Star Trek - The Incredible Morphing Continuity Train... of DOOM!

GorunNova

Well, I decided to watch through both Star Trek : The Next Generation and DS-9 of late in one long (if intermittent) marathon, and I've noticed a few things about Klingons and the Borg... namely, that they're walking, talking, running examples of horribly maintained continuity.

Klingons:

Initially (start of TNG):

- Death ritual of screaming to notify the afterlife that somebody's coming.

- Dead bodies = unimportant carcasses.

- Marriage = sex, a couple of phrases, and *poof*!  Married!

Eventually (end of DS9):

- Elaborate death rituals 'to keep away the predators' from what was considered unimportant not that long ago.

- Elaborate marriage rituals involving batliffs, etc.

- Kalis this, Kalis that, Kalis all over the place!

- No more screaming over Klingon bodies.

The Borg:

Initially:

- Assimilates civilizations, not individuals (from a direct quote!).

- Could care less about individual people, killing them. (Guinan mentioned this bunches of times).

- Are a distinct race, with breeding chambers, etc.

- A purely collective race, only assimilating Picard as a 'mouthpiece'.  Assimilation process took days, and required lots of machines to physically replace parts.

Eventually:

- Assimilates all people encountered, and not just technology or civilizations.

- Has a ... queen?!  So much for redundant collectivism.

- Assimilation went from multiple machines and a lot of time (cyberman-like) to two tubes.  Two tube pricks, and a drone is born!

... and those two aren't the only examples of constantly morphing continuity.  Feel free to list other examples of this sort of thing! ^^

You missed out...

Ferengis:

Start of TNG:

Aggressive, menacing, a credible military threat

By DS9:

Comical, overblown, cowardly, pervy, interstellar Dell Boys (dodgy dealers)

Hell by the time DS9 rolled around they seemed to have disavowed the notion that they'd ever been a military force... which seems pretty stupid as Damon was clearly a military rank... yet they showed the mercenary Ferengi to be something of an aberration.

Trills were also changed considerably from their original incarnation in TNG...

They're shown to be unable to use transporters, their dual nature was concealed, they weren't part of the Federation...

Come DS9 - they'd gained the spots, it seemed like they'd been in the Federation for some time (given Sisko's friendship with Kurzon) and no transporter allergy in sight.

Just check out the neverending "canon" debates on "memory alpha" - basically Star Trek didn't create a coherent universe, it's more like a gigantic blob. Technical Manuals contradict books, TAS contradicts TOS and ENT contradicts pretty much everything else (for instance).

Don't even start with the timeline ...

Guest c4evap

SNIPPET:

You missed out...

Ferengis:

Start of TNG:

Aggressive, menacing, a credible military threat

You forgot to mention...they acted like monkeys as well. Waving their arms around and such.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

- A purely collective race, only assimilating Picard as a 'mouthpiece'.

After seeing that episode a few more times, it dawned on me,  why did they need to specially assimilate someone just to say  "You will be assimilated, resistance is futile"?  They also did the same thing to a Ferengi. I can't remember which series. DS9 I think.

What about the continuity of the TNG, DS9, and VOY uniforms? Sometimes they wore 1 piece tops and sometimes 2 piece. 1 part of the 2 piece was grey and they had a jacket or something over that that was the appropriate department color. They seemed to be interchangeable. Some episodes they wore 1 and some the other. Although, according to this page, TNG had the 1 piece in seasons 1 and 2 then in the 3rd season the went to the 2 piece and DS9 and VOY always had the 2 piece. I've seen so many episodes and out of order, so I could very well be wrong.

Apparently there was also a reverse version of the 2 piece. Like what Picard is wearing here:gamer981uo2.jpg I remember this too but forgot about it until I saw this.

• 3 weeks later...

The TNG style one piece got scrapped because the actors all hated it and said it was damaging their spines. Much like the skants and mini-skirts, they got scrapped post haste and were never seen again.

Looking at the ol' wiki, I'm (somewhat surprised) to see that DS9 and Voyager started within 2 years of one another. So, for both of them to start out with the same uniform made sense. TNG would have been incongruous though... it's best not trying to reconcile these things... it's impossible to do it without resorting to cop out explanations... and of course, you'd spend forever wondering why they crossed the colours for command and security/engineering.