10 things about Voyager

Rara Avis

1. Janeway's hairstyle only looked good in the ep "Living Witness". Otherwise, she looked like a transplanted grade school teacher.

2. Harry Kim was an idiot for not bitchin about having no promotion in 7 years. Especially considering how many times he came up with life saving ideas.

3. Tom Paris may  have been mildly retarded. Captain Protron. I rest my case.

4. I believe Janeway had the hots for Tuvok. Several times she is seen "stroking" his head. Oh yes!

5. B'Elanna Torres could have kicked anyone's butt in Starfleet when she got pissed enough. Bad mama, bad!

6. Why were there no "Mirror, Mirror type episodes???

7. Chakotay was way too laid back. How many times did he let Seska poop all over him? He should have snapped her back into last year!

8. The Doctor (EMH) was the best of all the Trek doctors! And he could sing!!!

9. Nelix, OMG. I rest my case!

10. No matter what the shipboard problem, deflector not working, transporter malfunction, toilet not flushing, just tighten the "angular confinement beam" and "POOF" - it's all good again!

1. Agreed, Janeway's hair was pretty much an unmitigated disaster for the duration... someone clearly thought that they needed to make her like Leia and that the hair had to make a statement... stupid.

2. Harry Kim was an idiot - period. His love life was a joke and he had almost as many different personalities as Janeway.

3. Paris had a personality bypass when he got shot to the Delta quadrant. He went from cowardly, double crossing traitor to hot shot braggart in about five minutes.

4. Janeway was just desperate for a shag but no one was crazy enough of tap that. Except Chakotay...

5. B'Elanna just acted like she was constantly PMS... someone needed to give her a slap.

6. You got me... You had "Living Witness" which was kind of close...

7. Chakotay was just dull... I suppose he was too busy to trying to seduce Janeway.

8. The Doctor was the best character in Voyager, no question about it.

9. Neelix, well - I always took consolation in the fact that there were plenty of episodes where he had to be in makeup for 5 hours.

10. That was the case with most Trek... Voyager just made it particularly endemic.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes in seasons 1-3 it looked like she had the hots for Chakotay too. Except if that was the case then it sure looked as if he had the hots for her. I don't think they ever got over 'scorpion' and their run-in with the borg.

On the episode they got marooned on that planet because she and Chakotay clearly showed closeness and more than a little subtext of romantic attraction.

Hilariously, they manage to dismiss it before the episode even ends as Janeway gives Chakotay a knowing look "what happened on that planet, stays on that planet."

Hmmm... Maybe there was a part of their stay that we did not see in that episode. Maybe they were hiding something from the audience too. The 'what happens on the mountain, stays on the mountain thing' does not inspire my trust very much. Who knows what they did on that planet together. Same thing goes for archer and hernandez. I only use that as a means of comparison.

Chakotay is a poo-tah. He had a good opportunity to nail Janeway in the ep "Shattered" (11x07). With the ship broken up into different timelines, he encounters Janeway (who thinks he's with the Marquis) and convinces her of the time differences throughout Voyager and that he's her first officer in the future. Later she asks him if they were intimate (in the future). He says no. Dummy should have said yes! Might have gotten an extra pip!  :p

I think that Janeway was before he opposed her one, two, three or more times. I really think Janeway had some private feelings for him but could not bring herself to opening up because of her command responsibilities. When scorpion came about and he opposed her for the first time, I think she lost interest in him. Then he opposed her again, and again.

Then comes 'Shattered' and Chakotay gets a second chance to... like you said there you know.

and he wasted his best chance to... you know.

and he never got it back, even when she lost her memory later that season.

To be honest by season seven it was a bit of a mystery as to why Chakotay was still first officer. It seems like at least half the time Janeway made a questionable decision - generally 3-4 times an episode - Chakotay would go "yeah, that's stupid." Not to mention the fact if her back was turned, he'd do the exact opposite of what she had ordered - Scorpion, for example.

I don't think anyone even came close in terms of combative first officer.

I think he might have felt on the inside that Janeway was a weak leader and that he would do a better job in her place. I think a question could be what would have happened to his career if he had not joined the Maquis? He was a Lt. Commander when he left but who knows, given some time he could have been a captain. If I recall correctly Riker had been offered a command when he was a Lt. Commander and turned it down to be Picard's First Officer. Picard promoted him to Commander before even seeing him.

Janeway did have a habit for making questionable decisions. The fact she could not defend these positions without pulling rank tells the audience of her command presence. It was too easy in my opinion for a guy like Chakotay, whose only fault was joining the Maquis, to question her decisions. I felt early on in the series that there was some disappointment that he would have to serve under her command. In 'Parallax' he asked her if she would have served under him if she ended up on his ship. Deep down maybe he was uncomfortable with the idea of serving under her. I agree with above posts that he probably had the hots for her.

When Chakotay joined the Maquis he had his own ship (small that it may have been). Maybe because of that he felt uncomfortable serving under her. Not easy for some guys to take the back seat to a woman. As I see it, he did his duty every time he questioned one of her decisions. That was his job as her first officer. Disobeying her direct orders, however, was a no-no. He should have been a stronger character. The writers made him look stupid every time he had an encounter with Seska (a very strong character herself).

I agree that Chakotay was a little stupid when it came to Seska. I guess he was easily impressed on that Maquis ship. Anyone who wanted to work for him he took on without too many questions asked.

As for him disobeying orders, perhaps in the strictest sense he did just that but there does come a point where an officer can use his better judgement to countermand orders. Luke Skywalker did that in ESB as he was a Commander despite being only 23 years of age. Picard broke rank many times as a captain, well once for sure that we know of (against Pressman). Riker broke rank when he refused to allow his captain to beam down to a planet which he felt was too dangerous to risk the captain's life. Chakotay made similar decisions, which places him alongside these other famous sci-fi characters. He made judgement calls and acted on them despite the chain of command. In most cases this would have been considered a quality of leadership, when in a position of responsibility and consequence, to know when your superior officer is wrong and to take the correct action. This however means taking a risk based on a judgement call. Maybe it will be right maybe it will be wrong, but that's all part of being a command level officer as Chakotay was. He would have been a bad first officer he didn't make the call so to speak. To be in a position of leadership like captain or first officer aboard a starship and be hesitant to make judgement calls because it could damage one's career is not the sign of a good leader. What's important is having a good superior officer who is comfortable in his/her command and not worried about being countermanded. A good leader rarely finds himself being countermanded.

To extend this a little further, Worf in my opinion is a perfect contrast to Chakotay and the others. He countermanded orders too, but not in a judgement call or professional obligation, he succumbed to passion over reason. He killed Duras out of vengeance and was reprimanded by Picard. As his later service up to 2374 shows this incident did not hinder his promotions nor his career prospects. Sisko was grooming him to command a starship. Only when Worf went back to rescue his wife did he get a second reprimand, and as Sisko put it, virtually destroyed his chances of a command in stafleet. This was the DS9 effect once again in full force, the idea that not all is guaranteed, rosy and utopian, but that there are consequences for one's actions. Worf's career was effectively stalled as he would never advance beyond what he was doing at DS9.

• 1 month later...

During the seventh season, the crew reminisced about their adventures. And when you listen to them, you really get an idea of how completely silly the series is.

"This could be the time Voyager was attacked by the telepathic pitcher plant. Or maybe it's the time aliens invaded our dreams."

Voyager was captured a few billion times, taken over by hostile aliens, a macrovirus, dozens of temporal phenomena, and a telepathic pitcher plant. Let's remember of course that Janeway somehow managed to open diplomatic relations with the Borg. And met Amelia Earhart, discovered a race of dinosaur people born from Earth and singlehandedly kicked the Delta Quadrant's ass into the stone age.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

During the seventh season, the crew reminisced about their adventures. And when you listen to them, you really get an idea of how completely silly the series is.

"This could be the time Voyager was attacked by the telepathic pitcher plant. Or maybe it's the time aliens invaded our dreams."

Voyager was captured a few billion times, taken over by hostile aliens, a macrovirus, dozens of temporal phenomena, and a telepathic pitcher plant. Let's remember of course that Janeway somehow managed to open diplomatic relations with the Borg. And met Amelia Earhart, discovered a race of dinosaur people born from Earth and singlehandedly kicked the Delta Quadrant's ass into the stone age.

voyager is def. one of the funniest star trek... though ds9 did have it's moments... But I mean you can't really come up with new ideas or words, sometimes you just have to use old words and hope they make it.

Another ten things about Voyager,

1. Chakotay probably should have been made a full commander considering all the stuff he did over 7 years, before getting back to the alpha quadrant.

2. That means that Tuvok could have been a Lt.Cmdr right from the start instead of a Lt.

3. Meaning that it would have been practical to start Paris and Torres at full Lt right away seeing how Torres was the chief engineer anyway, and possibly get a promotion to Lt.Cmdr later on.

4. Since Kim was a new officer anyway, the above meant that big ship or no big ship, he could have been promoted once or twice over the course of the series.

5. Who knows, with all the stuff about the Doctor being a person and all, he could have been commisioned by the end of the show's run. Question is, what rank would he get? I doubt he'd be happy being Wesley Crusher's equal.

6. And why not commission... no I won't say it. Not him.

7. How can a lowly Ensign like Kim order around a Lt?

8. Joe Carey must have been hopping mad when he was passed over for promotion to chief engineer. Question is, would he have been promoted to Lt. Cmdr over the course of the show's run.

9. After five years of space travel, the Ent-D needed cleaning so it could go warping around the cosmos again. Where did Voyager get its regular tune-up?

10. Janeway was either very nice when it came to ranks (Torres, Paris) or the biggest Starfleet slave master ever seen. To make the ship that spiffy clean and new every episode must have been tough.

That has been 10 things about Voyager. Some of it was for joke, some of it was an actual attempt at contributing good debate and discussion in what is a good topic. Sometimes I get a little silly and carried away about star trek discussion.

Another ten things about Voyager,

1. Chakotay probably should have been made a full commander considering all the stuff he did over 7 years, before getting back to the alpha quadrant.

yes, but, would a FIELD commission of full commander be possible? sure, they are in the delta quadrent and F starfleet (constantly used plot point of course), but janeway did try to stick the the regs for the most part. which i have to admit, id like to think that i would at least attempt to do the same in that position.  just a lil fuel for ur fire!

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Seven of Nine's "Dermaplastic Garment". WTF?

Her outfit is the only costume on the show where you can see the line of her panties as a relief underneath. Why wasn't she issued... you know... clothing? Like a pair of slack or a skirt and a top?

And considering how shameless the "uniform" was for her - how come when Seven travelled the corridors, gravity seemed to ignore her... extensions? I don't know about you, but wouldn't it take a stupendous feat of engineering to keep them from bouncing around like a pair of UFC fighters just after the first call?

Maybe that's where all the show's budget went after season 4.