The Accients

Ulysses

First of all, do excuse me if the question I have was covered in SG-1 as I have not really watched them.

I was just thinking about the whole stargate thing and about the accients, was there through-out in stargate where any of the episodes covered going back in time to the time when the acceints where actually around? 

If not I was just thinking it would be a nice angle for ST:A

There was, it was called Before I slept. Were they actually ancients? I get confused.

Well, I'm sure they were the race that ascended to become the Ancients but they were still regular people, pre-ascension, that put Wier into stasis.

Honestly, some of you people must be sleeping through these episodes.

The Ancients were pre-ascended, hence the whole alliance of four races thing and so on... and yes, the period before the evacuation of Atlantis is shown with some brevity in the aforementioned episode. They don't say a whole lot about it... mostly that the Ancients were a bunch of woosies and that after totally spazzing up in an obvious ambush, there wasn't any choice for them to do anything beyond run off to Earth with their tales between their legs.

Strikes me as a bit asinine to just leave behind an entire galaxy that you seeded with human life to be dominated by a race who will treat humans as little more than food.

Strikes me as a bit asinine to just leave behind an entire galaxy that you seeded with human life to be dominated by a race who will treat humans as little more than food.

Yes but as a race working towards ascension they could only do so much. Battling the wraith and developing the replicators as a weapon were stages along the path they realised they had to go.

I'm too lazy to check the creative teams but I think SGA wanted to overturn the SG-1 concept of the Ancient's technology as insta-win Deus Ex plot devices. Naturally, when I say "overturn" I actually mean retcon because the beam weapons the Asgard gave the Orion and Daedulus just insta-schooled Ancient Replicator copies of Ancient ships.

Now, you're going to say "But 10, surely the Asgards had 10,000 years to add more win to their weapons!" Yes, I'd give you that but at the same time, we have to recall the Asgard were unable to defeat the Replicators and that they had the Ancient database but "had barely scratched the surface". I suppose we might conclude that the Ancients didn't spend so much time on weapons but even so, you'd think when pressed - they could come up with some. All in all, it makes for a rather contradictory picture of the technical prowess of the Lanteans.

quite true, in one breath you have the whole "enlightenment" concept of non-interference and the other of the warring factions. Ok, so you can say one before the other but TBH I think fitting everything into a timeline is easily forgotten if they have a plotline that they deem interesting.

btw glad I'm not the only one who can't be bothered trying to find out which episode "x" happened. I've watched them all, got many on seasonal DVD (but not all), and can remember what has happened (and thats more important to me :D)

Honestly, some of you people must be sleeping through these episodes.

The Ancients were pre-ascended, hence the whole alliance of four races thing and so on...

Weren't the pre-ascended Ancients known as Alterans? (Among other names.) And in time they became know as the Ancients?

Yeah, the Ancients were also known - originally - as the Alterans. The Ori broke off from them. Lanteans is seemingly how the Ancients/Alterans in the Pegasus Galaxy were referred to.

I could forgive confusing the terms... they never made them particularly clear.