Government confiscate life savings

TFMF

Hmm, might be injust, but it's also incredibly stupid of those people to keep so much money in their home, sure it's their right, but that doesn't mean it's less stupid. It's basically asking to be robbed in todays society. People have been killed for far less. What's more, by keeping so much cash in your home, you are placing suspicion on yourself in the eyes of any government agency. Cash can be used much easier for 'illegal acticities' than electronic money. I'd also bet that if they got it back, they can expect a visit from the IRS, in which case, they're likely to again lose a large portion. For good, that time.

In any case, I'd expect that there is something more going on then just what is described in this acticle, since it makes it sound plain silly. Then again, who ever said that governments are always just was an even bigger fool then these people.

As far as the land confiscation is concerned, there are such laws in nearly entire Europe, though obviously, there is more going on then just "generate more tax revenue", such statements, in my eyes, makes this a poorly (read inaccurately), written article, that seems to be aimed at creating sympathy for these people, instead of telling the objective truth of the matter. Then again, who ever said that newspapers write objectives truths was probably just as much of a fool as the one who said governments are always just.

Newspapers are rarely to be trusted fully and governments rarely pass laws that are completely in your favour.

Still, if these people are legit, I do hope they get their hard earned cash back. :)

I'd also bet that if they got it back, they can expect a visit from the IRS, in which case, they're likely to again lose a large portion. For good, that time.

They may get an audit, but if the courts judge that they can have their money back, the IRS can't touch savings unless it sits in a bank accruing interest. They can't tax your earnings twice, no matter HOW big your piggy bank is.

Yeah, well... to be honest - it's generally better to have your savings in a bank. You may have to haemorrhage what meagre interest you gain to the frakking government to pay for poor people to have more babies but your money is pretty safe... I mean, if that guy hadn't shot people... they may have made off with his money... and where would he have been?

They may get an audit, but if the courts judge that they can have their money back, the IRS can't touch savings unless it sits in a bank accruing interest. They can't tax your earnings twice, no matter HOW big your piggy bank is.

True enough, let me expand on what I meant with that comment though: if they have all their money in cash in a safe at home, it would seem pretty certain to me that they didn't pay all their taxes correctly in the previous years, not that it's impossible, it just seems unlikely to me.

(maybe I'm just too suspicious of human honesty where money is concerned)