Entire cast interchangeable?

Mav

So, I started watching Torchwood on a whim. I didn't hear totally positive reviews when it first aired, I figured I'd just wait for it to come over the pond. Well it's been almost a year since the premiere aired (Octorber 06) and we have yet to have any word about it airing in America (whereas Season 29 of Doctor Who starts this week, having just finished last week in the UK)

Anyways I'm watching it online, and I got a question; is the entire cast basically interchangeable sexually? I don't mind the sexual stuff, hell I really love how it's a more adult science fiction show. I love profanity, love it. But this struck me strange.

Obviously by the end of the season, every cast member has had a kiss or encounter with the same sex, even if they don't stick with it. Now I know Jack's always been a guy to play both sides of the game but it just seems like everyone else is doing it "just cause". Like Tosh being all attracted to Mary? At first she was into it then not long after she really wasn't that keen on it, it just seemed like the writers wanted it to happen so it did.

Beyond that, really loving it. Love how it's centered around Capn Jack, could use some more aliens (Countrycide was just...eww). Hope to finish up the season today or tommorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree the sexuality of the entire cast is interchangeable except perhaps owen who i thought was gay but always came across as a red blooded heterosexual male (perhaps as an actor he is gay) its been a while since i watched Torchwood so don't quote me on it tho lol

I don't get how Ianto and Jack go from the stuff in "Cyberwoman" to all of a sudden in a bi/gay relationship? He really loved her, shown no signs of attraction to men, and all of a sudden he's all over Jack?

I don't mind the sexuality, I enjoy a more adult oriented show. I just dislike how, on a whims notice, any of the cast goes from heterosexual to bi/gay/omni etc

• 1 month later...

It seems like it's all over the place.  None of the characters are very well defined as to who they are, or what their personalities are like.  It's hard to believe that you can throw 5 random people together and end up with such an odd bunch.  Demographically, gays and bis only make up less that 5% of the population.