Full metal alchemist

QUEENSPOCK

I have to agree.

I did wish they stayed together. Althouth I did like how in the movie they tried to have the story running along side the historical story of Germany.

I think the ending was perfectly suited to the whole alchemical theme of equivalent exchange.  The problems were solved... for a price, and that price was them getting separated. 

I haven't seen the movie, unfortunately... but I look forward to fixing that deficiency and read through the manga when I have a chance to see what's different. ^^

Given that the manga's still going on and the anime isn't, I'd say that it continues past where the series ended. ^^'

... also, given that the manga's 70 chapters, I have to wonder how much of the anime is filler...

• 2 months later...

Well... the anime veers off half way through, but since the manga is ongoing 'halfway' doesn't really apply... and a few of the Homunculi are totally different or given different sins in the anime:

Lust, Gluttony, Envy (anime) = Lust, Gluttony, Envy (manga)

Sloth (anime) = liquid manipulating homunculus, nonexistant in manga.

Sloth (manga) = insanely huge and strong guy, rather stupid... nonexistant in anime

Greed (anime) = Greed (manga).

Wrath (anime) = nonexistant (manga)

Pride (anime) = Wrath (manga)

Pride (manga) = nonexistant (anime)

... of course, that's understandable given the anime finished before many of the later homunculi were introduced in the manga.  Basically... about halfway through the anime, it becomes it's own story.

Edit: Also, the reason why homunculi were hard to kill differs between anime and manga (I think... it's been a while since I saw the anime), and unlike in the anime, the manga's homunculi weren't created by failed human transmutations.

I liked both versions.  The manga version has more of a central theme, and both Elric brothers end up being able to do the 'no drawn circle' alchemy (after all, they both saw the Door...) but the anime made better use of Edward's lost limbs.

The background in the manga is definitely a lot more complicated than that of the anime, but I liked the origin of the Homunculi in the anime better than that of the manga.  They both have strong stories, and I strongly recommend watching / reading them both. ^^

The anime is also a lot lighter in theme than the manga (which focuses more on the Ishvalan Genocide and the horrors most of the State Alchemists were ordered to do, and has few of the funny side stories they add into the anime).

For instance, in the manga, Armstrong fled from the battlefield, crying and weeping at the horror of the Ishvalan men, women, and children being massacred... but that also shows how nice a guy he was.  Mustang and Hawkeye, on the other hand...

Did the anime really deal with the issue of war crimes and soldiers doing horrible things because they were ordered to?  I don't seem to remember a lot of that in the anime other than when talking about Zolf Kimblee's background (i.e. the 'Crimson Alchemist' that make big explosions. ^^)

FMA was/is a great series in both the manga and the anime.

The movie was rather depressing, though.  But seeing Al with a body for me was like having a wish fulfilled.

I remember the first time I heard Alphonse's voice coming out of the armor.  ::) My jaw nearly hit the floor.

• 2 weeks later...