HDD recorders with computer interface?

slug

I've been interested in getting one of these all in one digital tuner/dvd recorder/ hdd recorder/ HDMI devices in the interests of watching/archiving TV and cutting out the dodgy composite video analog element you get with dvd recorder/freeview box set up.

Oh yeh, the disadvantage of just capturing everything on the digital tuner on the PC is that using any other app disrupts the recording etc.

But it occurs to me that most of the features are unnecesary, when all you really want is a standard digital tuner  PVR that you can also use as an external hardrive to archive off/edit via PC and watch in decent quality via the computer.

I know that generally PVR's use some batty file system that is not NTFS or FAT32 and cannot be read by PC.

But has anyone seen anything like this? I'd pay good money!

A faster computer

lol

I use a pvr150

to record dr who cos i'm always out when it's on

gets a perfect picture every time

I suppose that means getting a computer to do just that and nothing else :)

but i bet thats cheaper than something dedicated

I know that generally PVR's use some batty file system that is not NTFS or FAT32 and cannot be read by PC.

But has anyone seen anything like this? I'd pay good money!

I heard that PVRs use a stripped down version of linux (like most routers and other computer-based hardware), so most likely it will use ext2/3 or reiserFS as a file system. If you got a free partition, you could try to install a distro (all of them support ext file systems, and most support reiserFS) and see if you can hook up to the PVR through Linux...

though in most cases you will get a set of drivers for use with the PVR.

Also, it's a good idea to see if the PVR converts the recorded movie/ episode to divx, xvid or something else, if it has that option, turn it on, because you generally get more room for more episodes.

Yeh. However the idea of running 2 computers seems a bit excessive.

I suppose thats means the nine computers in this house is way ovet the top ?

we have one just for the tv (not for the tv to play with) so we can watch stuff on the BIG screen