Dr Who S4E08 Silence In The Library (1 of 2)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 8 of the 2008 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]This Episode will air at 7:00pm (GMT +1) [/glow]

Synopsis:

The Doctor and Donna visit an abandoned outer space library, discovering the Vashta Nerada, which lurk in the darkness as well as the terrifying Nodes and the Data Ghosts. They meet Professor River Song, an archaeologist, and also encounter the hideous Suit Creature.

No way, it was rather good. Different and mysterious, a little crazy yes but definitely Steven Moffat.

Just who really is Dr River Song and why does she have a sonic screwdriver that she said the Doctor gave her in 'his' future? She also appeared to have a blaster that shoots square holes, just like jack's back in The Empty Child/Doctor Dances (also Moffat). She also knows of Donna Noble. Hmmm gets you thinking doesnt it?

Whats the connection with the little girl who appears to be in our present day.

It felt like a classic series story to me and just the kind of stuff I can watch again. Guess well just have to wait til next week now :(

PS Ill have to watch again tomorrow but Im sure when the camera passed the little girl just as the Doctor (psychiatrist) was about to tell her about the Library, youll see 2 childish drawing on the wall, one definitely looks like a wolf and the other appeared to be a blonde girl...Rose/Bad Wolf perhaps? Intriguing.

wow

i didn't notice the picture

yeah it is really really good

though

I think donna dies, not yet like but when she asked the girl what happened to her ehh it didn't look promising. You don't think like the girl is on the same world as rose probably not like but it was justa thought

Well theres only 5 episodes left this year and weve still got the

Davros/Dalek story to come, however theyre going to come into the season story arc (if any). Then theres the episode where its just the girls in the TARDIS without the Doctor.

So I think we should start seeing some more juicy plotlines.

Strange how this episode talked a lot about spoilers and plotlines, probably just an in-joke though.

Really great!

Interesting that the Doctor named a bunch of his adversaries and this was the only one he said to run from.

Hmmm, data ghosting, sounds different and I guess quite plausible.

I'm pretty sure what "4022 saved" means that they've been saved/incorporated into the Library itself. :thinking:

Yeah. She'll probably die in the next ep.

I hope not. I like her. Sort of reminds me when she played a doctor on ER.  ;D

As for who she is...

She can either be a new character which we will be introduced to when Moffat takes over and regenerates the doctor -or- it's a past character that has returned and has been changed (like if Susan was timelord and regenerated... Face of Boe said the Doctor wasn't the last timelord, maybe the master wasn't the only one that survives the timewar).

Now the Doctor himself kept a diary at some point and the fact that she has his sonic screwdriver (she said he gave it to her) and she didn't remember him being "so young" and they go "way back" and she tried to get him to regognize her by looking at her face, well this being science-fiction, she could well be a future regeneration of The Doctor.. hmm...

As a female archeologist who knows about the Doctor, time travel, the tardis, etc.. she does have a passing resemblance to Bernice Summerfield.

This felt the EXACT same as the last two parter. Without knowing it was, I could tell by the lack of anything substantial happening in the first 15 minutes barring the teaser it was a two-parter. Seriously, are they struggling for ideas and just drawing these ideas out over 2 episodes to fill the episode quota?

Other than the dearth of material, this was a decent episode. The "spoiler" thing was a bit irritating - RTD has a real penchant for them but I suppose they could have played this more. They definitely need to try and pace these two parters better though... just because you've got 2 episodes - doesn't mean you need to wait until part 2 for it!

This felt the EXACT same as the last two parter. Without knowing it was, I could tell by the lack of anything substantial happening in the first 15 minutes barring the teaser it was a two-parter. Seriously, are they struggling for ideas and just drawing these ideas out over 2 episodes to fill the episode quota?

Other than the dearth of material, this was a decent episode. The "spoiler" thing was a bit irritating - RTD has a real penchant for them but I suppose they could have played this more. They definitely need to try and pace these two parters better though... just because you've got 2 episodes - doesn't mean you need to wait until part 2 for it!

Tenebrae, you have hit the nail on the head with what you said which is what I also thought

You lot suck.

I loved this episode. It rocked.

It had a quality to it that the past 5 or 6 episodes haven't really had. It reminded me of Blink "Stay out of the shadows!" It had loads of :O moments as well as a lot of mystery and unanswered questions - excellent cliffhanger, which Moffat has always been good at.

I do fear they will fail on the second part of this story, like they did with the Sontaran story this season, but hopefully Moffat won't make that mistake. :)

*off-topic alert*

Well, I preferred the second Sontaran one to the first.

I never heard any American accents in that group of UNIT folks and yet they supposedly had U.S nuke codes? mwhahahahahaha, unlikely, especially after a president was killed on tv by alien thingies.