retro gaming - the 8 bit & 16 bit days (aint we showing our age!!)

Ulysses

I was having a chat the other day with one of my mates, we was messing about in utube looking for all the games we used to love and play and we finally agreed the two we loved most on our C64 back in the late 80's where the following 2 titles.

Paradriod I would say was and still is my all time fav!! even now!!

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/html/paradroid.html

[yt=425,350]1rX-F0qWTys[/yt]

http://homepages.tesco.net/~parsonsp/html/delta.html

[yt=425,350]QZP8UeTNC_A[/yt]

It is amazing how gaming has come along but to be honest the gameplay still cant beat the 8 bit days!!

Please post your fav old classics!!

ah yes the 8 bit days. well i prefer to go back further to the ZX Spectrum and my all time fav game Manic Miner. the unusual script the game used for sound effects was light years ahead of its time (the speaker like in a pc produced fixed frequency square wave pulses to create sound. Manic Miner used altering mark-space ratios to produce an almost polyphonic sound, kind of similar to pwm (pulse width modulation) the gameplay too was superb. i managed to finish this game back in the day lol my fingers aint whatthey used to be lol.

[yt=425,350]xC_Ag4tRE-0[/yt]

ps. gotta love the toilets :P

well I was always in the C64 camp, loved slagging spectrum owners off at school and whacking them with a copy of Zzap 64 over the head

heres another impossible mission.. first speech in a game i think

[yt=425,350]PrViE9zT1wg[/yt]

One of my Favorites... ;D (ELITE)

This brings back all of good memories and a "bad one". Me and my little bro fighting for turns to play a dozen times a day, driving mom insane and one day she "lost it" and took the C64 and smashed it with a hammer. :(

She felt guilty for days and there was only one thing she could do... She bought us an Amiga and ended up with every darn kid in the neighborhood playing games in her living room... :D

Others worth mentioning are these:

Arkanoid

Wizball

International Karate

Yie Are Kung-Fu

Pirates

Red Storm Rising

Delta

Uridium

Some less know favorites of mine:

Pool of Radiance

Curse of the Azure Bonds

Secret of the Silver Blades

Pools of Darkness

Pool of Twilight

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor

lol i moved from spectrum to bbc micro cuz of this game

[yt=425,350]AuvbZpH1QuE[/yt]

OH man Elite!! i was crap at docking on this until i got the docking computer!! never did make it to Elite status...I think the closest thing to this now is X2 the threat

wizball..........

[yt=425,350]YlDTKH7_bZ4[/yt]

geff crammonds revs...........

[yt=425,350]ApStQGsTD0c[/yt]

commando...........

[yt=425,350]hDAhixO2t5w[/yt]

[br]Posted on: May 24, 2007, 08:16:56 AM

just listen to wizball ...i bet you never heard the spectrum or amstrad play such great tunes back in the 80's as well as this...........

[yt=425,350]l4OnBfPqvMM[/yt]

great computer composers like Rob Hubbard and Galway...gr8s of the c64 music programmers....

Thalmaus's sanxion loader tune was cool as well.... Apocolapse and parallax also!!

[br]Posted on: May 24, 2007, 09:18:32 AM

the medeival version of master of magic is cool....so is the zoids theme!!

lol lots of c64 users here! i wonder how many of you could actually program it lol and with a processor 3.5 times slower than the spectrums it has to be the worlds best advertised computer but definately not the best computer of the time. oh yeah and how much memory does it have? i seem to remember it being under 40k. oh and don't get me started on the colours lol they were pastels not colours lol. tbh other than the sound and the ability to have 4 colours in a character space (compared to 2 that the spectrum used) the c64 sucked.

Heres another spectrum classic i found on you tube Atic Atak this is fast and from 1983 puts many c64 games to shame ;) this is a complete walkthrough of the game lol i never finished it at the time i must add.

[yt=425,350]klc0TtDrWYk[/yt]

what about this on the spectrum 128 not a game true but windows 3.1 lol

[yt=425,350]5SMRRmaIzgE[/yt]

Megalith now you have just declared 8-bit computer war lol

Actually yeah I did do some programing on my C64 mainly trying to do music but using the manual to learn how to do basic was hard and after afew tunes i gave up (I couldnt figure out how to fade a note)

Anyway back to the spectrum, it looked terrible, typing on it was aweful with the rubber keyboard, the sound sounded like a child had programmed it (fond memorys of bashing speccy owners at school  about is crap sound and crappy keyboard) mono-chrome graphics

The C64 had a proper keyboard, the amazingly good SiD chip and its increased memory of 64k, graphically the C64 could display more COLOURS than the Speccy.

While the processor in a speccy was probably better sinclair did not get the best out of it with limited sound and graphics hence why the C64 was crowned as king of the 8-bit home computers

[br]Posted on: May 25, 2007, 09:26:07 PM

C64 Specs

Specifications

Internal hardware

* Microprocessor CPU:

o MOS Technology 6510/8500 (the 6510/8500 being a modified 6502 with an integrated 6-bit I/O port)

o Clock speed: 1.023 MHz (NTSC) or 0.985 MHz (PAL)

* Video: MOS Technology VIC-II 6567/8567 (NTSC), 6569/8569 (PAL)

o 16 colors

o Text mode: 40×25 characters; 256 user-defined chars (8×8 pixels, or 4×8 in multicolor mode); 4-bit color RAM defines foreground color

o Bitmap modes: 320×200 (2 colors in each 8×8 block), 160×200 (3 colors plus background in each 4×8 block)

o 8 hardware sprites of 24×21 pixels (12×21 in multicolor mode)

o Smooth scrolling, raster interrupts

* Sound: MOS Technology 6581/8580 SID

o 3-channel synthesizer with programmable ADSR envelope

o 8 octaves

o 4 waveforms: triangle, sawtooth, variable pulse, noise

o Oscillator synchronization, ring modulation

o Programmable filter: high pass, low pass, band pass, notch filter

* RAM:

o 64 KB (65,536 bytes), of which 38 KB minus 1 byte (38,911 bytes) were available for BASIC programs

o 512 bytes color RAM

o Expandable to 320 KB with Commodore 1764 256 KB RAM Expansion Unit (REU); although only 64 KB directly accessible; REU mostly intended for GEOS. REUs of 128 KB and 512 KB, originally designed for the C128, were also available, but required the user to buy a stronger power supply from some third party supplier; with the 1764 this was included. Creative Micro Designs also produced a 2 MB REU for the C64 and C128, called the 1750 XL. The technology actually supported up to 16 MB, but 2 MB was the biggest one officially made. Expansions of up to 16 MB were also possible via the CMD SuperCPU.

* ROM:

o 20 KB (9 KB BASIC 2.0; 7 KB KERNAL; 4 KB character generator, providing two 2 KB character sets)

hehehe gotta love the old c64 spectrum wars :) but yeah lookin at them specs the C64 used 7k ROM + 26K RAM to allow basic whereas the spectrum used 16K ROM to do the whole thing and left 48k for the software. one of the best ones to show how poor the C64 was (as a home programming tool) is this code

10 DIM A$(40000): PRINT A$

which wont run on a C64 (out of memory) in fact the problem is worse as this wont work either

10 DIM A$(257): PRINT A$

C64 is limited to strings of 256 bytes.

also it didn't have the line command and the Circle command making the spectrum infinitely more useful for writing simple programs to display graphs.

Essentially the Spectrum is an extended Calculator whereas the C64 is an extended Binatone home entertainment system.

what the differences really come down to is for what purpose you want the Computer. If its for Drawing graphs and learning to program in basic the spectrum wins hands down no contest tbh but if you want a games machine the C64 is better.

The keyboard on the spectrum is one of those things that if you use it you find it is faster to code with (the spaces between keys is less lol) but you could buy a full sized clickable keyboard anyway as you could also get a myriad of expansion units including the Spectrum Equivelant of a Hard drive (the microdrive) which was twice as fast to upload code as the equivalent C64 product.

As for sound yep you could get several expansions for the spectrum sound that allowed the programmer to create multitrack (adsl etc) music some also provided stereo lol. of course by the time the spectrum +2 came out it had polyphonic sound produced with an internal audio processor.

TBH the biggest and probably only drawback is that the spectrum had the 2 colours per character limitation which on the C64 was 4

Also the addons for the spectrum where cheap. most C64 users couldnt afford the addons.

the Z80 processor also has 16 bit registers (6502 has 8 bit only)

but as this is a thread about gaming the spectrum does struggle to compete in terms of sound and graphics but it wins any time with performance.

Back in 82 i was more interested in writing my own software tho tbh.

Don't anyone forget though around this time both sega and nintendo were releasing their first 8-bit consoles that would later lead to the sega v nintendo war (which nintendo won :()

hell yeah but tbh the nintendo sega war was a good few years later than the C64 Spectrum war, none the less this was an equally important part of the history of home computer/entertainment systems. On this one the Dreamcast had better graphics/sound than anything else on the market until the release of the PS2 (but in some respects  it is still a better machine lol)

Actually I think the Commodore Amiga did win the war, as we had the A500, A600 and the A1200 AGA.  Thou the Atari ST did have better sound chip inside it than the amiga....oh yeah and there was the ill fated CDTV

If memory serves me correctly, commodores european operations such as the C16, C64 and the amiga range was profitable sadly thou commodores business wing forced the company into going bust