Solar Powered iPhones!!

hayden

These little babies could soon be even more portable. A patent recently found by  MacRumors reveals that Apple is trying to obtain a patent for a technology which could provide solar energy for their iPhones.

"The most interesting technique described by Apple, however, is the integration of the solar panels behind the actual LCD screen of a portable device. The solar panel would absorb ambient light that passes through the LCD screen of the device. This could eliminate any additional footprint typically required by the solar panels. If successfully implemented, Apple's iPhone, iPod and laptops, could require no outward changes in design to add solar power."

022306-solarcells_400.png

Full Story HERE.

I think this looks amazing, imagine only having to plug our phone to charge in rainy weather.. All you would have to do is leave it on your window sill when not using it..

I wonder how it would cope with heat issues deriving from leaving your phone setting in the sun? There would have to be corrosion issues with plastics, because people would be leaving it out in the sun for longer periods.

I'm not too fond of the word 'patent' in cases such as these, which qualify imo as 'trivial'.

I'm not to sure what your getting at? Are you saying that just because its a patent it doesn't mean jack that they'll use it.. They just want to stop other people from using it??

What I mean is that this is not even close to being worth awarding a patent. Most of these patents that are awarded are in fact nothing more than the combination of technology that's already existent. Only yesterday I read that a company (the name is not important) was awarded a patent on a technology that reads global positioning information from 3 different networks (the american, the european and the russian) instead of the usual 1. Again a trivial patent. I really don't understand why such patents are even seriously considered, let alone actually granted...

I think the idea is what's amazing... Imagine if all portable devices had a way to recharge themselves? Think of the CO2 footprint of the laptop that you use, the cell phone, the mp3 player... all require to be recharged... I think it's great that people are thinking this way, let alone a large company.

What I mean is that this is not even close to being worth awarding a patent. Most of these patents that are awarded are in fact nothing more than the combination of technology that's already existent. Only yesterday I read that a company (the name is not important) was awarded a patent on a technology that reads global positioning information from 3 different networks (the american, the european and the russian) instead of the usual 1. Again a trivial patent. I really don't understand why such patents are even seriously considered, let alone actually granted...

With a perception like that, would you say that computers are all the same technology just altered and made a bit better or smaller.. Does that mean that all the profits should go to the person that invented the abacus or one of those stupid room sized computers? Or that Thomas Edison should get the recognition for Nikola Tesla's work because he discovered AC and not DC just because he had results first?? Its a bit flawed i should think.. Some may be trivial, but its the idea thats awarded the patent.

It's a trivial idea, there's a clause in the patent law that says trivial patents are not valid.

Not even when they're awarded, so what's the point awarding them at all.

Your arguement is flawed in the sense that you say not all computers are the same, but that's because they use different instruction sets, for example, if you want a pc that runs windows, you can bet that Intel get's it's share of that, since every single company that wants to build an x86 processor has to aquire a licence from Intel (even though the original x86 patent has long since expired, there have been so many additions to it, that in essence, if you want to build a current working x86 processor, you'll need a licence from Intel). The same goes for ARM/Power/etc/.. except in those cases it's not Intel.

What is happening here, in this specific patent case, is (in computer analogy, be it very much simplified), I take a processor and a chipset (both already existent) and I take a patent on the combination of the two... It's not quite the same but in the abstract, that's what this patent amounts to:

The abstract of the patent:

Solar cells are integrated into a portable device. Multiple cells are arranged on the surface of the device such that a number of solar cells may always be functional and produce a desired voltage even if the rest is obstructed. Information regarding solar cells' functions or performances can be displayed either on the device's main display or on top of the solar cells. Solar cells are typically stacked with other layers made of transparent or semi-transparent materials. These layers are glued with shock absorbent materials. Some of these layers may be used for display or input purposes, and some layers may be coated with various materials or they may be etched with product logos or other patterns. This stack of layers may be attached to the device's frame through a shock absorber.

Link to patent case

There is NOTHING new in this patent, the only thing that's new, is the combination.

If you read the claims, you'll soon find that they are laughable, in terms of new. the Improved clause... maybe...(I'm not that much into most recent solar panel/touch sreen tech)

A patent cannot be granted to an idea btw:

A patent cannot be obtained upon a mere idea or suggestion. The patent is granted upon the new machine, manufacture, etc., as has been said, and not upon the idea or suggestion of the new machine. A complete description of the actual machine or other subject matter for which a patent is sought is required.

http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/what.htm

My point is, patents on simple combinations of already existent tech should never be granted.

Or maybe I just find things trivial more rapidly compared to other people?

I'm not sure what else to explain or how to expand, since in my view, most of your post has no bearing on mine and I don't understand how you arrive at your conclusions on my view. Maybe you're just misunderstanding me, but this is "as detailed as it gets". =D

Yes, it did get very detailed... But even in your own quote of the patent laws:

A patent cannot be obtained upon a mere idea or suggestion. The patent is granted upon the new machine, manufacture, etc., as has been said, and not upon the idea or suggestion of the new machine. A complete description of the actual machine or other subject matter for which a patent is sought is required.

I believe this is a new manufacturing process, and that grants some admission.. But still i will try to explain what i meant earlier.. I felt that you were saying that this solar panel is the same as any other Lego one that 10 year olds play with, and why should apple get a patent for using them in there products..

But i would differ, because no one has been able to integrate solar tech with a portable hand held device before, and do have developed that manufacturing process grants merit.

But from what you said in your previous post, i would most definitely agree with that, but i'm not sure if it really applies in this case. I think it should be given more credit than you think, its no minor alteration of a technology.. Its bound to change the way these devices are manufactured an clearly apple wants its credit.