverberated Sec's voice a bit, he wasnt sinister enough with the plain human voice. And I was a bit concerned at the Doctors

almost death-wish approach these days, several times, not just tonight hes offered to sacrifice himself.

Youd think after learning that hes 'not alone' hed be more careful about looking after himself, and why didnt he regenerate after taking a dose of lightning, but then again, he mentioned in Smith n Jones that he also took a bolt of lightning before when he flew a kite with Benjamin Franklin.

I hope they stayed around to clean up all those Dalek Tommy Guns or the future of combat on Earth just might change lol.

It was different, Ill tell ya that, still enjoyable, next weeks trailer looks sweet too, but then again, they always do!

8/10 overall

Now I gotta run through it againto look for cover screen shots. :)

Better than last weeks.

Though a few minor, questions slash issues;

The Doctor, or a Timelord really, can survive a lightning bolt? I mean yea we know he can chew and spit out all kinds of radiation, usually by dancing but that's a lot of energy to just absorb suddenly.

Him dropping his Sonic Screwdriver, is it just me or does this seem like a subtle plot device to show he mentally he just keeps seeing himself lose Rose by the grip of his fingers?

I didn't believe the whole Human/Dalek hybrid stuff, though the other 3 from the Cult of Skaro turning on him was nice, saw it coming but it was nice.

And we all knew, we knew, the last one left standing, would "emergency time shift" at the last second.

The Doctor could stop Pig Dude from dying, but he couldn't revert the physical disorders? That mighta passed off during the Depression Era in America, when not so many questions were asked but what about later down the road?

Tonight was the second hint that Martha really digs / is almost in love with The Doctor. Am I the only one that thinks this is too soon? Sure, being the Doctor I'd expect women (and men who care to) swoon over him but come on, so soon with a brand new companion? Unless she's not going a 3-4 season stretch why bother rushing it?

Overall much better than last weeks, I got some awesome screen caps;

http://mav.nitescifi.com/vlcsnap-5926084.png

http://mav.nitescifi.com/vlcsnap-5926423.png

http://mav.nitescifi.com/vlcsnap-5926866.png

http://mav.nitescifi.com/vlcsnap-5928327.png

Oh yes, I finally got some great caps of the really frakking pissed off Doctor ;)

Heya Mav, thats pretty much the pose of the Doctor Im gonna use on my latest cover..great minds and all that :)

I liked it when the 2 Daleks in the sewer were conspiring against Sec and the other one turned his head to see if hes being watched before answering 'affirmative', that was hilarious!

Also the steady-cam attached to the front of the Dalek trundling through the sewers pursuing the Doctor & Co. was a nice touch!

Im willing to forgive the little plot-holes here and there for the sake of a good story so long as it doesnt get too silly! The love thing with Martha, hmm not sure where thats going, in the first episode she made it clear shes not interested yet ever since shes being having mild-strong hissy fits over certain scenarios that she thinks shes being a replacement for Rose or she keeps wondering/having conversations with others about whether the Doctor really likes her...jeez we never had these problems with Jo Grant, Sarah Jane, Adric etc.

Ok the Adric comment was a joke, but you know what I mean LOL

Well i thought this episode was much better than last weeks. The saved the story from last weeks disaster.

It was quite predictable that the Human Dalek would be rejected by the Daleks, but it was nice to see when the Daleks deceived him behind his back - very similar to Davros's downfall in Genesis of the Daleks.

It was exciting to see the Daleks back in power and using their Dalek army's to take over the earth (but failing).

And may i just say, i LOVE these words:

Emergency Temporal Shift!

;D

In my opinion it was one of the worst Dalek episodes in the past 3 serieses.   They could have had more 'action' in it and they could have made sec's voice more daleky when he was half human. I am not saying it was the worst episode ever but they could have made it so much better.

Are you basing your opinion on THIS episode, or this story (as in last weeks and this weeks episode)? In my opinion, last weeks episode was the worst of this season (but not of the last 3 seasons), but this weeks was much better.

i meant that this dalek story (as in these two episodes) was the worst dalek story of the past three serieses because of the reasons i mensioned above :D

In that case, i'd definitely agree with you.

I've always marvelled at the ability of the Daleks to emote - it's quite impressive given their lack of distinguishable features.

Also - am I the only person who kept thinking "Dalek Sec has 6 penises on his head." Not to mention the whole bondage thing when the other Daleks had him on his knees in chains... that's going to warp some kiddies.

To be fair, the Doctor wasn't DIRECTLY hit by lightening... he was just holding onto a pole conducting it. While wearing clothes... eh, whatcha gonna do, eh?

Am I the only person that thought the Daleks rate of fire in the theatre was laughable? At least they actually got blown up... they'd made the Daleks rather TOO indestructible.

Tenebrae, you're the only one who thinks a lot of things, but yes, quite right, the Daleks rate of fire seriously diminished in that battle. Earlier in Doomsday, we saw them spinning crazily to take out the cybermen. We can use the excuse that the Dalek weapons being used against them confused them. meh.

One Dalek left? That sucks...

Naaaah, itll never happen, theyll be back one way or another! Ya cant out-guess RTD!

Yes, one Dalek...as opposed to four which they had previously....what a loss....

Anyway, we should not lose sight of the fact there is a large army of Daleks still inside the Void... ::)

The 'Beauty and The Beast' angle between the showgirl and her all-pork beau weren't overdone.

I liked the crazy sewer set, looked genuinely damp and scary.

As for the Moreau'ed warrior swine I also wanted to see other laboratory mammals used as downgrade templates for kidnapped Depression era Dalek fodder. An army of White Rabbits?  B)