star wars TV series in 2009?

bbbb

According to wikipedia there is a new star wars tv series coming sometime in 2009. It is supposed to be about the minor characters we've seen in the movies, like bounty hunters for instance. Does anyone know anything else about this new series? (if it comes at all, I remember it being announced back in 2005)

It's a bit surprising you haven't heard about this, TetsuoShima... I think they were harping on about it before Revenge Of The Sith even hit the cinemas...

Of course, the fact it's been getting toward 3 years is not hugely encouraging... to be honest, the problem with a license like this is - they know that sticking "Star Wars" on something is an easy way to guarantee viewers - regardless of quality.

I don't think star wars has ever succeeded on tv. For example the holiday special, it was not very successful. It is hard to bring a movie like star wars to the small screen. From what I've read in the past Lucas will start the series and then hand it off to others to continue. I remember reading that Lucas wanted to focus on smaller projects after ROTS. This is hard to do if he is trying to bring star wars to the small screen. I wonder how successful such a series would be.

The success of the star wars movies from what I could tell was because they were really fast paced movies, especially ANH and even ESB. I must admit a reason for making this topic was to reinvigorate star wars discussion to bring more people to the site and even bring back some other members.

I agree, bbbb... Star Wars had a fairly derivative plot... not particularly deep characters... it moved fast because it had to get from one action seen to the next... let's face it, the huge action scenes were pretty much the only reason people went to see the sequels... it wasn't the plot or character development.

Anakin: Palpatine is evil!

Mace Windu: Thanks Anakin, you did the right thing.

Palpatine: Kill Mace Windu!

Anakin: Hmm, that's probably evil - but sure.

Palpatine: Sorry old chap, your idiocy has now turned you to the dark side.

Anakin: But... you tricked me into doing that with your clever ruse. Can't I just say I'm sorry?

Palpatine: Nope... that's your character turned from good to evil...

Anakin: *shrugs* OK.

The very name 'Star Wars' infers Wars...............wars are usually large scale conflcts. To have a war in every episode would make this new TV series the most expensive show ever produced.......to not have a war in every episode would not be true to the form of Star Wars. They could of course rename the series Star Skirmishes  ;D

That made me laugh too.

Lucas doesn't strike me as the type to be too worried about costs. He spent a lot of money on the last 3 SW movies that I think he might be ok with spending a lot of money on the series too. He could have every episode having a big giant battle. It's been so long after making ROTS that he may just have lost of stories to tell us. Who knows he could have spent the last 3 years making the series and have 400 episodes to show us coming 2009.

The problem is keeping the interest of viewers. If they see new star wars epics every week they will tire of seeing these monstrous battles. How long do you think it would take for them to get tired of seeing such epics every week?

• 3 months later...