Eidos says: Dr. Who game 'not too far away'

TetsuoShima

http://www.videogaming247.com/2008/03/04/eidos-doctor-who-game-not-too-far-away-for-pc-ps2-and-ds/

Eidos has just confirmed that the previously known Doctor Who game on its books will be revealed soon and is in development for PC, PS2 and DS. Firm details are under wraps at the moment, but it doesn’t sound as though you’re going to be waiting too long.

W00t!!! :D

TBH I cant ever remember a decent Dr who game being made

I enjoy playing the games the bbc have on their Doctor Who website. Kind of old school, but then I'm old. :) Too bad they never make games for macs. I'd love to own one. :(

If I had the programming knowledge Id do my own. It would be some kind of 1st/3rd person adventure with levelling up to be able to regenerate through the Docs lives. Perhaps even go online giving people the choice to be Daleks, Cybermen, Sea Devils etc, Id just love that.

But in the end I bet its gonna be some lame arcadey shooter or point n click thing.

Someone was right in saying the should do it for Wii then we could use a virtual sonic screwdriver etc.

Doctor Who doesn't really translate well into game form, imho.  It's the whole 'let's run away from the evil aliens until we figure out how to outwit them' flow of the series... it's not what most people look for when it comes to games.  Then again... I think that a traditional adventure game format (i.e. things like Space Quest or King's Quest) would capture the series best, and bigger players in the game industry (i.e. like Eidos) wouldn't touch THOSE with a ten foot pole.

As for the mini games on the BBC... those would be as much Doctor Who games as a 'Doctor Who' pinball machine would be: fairly generic games with Doctor Who trappings wrapped around them, but very easy to theme as anything else.

Note: I have no problems with pinball machines, but a Doctor Who pinball machine is not very different from a Wild West pinball machine... or a Smurfs pinball machine. :/

• 1 month later...

"In later news, the new Doctor Who game is going to be a variant on pong."

... I wouldn't get too excited until I find out exactly what sort of game they're planning on making it.  :/

A pong game? I can make one myself without any effort at all. A pong game does no good for the franchise at all. It would be like Star Trek Pinball. I played that one for two minutes than thought, ok NEXT!