IRC Bot

Tinned_Tuna

Heya Guys,

If you remember the old Computer bot, I'm writing an IRC bot, with the aim of being easily extensible, and then using it to replicate Computer's functionality.

I was not around when Computer was in use, so I don't know what features it had, so what features would be necessary, which would be useful, and which would be nice?

What commands should it respond to?

So far, I've come up with the idea of having it kick anyone who tried to use it for warez (@search and @list) and have it respond to [command string] "what is" [object] with a wikipedia link to the object. That's it so far though.

The source code is at http://dannyturner.isa-geek.org:8888/TinnedBot.tar.gz

It's written in python, and so far I've only tested it on Mac OS X, it should run on Linux/*BSD. I doubt it will run on Windows.

So come on, hammer me with ideas! The code is GPL, though I haven't put license in the tar/gzip. If you do modify it, I'd be grateful if you sent any changes back to me.

Thanks!

[EDIT: The config is in irc.db which is a SQLite database. You will need to know a bit of SQL to configure it! I'm using SQLite as the commands that it responds to are going to be in a table, so that it can be truly extensible :-) ]

Just a quick question, has anyone tried to run this under windows yet? What were the results? (I don't have a windows machine, so I can't test this!)

Has anyone at all tried to run it? Any and all feedback, criticism (constructive preferably, but rants are also fun!) and comments are welcome.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...