ASUS Eee PC

hayden

The ASUS Eee Pc has recently been released in AUS and sold like hotcakes. With 80% of national stock sold within a couple of week. My PC has also recently died in the ass and i clearly need a new one. ive done some reading and they seem quite practical and im thinking the models currently on sale come with windows xp pre-installed.

Has anyone else had a look at these, what do you think?.. And if anyone has one, even better!

The only draw back is that it has a tiny solid state drive of max 8GB.. so that would be a hassle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

Yes, I read they're selling pretty well and I can't understand why. It's basically a mini laptop with the cpu power from 4 years ago, the screen/keyboard size from even longer ago, the disk space from the 90's and the price about $100 cheaper than a current cheap notebook. I really don't understand why anyone would want to buy one. They don't come with windows either, they come with a custom build linux distro (which is the only thing that makes the whole project possible without too much space and speed loss). They go from 2GB to 8GB if I'm up to speed. And price ranges from US$300 to US$450, where the main difference is an increase of storage from 2GB + 512MB RAM (fixed) for US$300 to 8GB + 1024MB (upgradable slots) for US$450. If you want to do anything with it, you'll need to buy an extra external hard disk, which will set you back another US$100 for anything half decent. The only benefit I can see in this thing, is it's small and portable while not getting extremely expensive, but for these things you pay dearly (serious sacrifice in functionality). Instead of getting one of these, I'd strongly recommend spending an extra US$150 and buy a good bargain US$600 laptop instead. Yes, there are good bargain laptops for that price, which offer 5 times the processor speed, 2-4 times the amount of ram, twice the resolution/screen size/keyboard size, 20 times the disk space, .... Seems like a no brainer to me. :)

Well, they're selling it as XP compatible, so I'd have assumed they wouldn't dare doing that when it couldn't run it, but remember, you'll have to buy yourself a new copy of win xp for that. Unless you have a spare unused one laying around, retail for that matter, as you can't use an oem version twice according to licencing agreements by MS. *grin*

Yeah, your not wrong that the only thing going for them is the size.. but it is appealing.. i did not realize however that even the display hardware is a few years out of date.. if they are cutting costs on things like that it does lose some appeal... the small keyboard didnt bother me all to much and the processor speed i dont think would effect it due to its size and the limited applications it would be able to run in the first place.

but after a few comments i see that another option would be better.. im still finding it hard to decide whether to get  a notebook or pc.

I`m baffled as to why anyone would buy one of these? In the Uk this is retailing at 234 pounds,the price of fairly decent laptop!

Theres a reason why this laptop doesnt come with XP installed and that is 512mb of PC2 5400 RAM (you can upgrade this to 1GB) and 900 MHz Intel celeron processor. Chug Chug..............is my response to that.

TetsuoShima will be pleased to know Skype is pre installed!

Follow my advice and wait for the 10 inch screen, coming out some time soon this year.

TetsuoShima will be pleased to know Skype is pre installed!

Haha, yeah. :D

I think Asus made some sort of deal with Skype, as they even have some motherboards with advanced 'bios' (not really the bios, but can't remember the name right now), that come with Skype in a pre-os environment, you can skype with those boards right out of the box (once ram, cpu, etc are installed).

Oh, btw, I just read a news report saying that Asus intends to release a eee pc with xp pre-installed in the US somewhere around April, following a sizeable customer demand for such a product. Pricing should be in the vicinity of US$500. Makes you wonder if people don't have too much spare cash to spend on gadgets, doesn't it... Maybe they should donate some more to good causes (like me, I'm a good cause :cyclops: )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have a few friends on my course with them.

They run Ubuntu reasonably well. The only problem is the SSD. Because it has limited writes.

You have to run Ubuntu like a live CD. So it doesn't make a swap partition.

Other than that, seems like a nice little toy. I found the keyboard hard to type on though.