PC Case Modding

Rara Avis

I have an old metal toolchest on casters (H=23.5" x W=18" x D=11") that I would like to turn into a dual motherboard PC case. It would have separate PSs for each MB, separate DVD/CD, etc. It's totally doable, however, I am having trouble finding the interior frame work for the HDDs and whatnot. I certainly don't want to buy 2 cases just to gut them (this is a shoestring project). My question: does anybody here know where I might be able to get the internal framework I need without making them myself from scratch? I've tried a ton of PC mod web sites and done extensive web searches without success.

so, you have the motherboards, the cpus, the power supplies, the drives, the memory, the fans, and the home-made case.

all you need is enclosures for the drives? or the internal frames to hold them?

do you have neighbors or local churches that might be upgrading and getting rid of their older stuff? I'm sure there must be local parts around for a nominal fee. strip them from the older cases or you might have to build from scratch. soldering is easier than welding. sheet metal is sharp. be careful.

have you planned on the increased heat from two boards running in the same case? access to both boards for replacement/repairs? this sounds really interesting. I'm guessing you will network the system to access both boards? Linux and Windows running separately, maybe?

I did a rapid search (10 mins or so) about a double mobo case and, according to this 2 links there is not much to be say left.  :(

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/archive/index.php/t-2513.html

http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2002-February/006147.html

But I found this instead and it says: "Build a Hackintosh Mac for Under $800" 

http://lifehacker.com/software/hack-attack/build-a-hackintosh-mac-for-under-800-321913.php

And if I was you, and if you can buy this parts easily within fare price, I would be trying to sell all that on e-?ay or somewhere else, cause I see that  a lot lot better than trying to make a dbz "pHEWshan!"  :D with two mobos, 2 hard drives, etcetera. But I really dunno if that can be your case, hope this may result useful to you).  I´m willing to make my own hackintosh or if I can collect the parts taking my time, that would certainly count as a major upgrade next time. ;) (the "choosen" one u no B))

so, you have the motherboards, the cpus, the power supplies, the drives, the memory, the fans, and the home-made case.

all you need is enclosures for the drives? or the internal frames to hold them?

do you have neighbors or local churches that might be upgrading and getting rid of their older stuff? I'm sure there must be local parts around for a nominal fee. strip them from the older cases or you might have to build from scratch. soldering is easier than welding. sheet metal is sharp. be careful.

have you planned on the increased heat from two boards running in the same case? access to both boards for replacement/repairs? this sounds really interesting. I'm guessing you will network the system to access both boards? Linux and Windows running separately, maybe?

Yeah, I have 2 @ MBs/HDDs/PSs/etc. I only need the internal framework to hold the HDDs/Floppy/DVD-CD players. No, no churches around I'd be comfortable walking into to ask if they have old computers they want to ditch and I'd rather not fabricate from scratch. Been so long since I've been in a church, the damn building just might fall down!  :p  As for the heat dissipation, there's plenty of room for a few 120mm fans as well as some 80s. Access would be quite easy as there's a large front door on the toolchest. I would turn the case around and this would be on the back. There's enough of a "lip" around the door for cut-outs for the MB hookups. I suppose I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for old computers put out for the trash (haven't seen any as yet).

dr_strekge, I saw those pages as well. Like I said, I have searched and searched on the web to no avail. I no longer have an Ebay account (more trouble than it was worth) so that is out.

lol, it doesn't have to be religious building. schools change out/upgrade systems every few years also. Businesses do it regularly. Every community has people trying out the new stuff every day and getting rid of the older machines. Maybe there is a local newspaper listing of someone selling a cheap machine? Or you might have an older pentium pc sitting in storage? Tear that thing apart and use it. The components are antique but the steel frame is what you need for parts.

Or you might have an older pentium pc sitting in storage?

:D

I almost choked when I read that, I must be really old. :'(

I've got Pentium's, 486's, 386s, 286's and 8088 old systems in cases laying around my basement still. (Among older non-pc based systems.)

You should try a few internet cafe's or a few friends and relatives.. I know ive got 3 sitting my garage atm and im continuously pestered about when im going to get rid of them, so i'm thinking that will hold true for most people.

And i also know that around here we've got a yearly street clean up when you throw all your rubbish out and the council comes and collects it all. And its progressive so its on in a suburb pretty close most of the time. If you have something similar to that, that would be a gold mine.

Or you might have an older pentium pc sitting in storage?

:D

I almost choked when I read that, I must be really old. :'(

I've got Pentium's, 486's, 386s, 286's and 8088 old systems in cases laying around my basement still. (Among older non-pc based systems.)

you're lucky you have them in a basement. My older stuff is still scattered around the house and even my garage. I need a pickup truck to haul it away and I don't own one.  :'( I'm such a bad redneck boy. No truck.

We have something here where you can donate any old PC. They are refurbished (if possible) and shipped off to third world countries (last I heard anyway). You can get a tax break. Probably why I haven't seen any out by the street waiting for trash pickup. Folks around here are deadly serious about recycling. There used to be a place across the river from me where you could get parts but they closed up last year.

One thing I forgot to mention about the needed interior framework: I also need the case "face plate". Need two matching ones for symmetry (preferably from a mid-tower). If anybody has two matching face plates and the frame work lying around (no 286/386/486 stuff, too old looking) I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Shipping paid by me. Just need a pic of what they look like.

I have an idea hopfully somebody will no what the hell i am talking about but.

A long time ago there was a case that you could buy that you built yourself it was kind of like a big mecanno set I dont think there was any metal sheeting available with it.  It was just like a frame that you could configure yourself you would sit the drives and motherboard inside it.

Sorry tried to find it but cant remember what it was called I think it would be perfect for you you could just lift the components out of your toolbox enclosure easily then.