Dr Who S4E03 - Planet Of The Ood 6:20PM *GMT*

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 3 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at an earler (than last week) time than usual time of 6:20pm (GMT) [/glow]

Synopsis:

The Doctor and Donna land on an ice planet called the Ood-Sphere, and the Doctor discovers what drove the Ood to become a servant race.

Topic locked until after airing

The Ood are not a powerful enemy, at all, but I think what makes these episodes exciting is the mystery behind what's making them insane. I wasn't too sure what it might have been, but I was glad it kept me guessing.

Overall I liked it, but it did have its poorer moments. Donna was also slightly more annoying in this episode, but still bareable.

And yes, several little "hints" in this episode. Again we hear about those bees! And also, what Ulysses said above about what the Ood said to the Doctor in those final few minutes - very exciting. :D

i know the his song must end was quite scary

and the bees i did notice that

but had forgotten it

anyhow it was an ok ep

it wasn't a bad ep but it wasn't the best dr who ep

i enjoyed it

donna was ok

she is quite funny but like i can see why tfmf found her annoying

can't wait for the next ep

hmm, yes, the doctor's song must end?

Could I read Tennant's last season in this?

Another doctor next year?

If so, they're starting to run out of lives for the doctor...

I think they have binned the limited number of lives thing

I liked the episode and seeing some background of the Ood, but I wasn't really into the whole 3 brain thing, one in the head, hand and a hole. Weird. :thinking:

Another doctor next year?

If so, they're starting to run out of lives for the doctor...

No worries, when the Doctor looked into the Eye of Harmony in the 1996 movie his regenerations were reset inadvertently by the Master. :thinking:

I only care about watching Rose again, for me she was the only sidekick with balls! :D

That's not why I like watching Rose. :P ;D

04C6135110.jpg

You sure about those lives?

Mind you I'm a Dr. Who n00b, but I've seen the movie some time ago, didn't they say he had only 13 lives? I checked on wiki before posting, there's also a reference about him having only 13 lives, I only skimmed it though, so maybe there's also a reference about the limited number being 'corrected'. I'd appreciate it, if any of you could point me to a respectable trustworthy source. :)

A hint at Tennant's exit, eh? I'd rather Donna exits... into some form of crushing device... that tragically killed Catherine Tate in real life.

Still, she's not really saying a huge amount in this episode either... and we dodged contemporary Earth (read, London) again. Shocking.

The guy becoming Ood felt so contrived. It was almost as if someone went "oh, we've got a few extra minutes and some special effects money to blow!"

Overall, a fairly middle of the road episode... We've yet to see any real fear factor though.

its the girls

how typical :P

thinking in stereotypes...

how typical...

As I said, I like her character, not her boobs...

She had balls, she did when she had to what she had to...

I am watching it for the story, only for the story, for nothing else.

13 is right. (1 + 12 regenerations)

From everything I've heard, the regeneration limit isn't natural but was an agreed upon limit set by the Time Lords. But the Time Lords are dead, so who's going to enforce the law on the Doctor when the time comes?

Anyways, I still don't think the transformation from Troughton to Pertwee was a true regeneration since it was forced by the Time Lords and not because he was on death's door. It shouldn't count. As far as I'm concerned, Tennant is playing the Ninth Doctor, not the Tenth, so there's at least one extra regeneration they can feasibly stretch it to (if they want).

For the Troughton to Pertwee one, I think it DOES count.  There are suggestions later in the series that the Time Lords made use of him for various dirty deeds before wiping his memory of it, tweaking his brain to forget time/space mechanics, and regenerate... so there's no telling how long he went in his second form.  Even ignoring that, forcing a regeneration wouldn't be much of a punishment if it didn't count. ^^'

Anyways, didn't Rassilon set the regeneration limit so as to try and prevent the stagnation that eventually happened anyways?  (i.e. unlike the Sisterhood...)  I wonder if Rassilon is even canon in the new series anymore? ^^'

This wasn't so bad an episode.  What is it about creatures with tentacle-mouths that associates them with brains?  Brains all around! ^^  (Illithid for tea, anyone?)

As for the Ood... the outer brain doesn't make all that much sense.  On a harsh, winter planet, you'd think that evolving a mostly unprotected exterior brain would be a rather... unproductive adaption.  "Oh, yeah!  It's freezing and cold on this planet, so why don't we take something as vulnerable as brain tissue and externalize it so it gets exposed to all that harsh cold and wind!  That's going to improve our survival rate, right?"

Of course, that's scientific nitpicking. ^^'

A friend of mine wrote an article for a fansite about the idiocy of a creature with an external brain... and a giant master brain under the ice. Or possibly how evolution was just having a laugh... it seems fairly idiotic than any race could develop like they could naturally.