Dr Who S4E02 - The Fires Of Pompeii 6:45PM *GMT*

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 2 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at a later (than last week) time than usual time of 6:45pm (GMT) [/glow]

Synopsis:

In the episode, the Doctor and Donna arrive in Pompeii in AD 79, just before the eruption of Mount Vesuvius, where they find psychic powers and beasts made of stone.[5] They must make their hardest decision to date: stop the attack or let history take its course.

I really enjoyed this one. Again,we didnt see an annoying Catherine Tate, the emotional scenes were quite charming and well played. Sometimes the historical stories dont work (for me) but this did.

We didnt see enough of the Pyroviles (?) or whatever they were called, they had potential, like 'stone' Transformers LOL

At the beginning I thought those religious women were going to be the Sisterhood of Karn, especially when the TARDIS had moved, shame they werent though.

Sonic screwdriver wasnt over-used either thankfully, just the once, but THE best bit surely had to be the water pistol, I laughed until I cried :)

I didnt notice any series links or anything like that, might have towatch again, but I think it was just a solo story.

Ood next week!

Fun fun fun and more fun. Did I mention this was a fun episode. :cyclops:

The only thing that was a bit 'annoying' was the catapulting stone escape pod capsule coming out of the volcano, was a bit over the top imo.

The bit with the household gods at the end was marvellous. :D

I had a blast with the waterpistol bit too. Gotta sting, LOL.

ed.: typo, any more?

I didnt notice any series links or anything like that, might have towatch again, but I think it was just a solo story.

What do you mean by series links? Do you mean like "Bad Wolf" "Torchwood" or "Saxon"? I'm not sure yet either, but I do feel the need to point out that this is the second episode in a row that the "Shadow Proclamation" has been mentioned. By far not the first time either (first time being way all of the way back to Series one, episode one: "rose), but it would be nice to finally delve more into what this actually means in the Whoniverse.

AWESOME episode by the way. Absolutely up there with the best of the new series!

I do not think it is the second one...

I believe I have heared about the Shadow Proclamation more than 2 times...

Anyway, I like that too, except Tate showing that typical pitiful human feature not to see farther on like her nose...

Notice to Donna: "You can not tinker with history babe! For further details ask your local Time Lord!" :D

I do not think it is the second one...

I believe I have heared about the Shadow Proclamation more than 2 times...

As I said, The Shadow Proclamation has been brought up from time to time, but not in every single episode, and I don't believe in more than one episode in a row. We're two episodes into the new series and The Shadow Proclamation has already been mentioned twice now. That leads me to believe that it will play a larger role this year.

They've mentioned the Shadow Proclamation a few times but even though it has been mentioned twice in a week, it's not like the Doctor was shooting off about it all of season 3.

Anyway, I'm sure all of you will be shocked to hear me say I thought this was actually a pretty good episode. Maybe that's because it's always just such a relief to escape contemporary London... but I really enjoyed the setting. The fact the episode was more serious than last week was good - the back slapping humour that is so obvious a child would find it patronising never does much for me - and we had some suspense before we actually had a clue as to what was going on (compared to last week where we instantly knew it was Adipose up to some sinister plot).

Tate said mercifully little... It's obvious why they're using the character. She's not there to swoon over the Doctor and meekly do what he says... if she could do that without the Avery Brooks style of acting, i might be able to tolerate her. Just.

The story was fun, it was all interlinked and we had the element of the predetermination, mystery, suspense. They didn't give the game away in the first 30 seconds. Which I approve of... it's not quite the multiple episode arc with lots of cliffhangers but it's as close as you can get in a single episode. The effect were pretty cool - even if a giant lava monster being fazed by a water pistol is monumentally improbable.

As is typical of RTD's MO, it overdid the schmaltz and angst... but it was still fun. It'll be interesting to see the Oooooooood next week.

It started terribly, but overall it was a pretty good episode.  They really have to mention something about what that 'Shadow Proclamation' is all about, given they've been mentioning it all through the new series.  Who made it?  What are the terms of it?  Why is it so bloody binding for otherwise evil aliens?

Sorry, but Tate's lines were generic companion-speak.  You could insert ANY of the previous new series companions in there and they'd probably say mostly the same, probably word for word.  Seriously, It sounded like they were still writing for previous companions.

Gar... this episode had all the historical accuracy of a prehistoric diesel engine... but that's no surprise.  Doctor Who has never been known for it's historical accuracy. ;)

Doctor Who has never been known for it's historical accuracy. ;)

True but they have been spookily accurate with certain things like 'female Prime Minister' (Terror Of The Zygons) 4 years before Thatcher and foreseeing the end of the Cold War (Invasion Of The Dinosaurs) 16 years before it ends, and a few other things I cant quite remember. :)

I did rather like this episode, yeah. Catherine Tate is no where near as bad as I think she could have been.

I did also really love the setting of this episode, and it was really refreshing to be "out-n'-about" in Pompey - it looked lovely! I don't really care if it wasn't authentic or anything - it still looked bloody brilliant :D

As for the villian of this story, well, the old guy "Lucious" (sp?) was a bit weak, and all talk, really, but the lava guys looked nice. And yeah, the water pistol was funny. :D

So overall, another funny episode with a great setting and a not-so-annoying Tate. It's all good. ;)

Thinking on this episode, wouldn't it be interesting if this meddling he did in saving that family ended up causing problems for the Doctor later on this season?

"Next up: The Doctor vs. Roman Consul Aulus Hostilius Mancinus.  Will Thessaly fall to uncovered Silurian technology, or can the Doctor avert disaster?"  (yeah, right. ::) )

• 3 weeks later...