A Sad Day for UK Star Trek

Chiggy

FALSE ALARM  - SEE LAST POST

You have probably heard the bad news by now .......but in case you havent Virgin 1 is moving to Sky Channel 121.  Virgin 1 is thus destined to become just another Star Trek channel.

Every week night was a happy time for DS9 fans and now that is gone. Each episode had around 210,000 UK viewers.

Well it looks like I`ll just have to settle with those midnight showings of TNG on BBC2!

Do you think DS9 will pull more viewers in the UK now it is with Sky?

I think Virgin are in for a shock. The reason why the attracted so many viewers was because they offered shows which were not available on other UK terrestrial channels. They marketed themselves as the 'the new home of Star Trek', a clever marketing ploy because they knew that they were exploiting a niche. Since every other Sky channel is showing Star Trek there is no niche to exploit. They will probably get even less viewers on Sky, silly really when you consider advertising generates the majority of revenue for the channel.

I feel a little let down by Virgin, since I watched every episode of Star Trek they aired.